. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 am

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Gold

Re: Mouthing Words During the LSAT

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:10 am

The rules don't prohibit doing it but they might think you are chewing gum or communicating with a secret service style earpiece communication device.

If they look at you funny and question you, to ward off their suspicions without losing time in the section do this while also pulling down on your earlobes to quickly show them 'look grandma, no gum, no earpieces, go away'

If a proctor then wants you to verbally answer, quickly say something like "The mother ship from planet Alpha in the Orion nebula is coming to beam me up, step back unless you want to get beamed home too" and then just keep working away!

In all seriousness though, if doing that is helping you, go with it. Even though it may make you look kinda crazy, it is a good technique for active reading in order to concentrate on and process the stuff you read better.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 am

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:48 am

I do it. I find it forces me to pay attention to what I am reading a bit more. I also use my finger or pencil eraser to follow along. So sure, I look like the kid in elementary school who is just learning to read, but it helped me get a 175 so who cares.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

If you do it every once in a while it's probably not a big deal. Just ask yourself whether or not others will notice. If they will, don't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:The "I'm crazy, don't mess with me" approach might work. Plus, if I'm Albert Einstein they might be too in aw to step to me.

But yeah, I think it is part of active reading and certainly useful. I'm just worried in a big room that it might look like I'm talking. Maybe not to anyone else, but the proctor wouldn't know if I was passing answers to those around me from far away... :!: If it's generally allowed though, I am all for it.
I did it when I was a kid while studying spelling words. It can def be a memory aid. I actually play the drums on my desk during LG and LR a lot. That probably won't fly on the test :wink:

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm a big fan of this technique. I used to teach kids and teenagers, and this would help some of them a great deal with staying focused and comprehending. There aren't that many techniques for them that don't help adults too. And, I notice that some LSAT students are better at understanding things when they are explaining them to me than when they fly solo - so I have them do "self talk" about an argument or passage.

As for whether it's permissible - don't sweat it. If you're not actually saying anything, I can't imagine a proctor will notice or even care. Worst case scenario they tell you to stop and you do.

Go for it. (shhh)

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Gorges

New

Post by Gorges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 pm

From my LSAT experience, you are so engrossed in the test that you don't focus on anything except the words on the page in front of you, even physical stuff like moving your lips or jiggling your leg. I know, because I both mouthed the words and twitched my legs around like a crazy person. I also never got any slap on the wrist more than a few dirty looks from the kid sharing my table (if you are a TLS-er, sorry kid).

Don't even think about it, just read that RC the way your little heart desires.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Well, this is looking good so far. Just don't want to be caught off guard by an over the top proctor. Maybe I will mouth the words but try to keep it sound free :D
Go with it and don't worry or stress about getting hassled or about what other test takers might think about you.

It's not against the rules to move your lips as long as you are not making loud noises that disrupt the room. What the other students in the room might think about you should not be anywhere near the list of anxiety driven thoughts you let pass your mind on test day. It's not the prom or some other social event, it's a bubble sheet test with a bunch of strangers you'll probably never see again.

People that waste time to dress up really nice and do their hair, etc. to look great before going to the test center to make an impression are hilarious. It would be great if there were statistics available about how they score.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Well, this is looking good so far. Just don't want to be caught off guard by an over the top proctor. Maybe I will mouth the words but try to keep it sound free :D
Make sure you keep it sound free. Honestly, if someone had been reading out loud during my exam (and if it messed with my own test), I would have for sure reported the person to LSAC and/or directed the proctor's attention towards him/her.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”