Nervous Nellies Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sandwiches5000

Bronze

Nervous Nellies

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:36 am

I think I get ridiculously nervous. I always think I won't but come test day when I sit there and it hits me that "this is it" I get distracted and a bit nervous. My hand even shakes at certain points of the exam. I think this is what made me drop ~7 pts from my PT avg on test day. :/

Advice anyone?

EarlCat

Silver

Re: Nervous Nellies

Post by EarlCat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:59 am

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:39 am

Maybe try to find practice exams that are being proctored with a group?

Maybe everyone else's nervousness is rubbing off on you.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah. That's true. I'm in Asia so it's hard to find people to study with.

Haha. Wow.

I mean there were a tonnnnn of people taking the LSAT at my testing center in Korea but I need to find these people somehow. I would love to even have a studying partner.

I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 am

Managing stress is the key to the LSAT, in my opinion. An important part of that is getting into your mindset and managing not to break your concentration with any types of outside distractions/wandering thoughts.

In addition to what Earl's saying, you should know whether you do better on tests when you're calmer or more energized. Trying to emulate the sense of urgency (and then, that mindset) on practice tests is not easy, but it should help make the actual test experience that much less foreign.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totaltest.milan

New

Post by totaltest.milan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Earlcat's got a point, to some extent it's a control issue. One of the ways that you can give yourself an illusion of control is by allowing yourself to believe that your score is going to be dependent upon your practice. The more you practice the higher the chance that you'll do well on the test. All of a sudden you have control, you can control how much you practice.

Another thing I would recommend is some sort of meditation/breathing exercises. Nervousness, like all emotions, is a largely autonomous physiological response. We have no control over the onset of a nervous reaction but we do have control over how long it perpetuates within our system. I'm kind of a novice so I can't explain it very well but the basic point is to shift your attention to what's going on in your body as the emotions are running their course (racing heart, cold sweat, tightening stomach, slight buzzing, etc) and not to the narrative that we attach to those feelings. If you start thinking about the test and about how you need to do well on it because you need to go to a good school otherwise you won't make any money and without any money nobody will love you and then you'll die poor and lonely in an shallow ditch by the side of the road as stray dogs devour your flea-ridden corpse you're simply providing your mind with additional catalysts for further nervous reactions. Anyway, take a look at meditation for dummies or something like that it might be helpful if you feel that you get the nervous nellies. Meditation is also good for concentration.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks! This is all great advice. I'm looking into yoga and meditation videos. I'm going to start running in the morning too. Also, I think that if I can finish my sections, particularly reading comprehension, early that I will feel more confident and not stress about time. I very rarely go over time but sometimes I cut it close so I think this is something that I worried about on test day.

yu9ePUsw

New

Post by yu9ePUsw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Yikes, I tried my first 3 sections in a timed setting and this test has got me seriously spooked.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

yu9ePUsw wrote:Yikes, I tried my first 3 sections in a timed setting and this test has got me seriously spooked.
Just keep practicing. By the end of your prep you should be so calm and collect under a timed setting that you feel as if you could do it in your sleep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Obviously, I have probs with nerves as well but that was only on test day. In the beginning of my prep I got nervous as well but practice will make it go away. :)

Also, it helps to have a friend proctor it for you. I did it once and it made me feel a lot more nervous but it's a good simulation for test day.

Shallow

New

Post by Shallow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am

Does anyone have experience with one of those LSAT proctoring DVDs?

I took my first proctored diagnostic test yesterday and I choked hard despite having been doing independent studying for the last month and a half. -3 LG, -4 RC, -12/-8 LR (Guess where I choked! :lol: ). I became extremely anxious having timing/environment being out of my hands and, like someone once mentioned on TLS a while ago, reverted back to old habit. I'm hoping by using a proctoring DVD, I can simulate an actual testing scenario and, come test time, remain calm.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Shallow wrote:Does anyone have experience with one of those LSAT proctoring DVDs?

I took my first proctored diagnostic test yesterday and I choked hard despite having been doing independent studying for the last month and a half. -3 LG, -4 RC, -12/-8 LR (Guess where I choked! :lol: ). I became extremely anxious having timing/environment being out of my hands and, like someone once mentioned on TLS a while ago, reverted back to old habit. I'm hoping by using a proctoring DVD, I can simulate an actual testing scenario and, come test time, remain calm.
proctorDVD is ca$h moniezzzzzz. worth every penny

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:34 am

OOH good call. I'm going to order this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clouds101

New

Post by clouds101 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 am

Shallow wrote:Does anyone have experience with one of those LSAT proctoring DVDs?

This DVD delivers what it promises, but a word of caution. I bought it when I was studying for my second retake because I was desperate and the hype about "real conditions" scared me. But I think I depended way too much on PTs and didn't adequately drill my weaknesses. Don't rely solely on gimmicky things because on game day, the only thing that will come through are the habits that you built over time.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

clouds101 wrote:Don't rely solely on gimmicky things because on game day, the only thing that will come through are the habits that you built over time.
BOOM headshot!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

Rub one out in the bathroom right before the exam.

Reference: theres something about Mary.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 am

bport hopeful wrote:Rub one out in the bathroom right before the exam.

HAHA. so this is why one wants to get to the testing center early, right?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:38 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Rub one out in the bathroom right before the exam.

HAHA. so this is why one wants to get to the testing center early, right?
Yep, and if you dont bust for a few weeks prior, it will be that much more relaxing and youll be able to get to the test site a little later.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”