How to juggle conditional reasoning in parallel questions?

notaznguy

How to juggle conditional reasoning in parallel questions?

Postby notaznguy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 am

Okay, so I'm finding it extremely difficult to mental picture conditional reasoning answer choices in Parallel Reasoning questions. Usually I will diagram the the stimulus, and then after look for that diagram in the answer choices.

The problem is, I can't do it fast enough. If I just sit there and mentally go through the answer choices, I end up wasting a lot of time. I'm at the point that I still have to just diagram each and every answer to see if it matches the stimulus or not. The problem is, this is a HUGE waste of time =( What can I do to improve?

glucose101

Re: How to juggle conditional reasoning in parallel questions?

Postby glucose101 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 am

There really is no magic formula. It's meant to be a time suck. I recommend 1) skipping it 2) diagramming very quickly

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:47 am

glucose101 wrote:There really is no magic formula. It's meant to be a time suck. I recommend 1) skipping it 2) diagramming very quickly

This. Most parallel questions will be at the end of the section (last 4/5 questions). I immediately skip, finish the section, then spend the remaining time trying to figure out these.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 am

Do parallel reasoning questions last! They are worth one point, and you only get 1-2 in a section, and they are designed to eat time. Practice your conditional reasoning intensely. Sometimes, the correct answer is a "reversed contrapositive" (that is, the contrapositive of the statement which is then stated in reverse terms so as to appear to be the wrong answer) that parallels the stimulus.

Original stimulus: A → B → C → D

Contrapositive: DCBA

The statement of the correct answer would read logically as follows (contrapositive reversed):

ABCD

But the language of the answer might further be structured like this to create additional confusion:

AD and BC , which is logically the same as A → B → C → D

It would make logical sense, but be so twisted up as to create the illusion of a mismatch. It's not worth sifting through those to get one or two points, assuming you can do them correctly.

I COMMAND YOU: DO THEM LAST!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 am

PDaddy wrote:Do parallel reasoning questions last! They are worth one point, and you only get 1-2 in a section, and they are designed to eat time. Practice your conditional reasoning intensely. Sometimes, the correct answer is a "reversed contrapositive" (that is, the contrapositive of the statement which is then stated in reverse terms so as to appear to be the wrong answer) that parallels the stimulus.

Original stimulus: A → B → C → D

Contrapositive: DCBA

The statement of the correct answer would read logically as follows (contrapositive reversed):

ABCD

But the language of the answer might further be structured like this to create additional confusion:

AD and BC , which is logically the same as A → B → C → D

It would make logical sense, but be so twisted up as to create the illusion of a mismatch. It's not worth sifting through those to get one or two points, assuming you can do them correctly.

I COMMAND YOU: DO THEM LAST!

Hmm, it's not clear what you are talking about here.

If you reverse the contrapositive of a given conditional you are stating the false/invalid/mistaken negation of the original statement, which is a flawed method of reasoning.

A ---> B
cp. ~B ---> ~A

Reverse of the contrapositive:
~A ---> ~B
That equals a false/incorrect/mistaken negation of the original premise.

It's not parallel to logically applying A ---> B or whatever chain like A ---> B ---> C ---> D in its positive or contrapositive form since one way is flawed and the other is logically valid.

By reversed do you mean the order the premises, elements, and conclusion are presented in the text?

Please cite a specific question that does what it is you are trying to describe.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:16 pm

I actually think when they're conditional reasoning, they're easiest. I almost don't even think: diagram original, then diagram the rest (I first try choices that have similarly constructed conclusions).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm

glucose101 wrote:(I first try choices that have similarly constructed conclusions).

That's a good time saving tip. Checking modality and quantification can also quickly eliminate a few answers (a stimulus with a 'will' conclusion and an answer choice with a 'might' don't mesh; a stimulus with an 'all' and two 'many's, and answer choices with 'some' don't mesh).

But yea, I usually recommend skipping them and coming back.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 am

Sometimes I read the stimulus and I just know "exactly what's going on here", and then I can blow up the question quickly. But if I can't prephrase the argument without looking at parallels, I skip it and come back later.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”