Taking a Practice Test in a Real Situation

lawschoolboundfuture

Taking a Practice Test in a Real Situation

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Is there any way to take a practice test in a real situation?

FantasticMrFox

Re: Taking a Practice Test in a Real Situation

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Some companies (like Kaplan) hold free practice tests at various schools. Perhaps you can ask the proctor if you can just take your own practice test. That way, you will be in a situation that is quite close to the "real" test while still taking a real LSAT rather than questions made by the specific company.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm

You can definitely take your own test when Kaplan is administering PT 36 (or you can take that if you haven't already). I actually went to Kaplan's events the 3 weekends in a row before I took the real thing. I think it really helped me. They won't grade your test like they will PT36, but the grading is mostly for them to be able to sell you on taking their course.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:00 pm

In addition to Kaplan you can try taking a PT at a starbucks or some other public place.

I did several at a starbucks and I felt it helped me concentrate.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:05 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Is there any way to take a practice test in a real situation?

I don't think it's all that complicated. Do a timed PT at the library with one 15 min break after the first two sections. If you want to go insane, put in an extra section from a really old PT or something in one of the first three sections you do, and then take the break after three sections.

/thread (or at least should be)

edit: oh, and take it at the same time as the real exam you plan to take

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:00 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:edit: oh, and take it at the same time as the real exam you plan to take

This is an undervalued piece of advice. Do everything as if you were taking the real thing, including your morning routine, the night before, etc.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 am

incompetentia wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:edit: oh, and take it at the same time as the real exam you plan to take

This is an undervalued piece of advice. Do everything as if you were taking the real thing, including your morning routine, the night before, etc.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Testmasters saved the most recent PTs and administered them in the exact fashion the LSAC would a "real" LSAT: a new proctor, Saturday morning, a diagnostic section, and so forth. Was very helpful.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:40 pm

As you do PTs, you'll come up with things you can do to make your PTs more similar to the real thing. They range from relatively unimportant (e.g. using #2 rather than mechanical pencils) to very important (e.g. taking it at 10am, not scoring between sections).

Whenever possible, err on the side of being excessively meticulous in simulating test-day conditions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”