Reading Comprehension Help (LSAT Steve Plan)

NiccoloA

Reading Comprehension Help (LSAT Steve Plan)

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi, All

I'm going through the lsat.blogspot.com 4 month plan compiled by the tutor Steve in Manhattan. So far, I've seen a great improvement, my LG is strongest (between 0 and -2) and my Logical Reasoning is decent (usually 0 to -2 on the first and then -3 or -4 on the second), but I just started the Reading Comprehension bit and I'm hoping that anyone else that has taken Steve's plan can give me some insight as to how much improvement I can make.

I just took 2 practice tests, -4 on the first and -7 on the second.

These are the first RC practices I've attempted since my first diagnostic exam and I did them timed - finished both approximately 4 minutes to spare, so time isn't the issue. Can I expect much improvement? What is the best way to improve?

I'm thinking about purchasing the Powerscore Bible for RC, but I've heard mixed reviews about its benefits.

I have two months to improve, but I'm shooting for nothing lower than a 165 for a scholarship at ASU, but allowing myself to miss 5 questions I'd score correctly otherwise if I did not choke a bit (I'm sure I will), I'm far from my goal.

Any advice?

richie222

Re: Reading Comprehension Help (LSAT Steve Plan)

Postby richie222 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

I got a 164 on June 2011 LSAT with -8 on LG and -5 on RC. Got -2 or -3 on LR sections. I think if your doing so good on LG and LR, you should be able to get a 165 or higher no problem on real LSAT. With that being said, some things that you can do to improve your RC sections are :

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... 5#p1642778

This one helped me:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

I am planning on retaking in October. Since your doing amazing on logic games and that is your best section, You have any advice on how to improve on that section? Timing is my major issue.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:16 pm

MLSAT>RCB

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey NiccoloA,

I am also studying for the OCT test and RC is by far my weakest section as well.
I have found that my RC sores, (according to the spreadsheet that I am keeping) have improved simply by practicing more and more on the practice tests.
At this point, I have done all of the practice tests between 7 and 28, with the exception of maybe two or three (that I don't have).

In the beginning, My RC average was about -5 or -6 per section. Now, simply through exposure to many passages and review of the answers I am missing, I am somewhere around -3.
So basically, I would suggest doing a lot of RC sections and just keep exposing yourself to them.

I have also read on these forums that people suggest reading dense material like the economist etc, but I have not taken this approach since I feel like using the actual RC passages is more effective when you are within such a short time frame of the test.

Lastly, I have seen a lot of people who like the Manhattan RC book, so that may be something to consider.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 pm

glucose101 wrote:MLSAT>RCB

This. Their LR guide also trumps Powerscore. I still rely on PS for my logic game methods. Manhattan might just edge out PS on TLS one day.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 pm

glucose101 wrote:MLSAT>RCB

gavinstevens wrote:This. Their LR guide also trumps Powerscore.

+1

gavinstevens wrote:I still rely on PS for my logic game methods. Manhattan might just edge out PS on TLS one day.

I use a combination of Powerscore and Manhattan. MLG's methods for ordering/linear are much better than Powescore's and I'm fond of Manhattan's methods for in-out/binary games.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”