No explanations for LR problems?

notaznguy

No explanations for LR problems?

Postby notaznguy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Uh, so when you guys are drilling practice problems, do you guys at least have access to explanations of the problem? Or just the answer key?

I'm in a TM prepcourse, and it's kinda weird. The first Lesson homework had explanations for every problem, but the second Lesson homework only had explanations for 10 questions out of 100 practice problems. I mean, what's the point of having an answer key if I don't have explanations?

For those of you guys who self-study, or are in a similar situation with a prepcourse, how do you guys figure out an explanation for the question you got wrong?

Sloth Hero

Re: No explanations for LR problems?

Postby Sloth Hero » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Well aside from what Testmasters is doing

When you get a problem wrong, write out:

1) Why you chose that answer
2) What is wrong with your reason
3) What you believe the correct answer to be
4) Why that answer is correct
5) How you are going to avoid making this mistake in the future

THEN... check the answer explanations to make sure your response lines up with theirs.

No point in just reading the explanations to the questions you got wrong without actively engaging in your mistake and the correct form of reasoning.

I'd also advise doing this for Correct problems as well. Just write out why you chose that answer, and why the other 'attractive' answers are incorrect. Then make sure your reasoning matches up with the explanations.

-------------------------

And to answer your actual question...

If you got it wrong, just mark it, but don't put the correct answer down. Go back to your homework knowing that the answer you chose is wrong, and try to figure out the correct answer. After you have made your choice, consult the answer key. If you STILL have it wrong, or aren't sure exactly WHY this choice is correct, then there are some resources available to you.

Manhattan LSAT has a nice forum that has test explanations, mostly user submitted content. Also on Amazon there are a ton of resources for sale that will explain questions.

Since you are paying for a class it shouldn't be a huge issue. Also, ask your Testmaster's instructor.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 pm

yeah manhattan lsat forums has lots of user contributed answers.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:Well aside from what Testmasters is doing

When you get a problem wrong, write out:

1) Why you chose that answer
2) What is wrong with your reason
3) What you believe the correct answer to be
4) Why that answer is correct
5) How you are going to avoid making this mistake in the future

THEN... check the answer explanations to make sure your response lines up with theirs.

No point in just reading the explanations to the questions you got wrong without actively engaging in your mistake and the correct form of reasoning.

I'd also advise doing this for Correct problems as well. Just write out why you chose that answer, and why the other 'attractive' answers are incorrect. Then make sure your reasoning matches up with the explanations.

-------------------------

And to answer your actual question...

If you got it wrong, just mark it, but don't put the correct answer down. Go back to your homework knowing that the answer you chose is wrong, and try to figure out the correct answer. After you have made your choice, consult the answer key. If you STILL have it wrong, or aren't sure exactly WHY this choice is correct, then there are some resources available to you.

Manhattan LSAT has a nice forum that has test explanations, mostly user submitted content. Also on Amazon there are a ton of resources for sale that will explain questions.

Since you are paying for a class it shouldn't be a huge issue. Also, ask your Testmaster's instructor.

That's great advice. I'll do Steps 1-5 for the rest of my LR homework. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”