-

richie222

-

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Can someone who does not work for Manhattan LSAT please give me an honest opinion. I have never used the Powerscore LG Bible for LSAT prep. I have used only the Manhattan LSAT products for prepping. I think their methods are great. I studied for 2 months and got a 164. But now I am trying to take my score to the next level. Timing is my major issue with LG, and I always have to guess on 5-6 questions. I can't help but think that I might be making a mistake by not using the LG Bible since they are clearly the most recommended. I plan on studying extremely hard over the next 2 months for the October 11 exam, and it is crucial that I get a 167 or higher since my target school's median (Illinois) is 167, and my GPA is well below median. Should I make the transition??
Last edited by richie222 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annyong

Re: Am I losing out without PS LG Bible?

Postby annyong » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm

How could it hurt? I used the LG Bible and felt it improved my performance tremendously, but it's not like it uses some kind of magic secret or will cause an irreversable change in your performance. If you don't like it, try something else or go back to what you were doing and keep on practicing.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

I had a great experience with the LG bible. LG was my worst section by far - after working with the bible and doing drills for a couple months, it was my best. I got a perfect LG score on the test. I think it's indispensible.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

timing was a big issue for me when I first started studying LG, and the LG bible helped tremendously. I got to the point where I could almost always finish in time with maybe only a few misses. Ironically I did run out of time in the real thing (Dinosaurs game in June 2010 sucked up some time) and had to guess on three. I did all self study with the powerscore bibles and preptests and got a 170 so I think it was effective.

moleculex17

Postby moleculex17 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:14 am

LG Powerscore is not as good as Manhattan's. There are a few reasons I say this -

1. It's small, portable and you can read it very quickly. This helps you out when you review particular game types etc.
2. The techniques are faster, more efficient. i.e. Conditioning, IN/OUT games. I enjoyed the Conditional Logic set up a lot.

Other than that... if you can do fine on your own with PS LG, then just stick with it. I bought both and found that Manhattan blew it out of the water, which increased my LG score (I ended up getting 0 wrong on the real thing).

I found PS was very clunky and slow whereas Manhattan allowed me to finish games very quickly (under 8 mins). I suggest the RC book as well if you are struggling with the RC.

ms08g

Postby ms08g » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 pm

moleculex17 wrote:LG Powerscore is not as good as Manhattan's. There are a few reasons I say this -

1. It's small, portable and you can read it very quickly. This helps you out when you review particular game types etc.
2. The techniques are faster, more efficient. i.e. Conditioning, IN/OUT games. I enjoyed the Conditional Logic set up a lot.

Other than that... if you can do fine on your own with PS LG, then just stick with it. I bought both and found that Manhattan blew it out of the water, which increased my LG score (I ended up getting 0 wrong on the real thing).

I found PS was very clunky and slow whereas Manhattan allowed me to finish games very quickly (under 8 mins). I suggest the RC book as well if you are struggling with the RC.

+1

Though, I think you really should do the LGB and then do the MLSAT guide after. If you don't want to spend the money or time, go with MLSAT. The reason I say both is because LGB is a good primer and first step in terms of getting acclimated with the games and their structure, how to approach them, etc. and then the MLSAT guide teaches you more techniques, refines the old ones, and gets you in the mindset of a 180 test taker. For some people MLSAT might leave some holes without previous experience with the games, etc. BUT I totally agree that the MLSAT guide is superior.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 pm

LG bible really helped me. It certainly couldn't hurt you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”