Advice on numbered ordering games...

B1RD

Advice on numbered ordering games...

Postby B1RD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Just wanted other people's thoughts on how you do it because I am working on efficiency.

I create my number line with all of the rules applied but when I get to questions like "which of the following could be the order" do you recommend creating a new line each for each potential answer? I don't mean the entire number line because I know you can just reference that but do some of you create a "test line" and just erase each time for each one? Or do you create a new line and number out each space again? Basically I am looking for tips on how to move through these to eliminate answers faster. Hope this makes sense. Thanks all.

KevinP

Re: Advice on numbered ordering games...

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm

B1RD wrote:Just wanted other people's thoughts on how you do it because I am working on efficiency.

I create my number line with all of the rules applied but when I get to questions like "which of the following could be the order" do you recommend creating a new line each for each potential answer?

No.

B1RD wrote: I don't mean the entire number line because I know you can just reference that but do some of you create a "test line" and just erase each time for each one?

No, one should never erase diagrams. The only exception is if a mistake was made.

B1RD wrote:Or do you create a new line and number out each space again?

No.

B1RD wrote:Basically I am looking for tips on how to move through these to eliminate answers faster. Hope this makes sense. Thanks all.

If I understood you correctly, these questions are usually the first ones asked in an ordering game (E.g. Which of the following could be a possible ordering of the songs). The best method to attack these questions is by the process of elimination. Start with one constraint (For example, A before B) and go through answer choices that violate that constraint and mark it as wrong. Once you go through all the constraints, you should be left with one answer choice. Mark it and move on. You shouldn't have to diagram anything for such question types.

If you haven't already, you should also take a look at Powerscore's LG bible and Manhattan's LG guide. For ordering games I would recommend Manhattan's LG methods.

B1RD

Postby B1RD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks. I have the Manhattan guide (actually both but I prefer Manhattan just my learning style). When you say go through them should I be attempting to go through them mentally or actually write out an example?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

B1RD wrote:Thanks. I have the Manhattan guide (actually both but I prefer Manhattan just my learning style). When you say go through them should I be attempting to go through them mentally or actually write out an example?

Mostly mentally. You still want to write dashes through incorrect answer choices.

I personally learn best through examples so I found a video that explains the process. Hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUaWI8HXcpE

B1RD

Postby B1RD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks!

B1RD

Postby B1RD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 pm

That's a great video - I think actually I worded my original question incorrectly. The questions I am referring to are the "if H goes 3rd, what is a possible setup" type question. On those would you recommend writing each one out individually?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 pm

B1RD wrote:That's a great video - I think actually I worded my original question incorrectly. The questions I am referring to are the "if H goes 3rd, what is a possible setup" type question. On those would you recommend writing each one out individually?

Gotcha. For such questions, you always want to draw out a mini-diagram next to the question, in this case with H third and use the global rules to find inferences which would fill as many of the other positions as possible. From there, how to proceed really depends. Most of the time you can usually do the questions mentally by looking at the mini-diagram. Sometimes you might be able to eliminate 3 of the answer choices by looking at the mini-diagram and you are left with 2 answer choices. In that case, I usually draw out one of the scenarios in order to find the correct answer. Again, there might be other possibilities but usually the method for knowing how to proceed comes from drilling games.

B1RD

Postby B1RD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Perfect answer thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”