When is it too early to start preparing

Miami781

When is it too early to start preparing

Postby Miami781 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:34 pm

When is it too early to start preparing for the LSAT's / When should I start preparing, I just bought the Power Score LSAT bible trilogy going into my junior year of undergrad. Do most people take the LSAT's the end of their junior or early senior year? I searched the forums and got mixed answers so I thought to start a new discussion.

Thank you for your input!

Tiago Splitter

Re: When is it too early to start preparing

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

You can take it anytime going forward, but June after junior year seems to be a popular option. Allows for an October re-take if necessary and lets you study for some time after your school finals are over. Studying too far ahead of time could cause you to forget stuff you had learned early in the process, so I'd say no earlier than January if you are taking in June.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Studying too far ahead of time could cause you to forget stuff you had learned early in the process

It also causes you to run out of fresh material and get burned out.

But yea, June after Junior year is a great option. Though I'd put off studying until after the New Year, probably closer to March.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Personally I think 3 months minimum and 6 months maximum. More than 6 months and you burn out and run out of prep materials

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:18 pm

I would say 6-7 months is an absolute maximum. A cold diagnostic and a goal from there should give you a better idea of how much work you'll need to put in.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:18 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Personally I think 3 months minimum and 6 months maximum. More than 6 months and you burn out and run out of prep materials

Miami781

Postby Miami781 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:52 pm

ok thanks, I just recently purchased the Powerscore 3 pack , however I am not taking the test for 11-14 months, these books will obviously still be of help still then right?

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 pm

First of all, good for you starting early, you have done the right thing taking initative. Don't let people tell you otherwise, this test is extremely important and it deserves the attention you are giving it.

I don't think that one can say there is a maximum amount of time you can start prepping in advance. There are 66, soon to be 67 available preptests, and to truly utilize every ounce of their worth would take 5-6 months of hard work. If you plan a more moderate study plan, say, 2-3 days a week for a couple hours a day, this time period expands. Starting early gives you plenty of time to study, and actually will prevent burnout because you won't have an intensive study schedule. And even when you get through all the material, just because you've been exposed to it doesn't mean it's worthless. I sucked at logic games to start, and ended up doing every single available LG at least 3 times, many closer to 10 times, in order to be able to ace the LG section on the June test. I had to reuse a lot of material to get to where I wanted.

I also don't buy the argument that you'll "forget stuff." This is logic, you can't cram it, and you can't just forget it either. I'm sure many people on TLS who are a year or two removed from the LSAT could still score very well right now. Once again I think that starting early will work to your advantage by allowing you to slowly build a solid foundation of reasoning skills, instead of missing key concepts because you blew through the Bibles.

For many people it often takes a month or two to even find the right way to study. Some people blow through PTs without review, don't drill, have trouble managing their time, can't organize their material, use the wrong books, and by the time they get on the right path, they're halfway through their allotted prep time. You have the time to make these mistakes.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Protip: don't call it the LSATs

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 pm

When is it too early?

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”