'SUITS' USA Network (Dumb Question)

gogogadgetlaw

Re: 'SUITS' USA Network (Dumb Question)

Postby gogogadgetlaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:11 am

Last edited by gogogadgetlaw on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hankypanky

Postby hankypanky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:05 am

On the first episode, Mike is taking an LSAT for someone else WITH A HAT ON. If you read the LSAC rules, that is clearly prohibited. Lies. Lies. Lies.

Although the show is awesome.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:14 am

I had to stop watching halfway through the first episode because I couldn't get past the fact that he said he "took the bar for fun." You can't do that! In pretty much every state there is a rigorous vetting process for qualification to even sit the exam (with educational requirements).

And if he isn't an attorney, his firm would clock onto that pretty quickly too (given that they are usually the ones paying re-registration fees and CLEs. Bah, I can't watch that show.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 am

piccolittle wrote:I had to stop watching halfway through the first episode because I couldn't get past the fact that he said he "took the bar for fun." You can't do that! In pretty much every state there is a rigorous vetting process for qualification to even sit the exam (with educational requirements).

And if he isn't an attorney, his firm would clock onto that pretty quickly too (given that they are usually the ones paying re-registration fees and CLEs. Bah, I can't watch that show.

If you are into the accuracy of fictional tv shows, then I agree. If you are into good acting, good writing and a nice one hour diversion per week, I recommend Suits

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 am

OP: You should put [Spoilers] in the thread title instead of (Dumb Question).

hankypanky

Postby hankypanky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 am

piccolittle wrote:I had to stop watching halfway through the first episode because I couldn't get past the fact that he said he "took the bar for fun." You can't do that! In pretty much every state there is a rigorous vetting process for qualification to even sit the exam (with educational requirements).

You stopped watching a TV Show because of it was unrealistic?

dot dot dot

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:39 am

They call it the LSAT'S. How can you think that any of it's real?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:41 am

JamMasterJ wrote:They call it the LSAT'S. How can you think that any of it's real?

Of all the inaccuracies on the show this is the one I found the most annoying. I understand changing certain things for dramatic effect, but why have the wrong name of the test? That just seems like a mistake. Surely there are plenty of unemployed JDs they could have hired to act as consultants so stuff like this doesn't happen.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 am

JamMasterJ wrote:They call it the LSAT'S. How can you think that any of it's real?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 am

Kilpatrick wrote:

Of all the inaccuracies on the show this is the one I found the most annoying. I understand changing certain things for dramatic effect, but why have the wrong name of the test? That just seems like a mistake. Surely there are plenty of unemployed JDs they could have hired to act as consultants so stuff like this doesn't happen.

Copyright issue?

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 am

If you are into the accuracy of fictional tv shows, then I agree. If you are into good acting, good writing and a nice one hour diversion per week, I recommend Suits[/quote]

Completely agree. Great show.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:52 pm

kwais wrote:If you are into the accuracy of fictional tv shows, then I agree. If you are into good acting, good writing and a nice one hour diversion per week, I recommend Suits

+1

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Anyone else notice that they always refer to the LSAT as the "LSATS"?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

vincanity1 wrote:

SarahKerrigan wrote:Anyone else notice that they always refer to the LSAT as the "LSATS"?

Is there an echo in here?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Icculus wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

SarahKerrigan wrote:Anyone else notice that they always refer to the LSAT as the "LSATS"?

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

nmare

Postby nmare » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 am

The only really annoying part of the show is how they refer to the "LSAT" as the "LSATs"

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:10 am

It's not worth it. Your whole life is a lie after that. Even if you become uber-rich and "successful", and everyone comes to think you are a genius, you'll know the truth.

But, in today's world - where everyone wants to be rich and famous for at least 15 minutes, talent is irrelevant in achieving fame and everything is instant - maybe people just don't care. That's what I got from the Wall Street scandals. Fewer and fewer people even have a conscience. Only the superficial appearance matters; maybe that's good enough for most.

Are so many people doing it that everyone must now cheat in order to be in the game? Maybe that's the answer. If it is, this world is going to hell...fast.

I don't see Mike Ross as a cheater, because he truly has the goods. The people he took the LSAT FOR, on the other hand, are cheaters. Mike's crime to his firm, perpetrated with the help of Harvey Specter, was lying about attending Harvard Law. He's a licensed attorney, and his LSAT and bar scores are authentic. Moreover, he has handled all of his cases with the utmost professionalism.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:13 am

nmare wrote:The only really annoying part of the show is how they refer to the "LSAT" as the "LSATs"

Not really. They are and can/should be thought of as a series of five separate mini tests (six if you count the writing section, which isn't scored but may be "graded" by some adcoms). Maybe LSAC insisted that they not use the name "LSAT" (in singular) for trademark reasons.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 am

Icculus wrote:
kwais wrote:If you are into the accuracy of fictional tv shows, then I agree. If you are into good acting, good writing and a nice one hour diversion per week, I recommend Suits

+1

Screw that! Watch Suits if you're into hot-assed women and love the glamor of NY (or Toronto). I watch because of Rachel, Jessica, Jenny, Donna, and all of the fine ass women Harvey gets to sleep with...oh...and his investigator, who looks like a Bond girl. Ok, the stellar acting, etc., I also watch because of those things.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:09 am

PDaddy wrote:

It's not worth it. Your whole life is a lie after that. Even if you become uber-rich and "successful", and everyone comes to think you are a genius, you'll know the truth.

But, in today's world - where everyone wants to be rich and famous for at least 15 minutes, talent is irrelevant in achieving fame and everything is instant - maybe people just don't care. That's what I got from the Wall Street scandals. Fewer and fewer people even have a conscience. Only the superficial appearance matters; maybe that's good enough for most.

Are so many people doing it that everyone must now cheat in order to be in the game? Maybe that's the answer. If it is, this world is going to hell...fast.

I don't see Mike Ross as a cheater, because he truly has the goods. The people he took the LSAT FOR, on the other hand, are cheaters. Mike's crime to his firm, perpetrated with the help of Harvey Specter, was lying about attending Harvard Law. He's a licensed attorney, and his LSAT and bar scores are authentic. Moreover, he has handled all of his cases with the utmost professionalism.

In the show, Mike is a "smart cheater." He did not knock every LSAT out of the park. However, he'd generally achieve a great score for individual buyer. In one episode, Mike scored a 160ish(?) for the buyer because the guy was a dummy. (Dude ended up not paying Mike the full price though).

On the other hand, here, the cheater consistently scored in the 97/98th percentile. Prior to administering the test, LSAC and Educational Testing Service already know with almost exact certainty how many test takers are going to score in the 97/98th percentile. It sets off red flags when you get multiple (average) students from the same public high school scoring in 97/98th percentile at different times during the year.

LSAC stopped letting Robin Singh take the LSAT for fun because he was throwing off their predetermined curve.

However, don't try to cheat on the LSAT. You might end up like this guy: http://articles.mcall.com/2007-06-20/ne ... chool-lsat

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:20 am

I.P. Daly wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

In the show, Mike is a "smart cheater." He did not knock every LSAT out of the park. However, he'd generally achieve a great score for individual buyer. In one episode, Mike scored a 160ish(?) for the buyer because the guy was a dummy. (Dude ended up not paying Mike the full price though).

On the other hand, here, the cheater consistently scored in the 97/98th percentile. Prior to administering the test, LSAC and Educational Testing Service already know with almost exact certainty how many test takers are going to score in the 97/98th percentile. It sets off red flags when you get multiple (average) students from the same public high school scoring in 97/98th percentile at different times during the year.

LSAC stopped letting Robin Singh take the LSAT for fun because he was throwing off their predetermined curve.

However, don't try to cheat on the LSAT. You might end up like this guy: http://articles.mcall.com/2007-06-20/ne ... chool-lsat

didn't take a lot of stats in UG, but I'm pretty sure this is a ridiculous thing to believe. One dude? messing up a 100k person test?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”