LSAT Time Line Input

AAyala

LSAT Time Line Input

Postby AAyala » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 am

Hello!

So if my estimated date of (undergrad) graduation is 2013 should I plan to take the June 2012 LSAT? If so, when should my application for law school be in by if I intend on enrolling in Fall 2013? Thanks for any and all input!

Jeffort

Re: LSAT Time Line Input

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:53 am

If you want to be accepted to and start law school fall of 2013, in order to apply early in the rolling admission cycle (meaning your applications are complete with a good competitive LSAT score) you can and should take either the June or October 2012 LSAT.

If you don't have a competitive reported LSAT score for whatever reason (meaning within the numbers range for the LS's you are aiming for) by then you are left with the December 2012 LSAT to be able to meet application deadlines for higher ranked full time LS programs to become a 1L starting fall 2013. That doesn't put you out of the game but does put you at a disadvantage since December scores are not reported until roughly three months after schools start accepting applications for the cycle.

You need to coordinate your timeline so that you have adequate time to prepare and achieve an in range good LSAT score (as it relates to schools you apply to in conjunction with your UG GPA) to maximize your chances of admission to your top choices as well as put together all the application components.

Here is the official LSAC supplied GPA + LSAT score admission probability calculator: https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx

By taking the June 2012 test (provided you have and put in adequate prep time leading up to it), you are covered with a safety net in case something goes wrong (bad day, get sick, something goes haywire on test day, you decide to cancel or don't achieve a high enough score, etc.) to re-take in October and still apply right at the start of the cycle when schools start accepting applications and be able to apply for EA/ED (early admission/early decision). Even if life events and/or score improvement doesn't go according to plan you still have the December test as a fallback to be able to apply in the same cycle, minus the EA/ED option and the advantages of applying early. (like scholarship $$ potential)

Old school platitude that applies: Early bird gets the worm!

However you slice and dice the timeline options, your GPA + LSAT numbers make the biggest difference and you should not sit for the test until you are prepared and ready to do your best. Fools that rush in sometimes get lucky and it works out with romance, but never with the LSAT and LS admissions. It's a good thing you are thinking about it and trying to plan in advance.

AAyala

Re: LSAT Time Line Input

Postby AAyala » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I really wanna just study little by little now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”