168 Diagnostic...AWFUL LG! October 2011. Advice?

pizzicatodreams

168 Diagnostic...AWFUL LG! October 2011. Advice?

Postby pizzicatodreams » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 am

So, I took my diagnostic and got a 168 (LR -1/-1 RC -1 LG -9). How the eff are my logic games so remarkably awful??? Any study tips from here until October to get 175+? Have the LG Bible and I've studied for a week (I've gotten half way through doing all of the drills, etc) but don't seem to be improving... yikes!

incompetentia

Re: 168 Diagnostic...AWFUL LG! October 2011. Advice?

Postby incompetentia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:39 am

LG is easily the most learnable. Start out by drilling games once you get through LGB, and figure out how much is a speed thing and how much is accuracy. Pretty much every single person here would kill for a 168 cold diag.

sca218ml

Postby sca218ml » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:43 am

You are in a very envious position. Most people would agree that LG is the EASIEST section to improve.

I went from -4 or -5 to consistently getting perfect LGs. I did not use LG bible (but I used LR bible and I really liked it). You just need to take AS MANY games as possible. Take your time at first to make sure you are getting the right answers first, then start taking them in timed settings.

One other tip: don't neglect your LR/RC (esp LR)! You need to continue to stay sharp on LR/RC because LSAC will throw you a curve on test day. It's actually most likely that you'd get a curve ball in LG, which leads to my last tip:

remain calm. This is huge.

You could conceivably get high 170s. It will take work but very doable. DO THE WORK. You are obviously very smart. With the work you should be able to get perfect LGs consistently no problem.

pizzicatodreams

Postby pizzicatodreams » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks! Guess this is comforting... I spent the past four hours hopelessly banging my head against the book getting problem after problem wrong and I posted this at the peak of my frustration... I just feel like the inferences never really "click" like they're supposed to when I try to do the problems. But now I realize that this post was kind of pointless since there seem to be many others that address the same issue (freaking logic games!!!) Guess I just gotta keep practicing.
Last edited by pizzicatodreams on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sca218ml

Postby sca218ml » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am

Last tip, for some people diagramming the game is intuitive, others not so much. You may be the latter. I'm sure the LG bible gives you a system for diagramming the game, which I would recommend following very closely. You definitely need to be diagramming the games, mostly because it just saves you time. Is it possible to keep all the various moving parts in your head for each question? Yea, but why? If you have a good diagram often times the right answer is either right in front of you, or one simple deduction away. Finish your diagram with as many deductions as you can get before even getting to the questions. Often each deduction will correspond to a question and you can easily get the right answer right away if you have a good diagram.

So revised tips: Diagram, remain calm when they throw you the curve (like weird if/then language or grouping once, then grouping again), keep up the LR/RC awesomeness, and remain calm (again, this is huge). Good luck!

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 am

Your goal should be 178+, assuming you were strictly timed.

sca218ml

Postby sca218ml » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:52 am

Along the lines or remaining calm, don't get frustrated. During your prep you will inevitably start to do much better, and then out of nowhere a bad section will tank one of your scores (to a 168 or something lulz...). At that time, walk away for a day or two. Come back confident and relaxed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”