TOUGH! Proper Negation/Double Negatives

youknowryan

TOUGH! Proper Negation/Double Negatives

Postby youknowryan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Does this:
Two year olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food.

Negate to this?
Two year olds do naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food.

Also if the first version above is reworded, is this correct:
Negated: Two year olds do naturally like salty food so much that they would choose it over some other food.

lawyerwannabe

Re: TOUGH! Proper Negation/Double Negatives

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Uh... this is dumb. The original statement makes no sense whatsoever.

How can you dislike something enough to not chose it over something else yet not dislike it enough in general without having anything relative to dislike it against other than the thing that you are choosing over it?

This is complete nonsense.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 pm

youknowryan wrote:Does this:
Two year olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food.

Negate to this?
Two year olds do naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food.

Negated: Two year olds do naturally like salty food so much that they would choose it over some other food.

Yeah i remember this question from a PT i took. It was so weird that it took me a little longer to untangle it.

Personally, i don't think you need to negate it twice. I'm not really sure why you'd do that.

If you negate the answer choice once, the statement "Two year olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food."

Becomes...

"Two-year-olds DO NOT naturally dislike salty food so much that they WOULD choose it over some other food"

(i capitalized the words to point out which i think should be negated and which should remain.) This seems to make the most sense.

After all, the statement "Two-year-olds naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over something else" doesn't make any sense at all."

I could be wrong here. but, based on what i remember from this question, i believe this is the correct interpretation (to a question i answered correctly)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Negate to this?

Yes.

No. This is not a double negative. While there are two negatives, they don't modify the same thing. You've actually changed the meaning of the sentence.

TMC116 wrote:If you negate the answer choice once, the statement "Two year olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food."

Becomes...

"Two-year-olds DO NOT naturally dislike salty food so much that they WOULD choose it over some other food"

No. Unless you're dealing with quantity words, negate the predicate.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:38 pm

TMC116 wrote:If you negate the answer choice once, the statement "Two year olds do not naturally dislike salty food so much that they would not choose it over some other food."

Becomes...

No. Unless you're dealing with quantity words, negate the predicate.[/quote]

While I'm positive i got this question right on a PT, I'll defer to Earlcat's wisdom on this (maybe i just guessed right on a 50/50 then :shock: )

Can someone post the entire question and answer choices so we can see the answer choice in context?

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

This is from PT 38 and the AC is A. I did not miss the problem since the correct answer is clearly right. It was just the wording of this AC (C) which threw me off.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

EarlCat wrote:

Negate to this?

Yes.

No. This is not a double negative. While there are two negatives, they don't modify the same thing. You've actually changed the meaning of the sentence.

What would you reword it to?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:27 pm

youknowryan wrote:What would you reword it to?

Negated: Snot-nosed crumb-snatchers hate potato chips so much that they'd rather eat broccoli.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”