Sloth's LSAT Log. Last updated: 7/21

Sloth Hero

Sloth's LSAT Log. Last updated: 7/21

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 am

MY LSAT IS BASICALLY THIS

Hey guys, I've seen some people make threads like this, so I decided to go for it. I'm mostly looking for criticism, so if you think I should modify my study schedule in any way, don't hesitate. I started writing this up a when my Kaplan course started. Decided to post now.

Right now I'm kind of winging it. Since my diagnostic was kind of high I'm trying to find my weaknesses.

As soon as I get some more PTs I'll post a pretty excel chart.

'About me' is at bottom.

~~~~The Log~~~~~ (* means prep test day)
Diagnostic: 167
-- I took my diagnostic about 6 months ago just to see what I was getting myself into. When I looked at my first section, it was logic games and I was like "wut". A friend recommended the LGB, so I ended up working through that before taking the diagnostic.

7/1-7/12: Worked through all three of the Powerscore Bibles. I was struggling to engage with the RC bible.

*7/13: PT #56. Kaplan Diagnostic: 163 -4 LG, -7 LR, -8 RC
-- Time was a huge issue. The testing center was in a science center that also had an IMAX theater. During my RC and both LR sections it sounded as if transformers were doing battle in my testing room. Like it was REALLY loud.

7/14: Reviewed mistakes that I made on #56. Struggled with hybrid games on LR, Assumption and str/weak on LG (the most), and RC was just a clusterfuck of badness. Did write-outs of my LR questions.

7/15: Warmed up with 2 untimed hybrid games. Then I made copies of the hybrid game from #56 and worked through it slowly, trying to figure out the BEST way to have solved it. I missed some major inferences on my diagnostic day. Worked on difficult Str/weak and assumption questions in the Kaplan LR mastery book.

7/16: Kaplan session and Critiquing substance dualism (bleh) no time for personal LSAT today.

7/17: Did more assumption and STR/weaken questions in the big book. Reviewed LRB on these types of questions. Did all the Basic Linear games in the Kaplan book. I think i'm subconsciously putting off RC review.

7/18: Kaplan tonight. Going over my RC passages from #56, and notating them to match Powerscore. Did write-outs of my mistakes. I have heard that Manhattan LSAT is great for RC, so I ordered their book.-$$$ Probably another reason to try to put off RC. Oh well. :(

*7/19: 168 PT #13. Self-timed. -1 LG, -7 LR, -8 RC.
--This is better, at least I have improved from my semi-cold. It looks like my work on LG paid off. I blew up the linear LG in like 4.5 minutes. This is good because I took 12 minutes on the distribution game. Looks like that's what I'm practicing next. I aced the assumption and str/weak questions this time around. Instead my weakness shifted to Flaw and Inference. RC is still deservedly bad. Also, there was a cute girl that kept trying to make eye contact with me while I was taking the PT. Not fair.

7/20: Kaplan session tonight on RC. Cool. I did write-ups of my LR and RC. My Manhattan RC needs to hurry up and get here. Started doing flaw and inference questions in the book.

7/21: Doing some distribution games today, and working through some Hard science passages in my Kaplan RC book. Using the Kaplan method for now, hurry up and get here Manhattan RC, you are my only hope.

~~~About Me~~~

I'm an undergrad at Florida State, just about to finish up my sophomore year. I'm a Philosophy and Economics major. I goofed around a bit freshman year and ended up with a 3.3, but ever since I became serious about grad school I have held a 4.0 per semester since (Whoah a whole TWO semesters! Three including summer :3) I'm looking at finish UG with around a 3.75-3.8 as long as I don't do something dumb.

LSAT goals: Aiming for as high as I can go. My dream school is NYU, so a 174 should suffice, but the higher the better.

My folks were jazzed about my law school ambition so they offered to sign me up for a Kaplan course. Eh, ok. Taking it with a grain of salt. (More than a few grains)
Last edited by Sloth Hero on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sloth Hero

Re: Sloth's LSAT Log. Chronicle of my LSAT journey.

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:05 pm

reserved

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 pm

reserved

McFly

Postby McFly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm assuming you're taking the October test, and aiming for atleast a 174?

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Assuming you finish with a 3.8, you don't necessarily need a 174 for NYU. More like a 172. Of course a 174 would be ideal! Just fyi: http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

If I am happy with my scores around September I'll go ahead and take October. I have a lot of time, so I might push it back if I'm still improving.

And yeah, I know a 172 would be good -- but I'd like to get as much scholarship money as possible. If I study for the LSAT instead of working part time, not only do I increase my chances of getting into top schools, but I also can get some $$$ knocked off that 200k NYU student loan I'll need to take.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”