Anyone heard of Manhattant LSAT?

cking2014

Anyone heard of Manhattant LSAT?

Postby cking2014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Has anyone heard of Manhattant LSAT? Are they any good? How do they compare with Powerscore? Has anyone had significant improvement in their score by using them? (for example, a more than 10 point increase)

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richie222

Re: Anyone heard of Manhattant LSAT?

Postby richie222 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:33 pm

i used all 3 manhattan books, never any powerscore. have no complaints. From what I read on these forums, most people think Manhattan LR and RC >>>>>>Powerscore. But for LG, a lot of people suggest LG Bible to start out with, and then use Manhattan LG to improve on their score. But overall they say manhattan LG>>>>Powerscore LG.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Powerscore and Manhattan are essentially identical when it comes to (and I'm using Powerscore's nomenclature) Simple and Advanced Linear games and Grouping Games that are not undefined or "In-Out". Where they differ: Undefined Grouping Games, Pure Sequencing and Grouping Games that are "In-Out".

From my limited experience, Manhattan's Pure Sequencing "Tree Method" is better than Powerscore's method and I haven't encountered someone who prefers Powerscore's. After that it gets fuzzy. I'm still on the fence about their In-Out method vs. Powerscore's "write all the conditional statements and join them whe applicable then refer to your master list" approach for In-Out. Manhattan's method is I think in theory better, but I'm on the fence because the diagram can be combersome and not a great reference if you don't write incredibly neat.

I would say Manhattan is worth a look, if not only for the Pure Sequencing technique, but Powerscore is still the standard IMHO. Manhattan doesn't use all official LSAT questions (it uses some) and Powerscore is more thorough and gives you more explanations with more practice opportunities.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Manhattans Linear worked well for me...the grouping chart of doom with all the arrows criss crossing was a ridiculous waste of time for me. For others it works, for me it just wasted time. I used a hybrid of Powerscore and Manhattan for LG's, with LR totally from Powerscore. My advice is to take a look at both methods and see what works for you. People learn differently and process info differently, no method is one size fits all.

cking2014

Postby cking2014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the input! Just weighing my options at the moment...

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm

RC: Go with Manhattan's RC guide hands down.

LR: I personally found it most productive to start with Powerscore's LR bible and then supplement it with Manhattan's LR guide. Manhattan's discussion of assumption family questions is just amazing.

LG: Start with Powerscore and supplement it with Manhattan's LG guide by replacing Powerscore's linear/ordering methods with Manhattan's. Also, try out Manhattan's method for in/out games. For the other game types, Manhattan's and Powerscore's methods are about equivalent in efficiency. One thing to note about Manhattan is that Manhattan doesn't cover rare game types while Powerscore does. Granted, the chances of seeing such a game type on a modern test are highly unlikely but I prefer being prepared for as many scenarios as possible.

locthebloke wrote:Powerscore and Manhattan are essentially identical when it comes to (and I'm using Powerscore's nomenclature) Simple and Advanced Linear

I agree with everything in your post except this. Most of the time simple and advanced linear games will require some sort of ordering, which Manhattan's method allows one to diagram far more efficiently than Powerscore' s method.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 pm

cking2014 wrote:Has anyone heard of Manhattant LSAT? Are they any good? How do they compare with Powerscore? Has anyone had significant improvement in their score by using them? (for example, a more than 10 point increase)

:roll:

I have never heard of them, and neither has anyone on this board. Stop making things up. You've only got 9 posts as of this writing and will quickly sully your reputation if you persist with questions like these.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”