What did you sacrifice?

epokei

Re: What did you sacrifice?

Postby epokei » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 am

Thank you for all the comments.
Sorry for the confusion by using the word “sacrifice”, I couldn’t come up with appropriate expression at that time. I should have put in a different ways. And, I don’t literally feel sacrificing anything because I wouldn’t be studying if I feel that way.

As Crumpetsandtea and Pocahontas have pointed out, nothing will radically get me out from vicious circle, if I don’t act on it myself. I am the only one who can change the habit of my own, yes.
Thank you for pointing out and not being harsh.

The reason I asked this question because I work full-time in Japan.
I don’t know anybody in same situation around me.
This forum is the only place that I can explore.
I just wanted to get a grip how others do and visualize.
And all your comments did help for that. Thank you.

I get the idea how others do is irrelevant how I study.
But, you all shared lots of useful references, thank you :D

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 am

epokei wrote:Thank you for all the comments.
Sorry for the confusion by using the word “sacrifice”, I couldn’t come up with appropriate expression at that time. I should have put in a different ways. And, I don’t literally feel sacrificing anything because I wouldn’t be studying if I feel that way.

As Crumpetsandtea and Pocahontas have pointed out, nothing will radically get me out from vicious circle, if I don’t act on it myself. I am the only one who can change the habit of my own, yes.

I'm in Japan working full-time as well - took the LSAT in December and got a 170.

I'm assuming you're doing some sort of eikaiwa teaching? JET Program? If so, you should have enough time to study after work, with enough time on the weekends to go do things. Drill and review on the weekdays and take prep tests on the weekends. Do LG and LR on the trains. Do an LG during lunch or on your breaks. There should be enough time to do the things you want, if you manage your time carefully.

Normally, the internet is a hindrance, but in Japan I found it to be incredibly helpful. Go through the LSAT forum for studying strategies, and look at free solutions for problems online. Play the LSAT arcade game that Manhattan LSAT advertises. It's tough when no one around you is doing the same thing, but it also allows to focus on yourself and your own weaknesses.

epokei

Postby epokei » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 am

mottainai wrote:

I'm in Japan working full-time as well - took the LSAT in December and got a 170.

I'm assuming you're doing some sort of eikaiwa teaching? JET Program? If so, you should have enough time to study after work, with enough time on the weekends to go do things. Drill and review on the weekdays and take prep tests on the weekends. Do LG and LR on the trains. Do an LG during lunch or on your breaks. There should be enough time to do the things you want, if you manage your time carefully.

Normally, the internet is a hindrance, but in Japan I found it to be incredibly helpful. Go through the LSAT forum for studying strategies, and look at free solutions for problems online. Play the LSAT arcade game that Manhattan LSAT advertises. It's tough when no one around you is doing the same thing, but it also allows to focus on yourself and your own weaknesses.

To Mottainai,
Thanks for the advice.
Actually, I am Japanese so I don't work for eikaiwa things. :(

I work from 6am to 6pm. And, yes true I have plenty time to study.
I've cut out the lunch time with co-workers, and usually study for the spare time.

I usually go to cafe because I get distracted if I stay home....
But, have you noticed these days most cafe is humid and hot becuase saving the electricity? It is not comfortable studying there either...
The public library closes by the time I get out from office.
Where did you study?

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:Not much sacrifice over here, I thoroughly enjoy studying for this test. It's a fun challenge. :) The only time it feels like a sacrifice is when I do things I 'have' to do, like PT review etc. I don't get excited about what I got wrong, instead I normally get mad at myself for being dumb.

But yeah, I don't get to read as much philosophy as normal. This saddens me.

But then again... now I have a better excuse for not going to dumb frat parties with friends.

And... cute girls in the library often ask to study with me.

EDIT: Girls

Where do you live that there are libraries full of cute girls who are studying for the LSAT and ask random people to study together? I've seen one person studying for the LSAT in the time I've been studying. They had the LGB and I was like:
--ImageRemoved--

And if someone randomly came up to me and asked to study together, I would not be super pleased. But maybe that's because I've had bad experiences (I'm looking at you, kid in undergrad who plopped down at the table with me and tried to impress me with your being a "libertarian".)

Well normally I have a large mound of books with me that are all covered with "LSAT" in large bold. (The librarians let me store some of my stuff at the library <3) And there are a ton of law-school-hopeful-sorority-girls at my school. I study on the commons floor so I can get used to the distractions,and so my impressive mound (insert psychoanlysis here) is in plain site. This normally leads to them asking me what my "first time score" was... and so on.

Also I study without a shirt and with a banana hammock.

And as for the libertarians, they tend to leave me alone as I've always got books on Zizek, Marx, Foucault, and Derrida on the table. And said banana hammock is a deterrent as well.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:Not much sacrifice over here, I thoroughly enjoy studying for this test. It's a fun challenge. :) The only time it feels like a sacrifice is when I do things I 'have' to do, like PT review etc. I don't get excited about what I got wrong, instead I normally get mad at myself for being dumb.

But yeah, I don't get to read as much philosophy as normal. This saddens me.

But then again... now I have a better excuse for not going to dumb frat parties with friends.

And... cute girls in the library often ask to study with me.

EDIT: Girls

Where do you live that there are libraries full of cute girls who are studying for the LSAT and ask random people to study together? I've seen one person studying for the LSAT in the time I've been studying. They had the LGB and I was like:
--ImageRemoved--

And if someone randomly came up to me and asked to study together, I would not be super pleased. But maybe that's because I've had bad experiences (I'm looking at you, kid in undergrad who plopped down at the table with me and tried to impress me with your being a "libertarian".)

Well normally I have a large mound of books with me that are all covered with "LSAT" in large bold. (The librarians let me store some of my stuff at the library <3) And there are a ton of law-school-hopeful-sorority-girls at my school. I study on the commons floor so I can get used to the distractions,and so my impressive mound (insert psychoanlysis here) is in plain site. This normally leads to them asking me what my "first time score" was... and so on.

Also I study without a shirt and with a banana hammock.

And as for the libertarians, they tend to leave me alone as I've always got books on Zizek, Marx, Foucault, and Derrida on the table. And said banana hammock is a deterrent as well.

Soo that is what I am doing wrong. Hmm. I do everything else the same, although I am a girl, so maybe it's assumed that I have cooties.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha good point crumps. Internet surfing is my enemy #1 though. Whyyyyy did I recently discover tumblr? As if FB and TLS weren't enough.

/hating self

Hahha yeah, mine too. I mean, just look at my fuckin post count :lol: :lol:

Also, FUCKING TUMBLR holy shit. I spend way too much time there. x_x

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha good point crumps. Internet surfing is my enemy #1 though. Whyyyyy did I recently discover tumblr? As if FB and TLS weren't enough.

/hating self

uh

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Before the June test this year I didnt drink alcohol for a month and began running at around 6 miles a week just to clear my mind, now I'm running around 15-16 miles a week. So in a way the LSAT helped me get into better shape.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

incompetentia wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

/hating self

uh

:lol: <3 <3

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:55 pm

incompetentia wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

/hating self

uh

Haha Incomp. I love that your join date is after mine, but you still make me look like a n00b ;)

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

this is not a good thing

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

I won't lie to you Incomp; you're probably right. But think of how many lives you touched with your music in the waiting thread.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I wonder if I have a ritualistic sacrifice -- and sacrifice only test takers who have gotten a 180 before, if it will help. Oh and they have to be virgins. I've heard that's important.

But this shouldn't be a problem

Being a virgin is necessary for getting a 180.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 pm

In b4 Incomp cries

soj

Postby soj » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:In b4 Incomp cries

:lol:

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't know if it's kosher to have a roast before a sacrifice, guys

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Bazing! :) Don't worry incomp, you will always have superiority over everyone in TLSland because of your sechsy score. It is your kingdom, and Soj is naturally your queen seeing as he also made the LSAT his bitch. I hope I can join the royal family someday soon...sigh...

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:01 pm

epokei wrote:
mottainai wrote:

To Mottainai,
Thanks for the advice.
Actually, I am Japanese so I don't work for eikaiwa things. :(

I work from 6am to 6pm. And, yes true I have plenty time to study.
I've cut out the lunch time with co-workers, and usually study for the spare time.

I usually go to cafe because I get distracted if I stay home....
But, have you noticed these days most cafe is humid and hot becuase saving the electricity? It is not comfortable studying there either...
The public library closes by the time I get out from office.
Where did you study?

Libraries do close really damn early in Japan. I usually saved library time for weekends, where I could reasonably replicate a testing environment. Every weekend, I took two practice tests in the library. During the week, I either studied at home or in a coffee shop (Dotour/Starbucks/Peets...etc). I never took tests there because there's always hordes of schoolkids/college kids being うるさい in there. Instead, I drilled LR or LG, or reviewed old tests.

もしほか質問があれば、聞いてください。

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”