Logic Games Help

moxie101

Logic Games Help

Postby moxie101 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 am

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me out here. So basically I've been using Pithpike's method for logic games since May and I've seen real improvements with my logic games (when doing older LG timed sections). I cant usually get an older LG section right in time with on -1 on it timed. However now that I have started doing recent PT's (40 and up). I have seen that the games are quite different and Im getting alot more wrong (sometime -9).

My question to those of you who can help me is, how do I go about fixing this? How can I drill and do more recent games or games similar to the structure of the recent games without spoiling or burning through PT's?

nelaw2010

Re: Logic Games Help

Postby nelaw2010 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:46 am

Try this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ace-LSAT-Logic-Ga ... 0974853364

Also, practice the games in PTs 28 - 38, focusing on game types that give you problems.

Lastly, check out Steve Schwartz's info on http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/. He's got some great info.

moxie101

Postby moxie101 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:55 am

thanks for the reply. and that book suggested through amazon has 12 PTs (and some from PTs in the 40s) and I dont want to burn any recent test material.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:18 pm

That book is filled with fake/simulated LSAT style games the publisher wrote and only a small amount of real LSAT LG's. It is important to prep with official previously administered LSAT materials.

Friend don't let friends practice with fake LSAT materials.
/end of story

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:30 pm

I highly recommend not getting Ace the LSAT. Not only does it use fake games, it also asks questions that are different from ones test writers ask. Or even when it asks the same questions, it seems to require you to come up with inferences you normally wouldn't on real games. It's been a while since I've looked at Ace, but I knew something was off within the first few games. If you want practice, get it from real games.

Also, don't be afraid to redo games. It's super helpful for solidifying LG strategies. It doesn't matter if you've already seen them. If they're so fresh that you're coming up with inferences without even thinking, then maybe give them a few weeks before returning to them. There's plenty of other games, and you can even work on LR/RC in the meantime.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm

soj wrote:I highly recommend not getting Ace the LSAT. Not only does it use fake games, it also asks questions that are different from ones test writers ask. Or even when it asks the same questions, it seems to require you to come up with inferences you normally wouldn't on real games. It's been a while since I've looked at Ace, but I knew something was off within the first few games. If you want practice, get it from real games.

Also, don't be afraid to redo games. It's super helpful for solidifying LG strategies. It doesn't matter if you've already seen them. If they're so fresh that you're coming up with inferences without even thinking, then maybe give them a few weeks before returning to them. There's plenty of other games, and you can even work on LR/RC in the meantime.

Yeah. If you have the extra time, definitely. Some people have gone as far to say that repeating material can be MORE beneficial than seeing new material (in certain circumstances(and I'm pointing at Earl Cat here)).

But you'd be better off doing the same 5 prep tests over and over than doing 10,000 fake prep tests.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 am

Sloth Hero wrote:
soj wrote:I highly recommend not getting Ace the LSAT. Not only does it use fake games, it also asks questions that are different from ones test writers ask. Or even when it asks the same questions, it seems to require you to come up with inferences you normally wouldn't on real games. It's been a while since I've looked at Ace, but I knew something was off within the first few games. If you want practice, get it from real games.

Yeah. If you have the extra time, definitely. Some people have gone as far to say that repeating material can be MORE beneficial than seeing new material (in certain circumstances(and I'm pointing at Earl Cat here)).

But you'd be better off doing the same 5 prep tests over and over than doing 10,000 fake prep tests.

+1

Quality study and review time trumps the quantity of tests you can blow thru doing the churn and burn --take lots of timed tests/sections/games-- routine during the time you actually spend preparing.

The various repeated logical patterns LSAC test writers stick to become a lot more familiar when you thoroughly dissect/review a few handfuls of authentic tests in slow motion than they do from spending most prep time racing the clock, checking answer keys and repeating the routine even when you practice exclusively with real tests. You certainly cannot build useful LSAT pattern recognition skills practicing with fake test materials.

For a while Earlcat and I have been exploring the question "How many PTs, bare minimum, could be enough to enable you to hit maximum potential score if used effectively along with available instruction/advice?" Pretty much something like, if you are stuck on Survivor Island --ImageRemoved-- and have to decide how many to grab in conjunction with other basic survival stuff (food, water, clothing, tools, shelter, good prep guidebooks/a class/tutor, etc., where more PT materials = less of the other important stuff you can grab and use), how many can it be done with?

We know better than to go with an exact number but agree that with limited total resources to pick and choose from (including total available time dedicated to prep), as few as 10 to 15 authentic PTs used properly can be enough to be able to hit your peak potential score.

BTW, Earlcat is taking the bar exam starting tomorrow. Unlike the LSAT there are pretty much ZERO official previously administered exams available to prep/practice with and you are instead stuck with making the best from the small amount of simulated questions written by bar prep companies like BarBri. Wish Earlcat luck! (I'm 100% confident he will pass)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”