Sound LSAT Advice

moxie101

Sound LSAT Advice

Postby moxie101 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:16 pm

So I have been studying off and on for the LSAT for the past 3 months. Initially I read the LR & LG Bibles in addition to the Manhattan Books. I took my first PT two weeks ago and scored in the low 150s. I have taken 5 PT and all have been in the 150s. Can anybody give me ideas on how to improve? I've been going over PT's and reviewing why I got each answer choice wrong and why I got each wrong, however for some reason its just not clicking with me. What can I do? Where do I go from here. I have a 3.75 CUM GPA and I'm aiming for at least a 165 so anyone who has scored significantly above that threshold can you please give me any tips, suggestions, advice? Its greatly appreciated.

My breakdown is -6 RC -10 LR -9 LR2 -11 LG

I've been doing pithypike's 3 LG's a day and I have started to see improvements. Im progressively getting better with that, but how do I improve on accuracy and time with LR and time with RC (consistently not having enough time to get to last passage).

albanach

Re: Sound LSAT Advice

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 pm

moxie101 wrote:I've been doing pithypike's 3 LG's a day and I have started to see improvements. Im progressively getting better with that, but how do I improve on accuracy and time with LR and time with RC (consistently not having enough time to get to last passage).

Accuracy comes first, then speed. Don't try and do timed tests at first - instead work on getting correct answers for a few PTs completely untimed. Then start timing, with 45 minute sections, knocking off a minute a test until you're completing them in <35 minutes.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Drill all of the logic game types in the bible. Do each game 3 times. The first time just work on getting the deductions and setting it up. Second pass ( not on same day) look to answer all questions right. Third pass ( a day or 2 later) aim to get 100% accuracy in 8 minutes.

YOu can do the same for each LR and RC question as well. Instead of deduction- look to get the type of question identified correctly, and the major parts of the stimulus ( or main parts of the passage and tone).

Like other posters said- right now you are looking for accuracy then speed. once you start to get comfortable with each question type move on to untimed section practice. Review your missed questions. THen move to timed section work. After you feel comfortable with this- do back to back, and then back to back to back timed section work ( give yourself 34 minutes strictly timed). THen go to 4 and 5 section tests ( no writing sample).

If you set aside 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week- you should start doing timed section work in about a month. Track your misses and where they occur in the section. See if any patterns emerge and remedy them. THen do at most 2 timed tests a week from then. Make sure to review the test- document howyou felt and where in the test and in each section you made your mistakes. Practice the question types you got wrong. You should see improvement. If you are not happy with where you are- postpone the test until you are comfortable. Hope this helps!

moxie101

Postby moxie101 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 pm

northwood wrote:Drill all of the logic game types in the bible. Do each game 3 times. The first time just work on getting the deductions and setting it up. Second pass ( not on same day) look to answer all questions right. Third pass ( a day or 2 later) aim to get 100% accuracy in 8 minutes.

YOu can do the same for each LR and RC question as well. Instead of deduction- look to get the type of question identified correctly, and the major parts of the stimulus ( or main parts of the passage and tone).

Like other posters said- right now you are looking for accuracy then speed. once you start to get comfortable with each question type move on to untimed section practice. Review your missed questions. THen move to timed section work. After you feel comfortable with this- do back to back, and then back to back to back timed section work ( give yourself 34 minutes strictly timed). THen go to 4 and 5 section tests ( no writing sample).

If you set aside 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week- you should start doing timed section work in about a month. Track your misses and where they occur in the section. See if any patterns emerge and remedy them. THen do at most 2 timed tests a week from then. Make sure to review the test- document howyou felt and where in the test and in each section you made your mistakes. Practice the question types you got wrong. You should see improvement. If you are not happy with where you are- postpone the test until you are comfortable. Hope this helps!

Thanks guys for the advice, and I'm currently doing the 3 games per day. And further more, I can identify nearly all of the LR reasoning questions by type. Im typically getting all the first 15-16 questions right in a LR section. Then Im very shaky on questions 16-20 (usually getting probably 1-2 right with 4 wrong), and then I run out of time and guess on questions 21-26. What should I be doing correctly or to improve from here?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 pm

give it time. Once you get consistent with your prep ( not on and off) you will see your accuracy and speed increase. I would say to try to rank your question types and skip the ones that give you trouble for later. ONce you make a pass or 2 in the section you will be free to take more time.

moxie101

Postby moxie101 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:33 pm

how much time is ideal before I start seeing improvements. Im shooting for at least a 165 by October, and Im currently stuck in the low 150s.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:51 pm

moxie101 wrote:how much time is ideal before I start seeing improvements. Im shooting for at least a 165 by October, and Im currently stuck in the low 150s.

You say you're doing three games per day. Do you meant three games sections, or just three games? You might want to increase that if it's the latter.

Don't worry about speed at the moment. You cannot focus on it without it being to the detriment of your accuracy. When the time comes, you'll be looking to do the first fifteen questions in 15ish minutes, leaving about 2 mins per question for the last ten. At least that was my experience.

If you haven't started successfully testing within 35 mins per section as the deadline for changing exam approaches, defer until December.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Keep studying, keep testing (take as many timed tests as you can, but pace yourself), experiment with different ways to cut your time down (such as doing problems out of order), and focus more attention on your weak areas.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:24 pm

moxie101 wrote:I've been going over PT's and reviewing why I got each answer choice wrong and why I got each wrong, however for some reason its just not clicking with me.

Make sure you're articulating why each answer choice is right or wrong in an abstract sense. Don't say, "B is correct because the author assumed comets could not have killed the dinosaurs." Instead, keep it general: "The argument makes a cause/correlation flaw and requires an answer choice addressing it. B addresses this flaw by pointing out that the author disregarded a possible cause." That analysis is applicable to dozens of other questions with the same structure.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”