Boring Reading Comp. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lrslayer

Silver

Boring Reading Comp.

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 am

How do you get through a boring reading piece and stay involved/interested enough to not finish and simply scratch your head in confusion while yawning?

lawgod

Bronze

Re: Boring Reading Comp.

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 am

Promise yourself that if you read it and do it anyway, and go to law school and read boring things for 10 hours a day, and then work for a firm and read boring things for 10 hours a day, and do that for 40 years until you're too old to button your pants, that you'll treat yourself to an ice cream. (no cone, can't bite it without teeth)

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:07 am

lawgod wrote:Promise yourself that if you read it and do it anyway, and go to law school and read boring things for 10 hours a day, and then work for a firm and read boring things for 10 hours a day, and do that for 40 years until you're too old to button your pants, that you'll treat yourself to an ice cream. (no cone, can't bite it without teeth)
well i was actually looking more for some advice on enjoying uninteresting subject material but this answer is funny so thanks

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 am

I have no real advice except to suck it up.
When I'm reading for class, I need to interrupt and do something online every 20 minutes. But you better believe that come exam time I can sit and concentrate for 3 hours.
I'm guessing they probably try to throw in totally random or boring topics.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:17 am

lrslayer wrote:How do you get through a boring reading piece and stay involved/interested enough to not finish and simply scratch your head in confusion while yawning?
If you can't get through a half a page of boring material, what on earth makes you think you'll like law school or being a lawyer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:22 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
lrslayer wrote:How do you get through a boring reading piece and stay involved/interested enough to not finish and simply scratch your head in confusion while yawning?
If you can't get through a half a page of boring material, what on earth makes you think you'll like law school or being a lawyer?
Law school is interesting. And being a lawyer you can try to work on stuff which you find interesting. It isn't about liking to read boring things, it's about thinking that they aren't boring.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
So are you speaking from your experience as a law student or lawyer? because according to your profile, you are neither. perhaps you are just talking out of your ass. maybe if you don't have decent advice to give just don't post! last i checked one did not need a firm grasp on subjects such as modern architecture vs. classical or the development of chopin via feminist writing styles to be interested in law school and/or be interested in being a lawyer. my question was simply asking posters' preferred techniques to staying involved with these types of topics. I just LOOOOOVE all the L0's on TLS that know not what they make snarky comments about!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 am

lrslayer wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
So are you speaking from your experience as a law student or lawyer? because according to your profile, you are neither. perhaps you are just talking out of your ass. maybe if you don't have decent advice to give just don't post! last i checked one did not need a firm grasp on subjects such as modern architecture vs. classical or the development of chopin via feminist writing styles to be interested in law school and/or be interested in being a lawyer. my question was simply asking posters' preferred techniques to staying involved with these types of topics. I just LOOOOOVE all the L0's on TLS that know not what they make snarky comments about!
:roll: I'm speaking as someone who managed to get through the hideous torture (sarcasm) that is the LSAT RC section well enough to score halfway decently, and who has no illusions that our class textbooks will be any less dense or more thrilling.

Not sure what a "L0" is, but I do love it when other 0Ls ask silly, common-sense questions and get all huffy when they don't like the answers they get.

ETA: And my advice for getting through the half page of reading is to man up, buttercup.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
:roll: I'm speaking as someone who managed to get through the hideous torture (sarcasm) that is the LSAT RC section well enough to score halfway decently, and who has no illusions that our class textbooks will be any less dense or more thrilling.

Not sure what a "L0" is, but I do love it when other 0Ls ask silly, common-sense questions and get all huffy when they don't like the answers they get.

ETA: And my advice for getting through the half page of reading is to man up, buttercup.
Oh wow! Look at you go, caught my weakness and everything. So ya, I'm dyslexic and this is part of the problem that keeps me from being able to fully grasp RC. Thanks for being an ass though and not offering any sound advice yet again and merely attacking the fact that I goofed and said L0 instead of 0L. Well done!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrBlonde

New

Post by MrBlonde » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 pm

A tip I've seen is to try and "involve" yourself in the passage and pick a side of the argument that you want to win out and read the passage with that in mind (I think it was a tip from the lsatblog). Obviously you don't REALLY care which side wins but I think it makes the passages more bearable and I find myself less likely to miss important details.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:04 pm

MrBlonde wrote:A tip I've seen is to try and "involve" yourself in the passage and pick a side of the argument that you want to win out and read the passage with that in mind (I think it was a tip from the lsatblog). Obviously you don't REALLY care which side wins but I think it makes the passages more bearable and I find myself less likely to miss important details.
thanks, i will try this!

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 pm

I recommend becoming an 'active' reader instead of a 'passive' reader. (This should help you score better as well). Don't just run your eyeballs over the words, but break up sentences, underline key details or vocabulary words, block up paragraphs or key phrases. Also, after you finish a paragraph, try and briefly place it in the entire piece's development: Ok, the first paragraph states a scientific debate and describes two theories; ok, the second paragraph goes into depth about the first theory...ok, the final paragraph introduces a third theory that is actually the correct one (according to the author).

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm

man you guys haven't seen how awful your life can get. try due diligence on contracts.

the RC passages are engrossing reads compared to legal work. GET OUT.

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 am

Pretend it's something you wrote a long time ago.

Or you are arguing against someone in a debate tournament, and this was their speech.

I can think of more fantasies if you want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”