What would you do if you had two years to prep for LSAT?

alliehs

What would you do if you had two years to prep for LSAT?

Postby alliehs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 pm

in a few days i'm going off to college.
i'll be majoring in english, minoring in philosophy
even though im only 16, i already have my associates degree
so in about two years i plan to graduate

seeing that i hope to make the most out of my time, (and score a 180) i plan on studying for the lsat a little at a time. from what i can see, powerscore bibles are a must and i'll be buying all of them shortly.

most of you all have already taken the lsat, so...

if you were me, how would you go around studying for the test and could you give me any advice?
thanks in advance!

clone22

Re: What would you do if you had two years to prep for LSAT?

Postby clone22 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

take the full 4 years, enjoy them, and get laid

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

alliehs wrote:in a few days i'm going off to college.

seeing that i hope to make the most out of my time, (and score a 180) i plan on studying for the lsat a little at a time. from what i can see, powerscore bibles are a must and i'll be buying all of them shortly.

if you were me, how would you go around studying for the test and could you give me any advice?
thanks in advance!

Take a fairly recent practice test and then get back to us.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 pm

alliehs wrote:in a few days i'm going off to college.

thanks in advance!

You're 16?! Dude. Go get some life experiences, have an open mind, and then consider law school. Nobody knows what the hell they want when they are 16, but 98.7% think they know everything. Such is the nature of being a teen. If you're not old enough to watch R rated movies, you're too young to be worried about graduate school.

scat_cat

Postby scat_cat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:31 pm

and for god's sake, take some time off (and by "off," i mean working, in the real world) before you go to law school. i thought about doing college early, but decided against it, and have seen kids at my law school who did it flame out and perform way below their potentials. it's too much stress (social as well as academic) for an 18-year-old who's been pushed his/her whole life to deal with effectively. you only get to do law school once.

alliehs

Postby alliehs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 pm

well...
1) I'm still going to college in the fall. im not looking to reinact some episode of mtv's real world and blow two years of financial aid via florida bright futures.
2) i dont think i know everything even though im young. its not like im asking for advice on how to do something detrimental . im just trying to better myself..
3) my question is independent of my age (and trust me, im kicking myself for adding it now)

all i wanted to know are suggestions for time management and resources that i can use over this long span.

thanks for all of the cautionary advise though :?

cnyltiak

Postby cnyltiak » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Wait until ~6 months before you actually plan to take it and then start thinking about it...

For now, focus on gpa.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Killself

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm

alliehs wrote:well...
1) I'm still going to college in the fall. im not looking to reinact some episode of mtv's real world and blow two years of financial aid via florida bright futures.
2) i dont think i know everything even though im young. its not like im asking for advice on how to do something detrimental . im just trying to better myself..
3) my question is independent of my age (and trust me, im kicking myself for adding it now)

all i wanted to know are suggestions for time management and resources that i can use over this long span.

It's a pretty big deal to choose your future career at an age that most kids are psyched about getting their driver's license. Seriously, you don't need to worry about this stuff now. Go live life, you don't need to start gunning right now. Hang out with friends. Go travel on your own. Volunteer for different charities. Just...live some life.

I know this is falling on deaf ears but whatevs.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:34 pm

No point in studying for the LSAT more than 6-7 months in advance. If you're serious about LS, concentrate on your GPA.

Don't be afraid to change your major. 100% of people who go off to college early have no idea what they're doing, mostly because nearly 100% of people who go off to college on time have no idea what they're doing.
Frankly, people that go to college early are really setting themselves up for problems down the road, and most of them are usually severely lacking in some set of skills or other by the time that they're done with UG.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 pm

alliehs wrote:well...

Your question isn't independent of your age. Law schools won't look kindly to an 18 year old applicant. And 2 years is way too long to study for the LSAT. Even 6 months is too long IMO. I exhausted my study materials in about 3. And I took every PT that was available at the time.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:00 pm

incompetentia wrote:No point in studying for the LSAT more than 6-7 months in advance. If you're serious about LS, concentrate on your GPA.

I absolutely agree. You're going to burn out.

Prepping for 2 years is pointless because, at some point, you reach diminishing returns on your score improvement. Starting earlier isn't necessarily better. Trust me. I tried.

Start studying *at most* 5 or 6 months before the test. That's plenty of time to learn everything, take all 63 Preptests, and then have time left over.

What is it with people wanting to study the LSAT before they even get to college? There have been a handful of these posts in recent weeks....

Let me add one last thing. Seriously take this advice: It's not how far in advance you begin prepping that matters most, it's how intensely you prep in the 3-4 months before the test. That is how you get in the mid-to-high 170s

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I would prep for for the LSAT for two years.
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nodrog

Postby nodrog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 am

blowhard wrote:Killself

I lol'ed

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 am

You're 16?! Dude. Go get some life experiences, have an open mind, and then consider law school. Nobody knows what the hell they want when they are 16, but 98.7% think they know everything. Such is the nature of being a teen. If you're not old enough to watch R rated movies, you're too young to be worried about graduate school.

Even if you crush the LSAT and have a stellar GPA most adcomms would think twice about admitting an 18 year old with no appreciable life/work experience. You should experience life a bit before you give your soul to the hungry bitch that is 1L. But, you could also be doing yourself a disservice in regards to your chances of admissions at top schools.

jlxbos

Postby jlxbos » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 am

i was in the same position as you--graduating hs w/ an associate degree. i graduated college early, went abroad for 3 years and worked, then came to law school. i don't understand the straight-from-undergrad kids, and prob would've done something similar even if i'd taken the full 4 years. i studied for the lsat for 6 months and that was more than enough.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:38 am

Spend 1.5 years getting straight A's, 6 months prepping for the LSAT.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 am

Seriously go get laid. It will change you. It may even change your goals.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:24 am

incompetentia wrote:No point in studying for the LSAT more than 6-7 months in advance. If you're serious about LS, concentrate on your GPA.

+1

Also, consider MD/PhD instead. You'll still be young enough to really enjoy the models and bottles when you are done.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:27 am

firemed wrote:

+1

Also, consider MD/PhD instead. You'll still be young enough to really enjoy the models and bottles when you are done.

This. You're obviously a bright and motivated kid; your talents would be a lot more useful elsewhere than our TTT profession.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
firemed wrote:

+1

This. You're obviously a bright and motivated kid; your talents would be a lot more useful elsewhere than our TTT profession.

Seriously.

Do not go to law school. Especially at age 18.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 am

Emma. wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
firemed wrote:

+1

Seriously.

Do not go to law school. Especially at age 18.

Not young enough to be the Doogie Howser of law and not old enough to be jaded enough for the profession.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:16 am

Anybody who goes to law school before 22 or 23 is ill-prepared at best.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 am

Take pre-med classes, take the MCAT, and go to med school.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:24 am

real men don't study for the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”