Official LSAT Practice Plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mcs268

Bronze

Official LSAT Practice Plan

Post by mcs268 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm taking the LSAT on June 11, 2012. I started studying last winter all three bibles, wrote a notebook on all of them, reread my highlighted parts, and now i'm currently reviewing my notebook. I plan to start taking one practice test timed every week starting from September 3rd (on a saturday or sunday - i'm in college, after all). I've figured out this gives me room for 41 tests.

So, I'm wondering which tests i should buy to learn the most. Cost effectively, I should obviously just buy all 4 (all 10) test book series (including the most valuble one w/ comparative reading that came out). That gives me 40 tests, and thus room for one week I can skip.

However, am I wrong in thinking I should only take the most recent exams w/ comparative reading, since they are the most accurate? Would I be better off getting those 10 recent prep tests, buying 62-65 and whatever new ones come out after, and then the most recent 10 prep tests w/o comparitive (but missing the ~15 block of individual tests inbetween those two 10 bundles...), and taking one every other week and taking the week in between to carefully go over each exam?

The thing that worries me is that by taking a test every week, and reviewing during the week, immediately taking another one when i'm done is going to tire me out. plus, i'll be taking mostly outdated exams?

Thoughts? (I know i'm overly ambitious but i desperately need a good score because my GPA is just average)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Official LSAT Practice Plan

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Wow.

You are so far ahead of schedule you should take a test every other week for a while before picking up the pace as the test date nears. I don't know why anyone needs to take 40 prep tests, but if anyone has the time, it's you. Studying this far ahead of time leaves open the possibility that you will forget a lot of what you learned, so don't waste a lot more material this far out.

All that said, just take the December exam and be done with it.

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am

I have thought about taking the December test - it depends on if i'm ready or not. Perhaps I should re-take the diagnostic sometime soon to see what I've learned before I start reviewing my notebook..although I doubt I'll remember any diagnostic q's it may be inaccurate.

the december test actually coincides with day after the last day of classes for me, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am

Just take any fairly recent practice test as your new diagnostic. If you take the December test, you still have tons of time to study and won't forget as much of what you had already learned. And if your score comes in lower than you had hoped, you can re-take in June.

scenariosolver

New

Post by scenariosolver » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm

One year out is a bit much for taking the LSAT as suceess depends on absolutely immersing yourself for about 12 weeks. It is very difficult to keep stamina like that for longer time periods. It is not helpful to immerse yourself and then take a breather and then do it again. It sounds good on paper but as a practical matter is not wise. You would do better to take a vacation until December and then start preparing in earnest.

Further, one prep test a week is not enough IMO. It is not enough to make your brain learn concepts intuitively so that come test time when you are absolutely fatigued your brain automatically knows how to answer questions.

You should be doing a preptest a day the last five weeks and spending the other half of the day reviewing the test. As such you really don't have enough material to prepare for one year.

As far as cost goes I would purchase all released LSATS and work every single one of them if you really want to prepare for that long.

Tom

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”