Sloth Hero

Re: Nootropics, Vitamins, and Brain Supplements

Postby Sloth Hero » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 am

Too many scientists in this thread. This ain't MCAT prep. :p

CHIJAMES11

Postby CHIJAMES11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

Hey,

I have always taken herbal supplements and I have a self-owned natural foods store near my house with a very educated owner. I have been taking a multi-vitamin, omega-3 fish oil, Rhodiola Rosea, Gingko and Eleuthero long before the LSAT for the general health benefits they provide. I highly recommend checking out Rhodiola Rosea - maybe it's just me but I notice a difference in my overall health. Whether or not, after I decided to take the LSAT I began taking an overall mind enhancing supplement called Diamond Mind which has a little bit of everything in it (b vitamins, Gotu Kola, Garlic, glutamine, etc) and also phosphatidylserine. Not all of the things I take are for my mind per say but overall health will play a huge factor in brain health and functioning. Also, I do not rely on these supplements to make the difference. I do feel like we live in a globalized world that now makes these things accessible and its almost like - why not? For thousands of years (and more recently through clinical studies) people have been taking certain herbs with reported benefits. The difference between me and someone else is that I am not relying on these supplements to make the difference in my LSAT score. Maybe its because I have been the supplement type long before taking the LSAT but it will always come down to me (or you), as my mother said "you get out of it what you put into it." If these supplements make a difference in my LSAT score I will never know.

CHIJAMES11

Postby CHIJAMES11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 am

I also wanted to add that it can be kind of hard to find solid clinical proof of some of these herbal supplements (especially with a simple google search). Try google scholar or the Mayo Clinic if a certain supplement catches your interest yet you still have some doubts. For example, I had my doubts about phosphatidylserine so I decided to do some research on it with positive results. Remember, don't just go with what someone tells you!

Oh and I noticed someone talked about coffee as well. I love coffee so don't get me wrong here but I'd go with black tea. Tea generally works as a long term stimulant whereas coffee jacks you up real quick. There have also been numerous studies that indicate Earl Grey not only has long lasting stimulant effects but actually makes you happier (what really is happiness though, right? haha) and can alleviate depression. Both coffee and tea have antioxidants too for a healthy body :)

Remember, everything in your body works in sync. Keep the body healthy and the mind will see results and vice versa.

I hope I helped :D

James

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Pure Caffeine is the best but supp companies never wanna sell it alone. All that other crap doesn't work. Gingko is 23% caffeine which you will just piss out. Jack3d is about the only sup that works or a good weight loss pill but you need to be in great shape or you will just get light headed. Also add medicine like adderal, never ritalin. These supps won't make you smarter but help you have elite focus which in turn helps you study more effective. Don't listen to the kids who have never used a stim in their life and are afraid of coffee. Also vits like 1adays are jokes, you will just piss those out also, basically your paying for bright yellow pee. Go to a bodybuilding site and search around a read reviews.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I prefer l-tyrosine to pure caffeine (vivarian). You don't get the caffeine crash.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:49 pm

bruss wrote:Pure Caffeine is the best but supp companies never wanna sell it alone. All that other crap doesn't work. Gingko is 23% caffeine which you will just piss out. Jack3d is about the only sup that works or a good weight loss pill but you need to be in great shape or you will just get light headed. Also add medicine like adderal, never ritalin. These supps won't make you smarter but help you have elite focus which in turn helps you study more effective. Don't listen to the kids who have never used a stim in their life and are afraid of coffee. Also vits like 1adays are jokes, you will just piss those out also, basically your paying for bright yellow pee. Go to a bodybuilding site and search around a read reviews.

Perhaps you should stop sampling a bunch of the stims all the time. Your rambling manic sounding post speaks volumes about what loading up on them can do.

bruss

Postby bruss » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:39 am

Jeffort wrote:
bruss wrote:Pure Caffeine is the best but supp companies never wanna sell it alone. All that other crap doesn't work. Gingko is 23% caffeine which you will just piss out. Jack3d is about the only sup that works or a good weight loss pill but you need to be in great shape or you will just get light headed. Also add medicine like adderal, never ritalin. These supps won't make you smarter but help you have elite focus which in turn helps you study more effective. Don't listen to the kids who have never used a stim in their life and are afraid of coffee. Also vits like 1adays are jokes, you will just piss those out also, basically your paying for bright yellow pee. Go to a bodybuilding site and search around a read reviews.

Perhaps you should stop sampling a bunch of the stims all the time. Your rambling manic sounding post speaks volumes about what loading up on them can do.

Nice attack the person and not the logic in the argument. Also I've been studying in Spain for about a month, so combine that with me just wanting to give him/her speedy information, is probably why I've been writing iike a caveman. Lo siento
Last edited by bruss on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruss

Postby bruss » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am

glucose101 wrote:I prefer l-tyrosine to pure caffeine (vivarian). You don't get the caffeine crash.

You can avoid the crash by drinking water and laying off the sugar. but just like with caffeine it will be hard to find it being sold separately and for a decent price

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

In my experience, it's really just cheaper to purchase l-tyrosine. It equals out to being cheaper than free form caffeine. And you don't get the jitters.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm

5-Hour Energy in the am. Ganja in the pm.

Klinklang

Postby Klinklang » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Adderall son! Get shit done.

*I neither endorse nor partake in the use of prescription medication without express written approval of a medical professional.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 pm

I have a medical license to blaze.

Storm

Postby Storm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 pm

anewaphorist wrote:I have a medical license to blaze.

Awesome.

jazzmastersc

Postby jazzmastersc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Storm wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:i took some from GNC that do improve your focus. i even conducted some placebo effects on myself where i had my mother switch them up for me so i wouldn't know which was it. these do work.

the caveat - they make you urinate up a storm, and the urge comes on suddenly in under 105 minutes (3 sections), which is why i got off them before the test.

So what did you take specifically that helped? I'm not too worried about urinating a lot. I'll piss my pants during the test if it helps me get a few extra points.

You say that now. During two different administrations I almost screwed up entire sections because of how badly I needed a piss break.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am

anewaphorist wrote:I have a medical license to blaze.

Welcome to California! For a tummy ache or for cancer?

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:52 pm

California isn't the only state with legalized medicinal marijuana; there are 15 others as well as DC. TAYQ, for back problems associated with scoliosis. Hopefully, my decision letter from Stanford will render your salutation more coherent.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 pm

anewaphorist wrote:I prefer THC, a great performance enhancer. Just ask Phelps or Lincecum...

TITCR

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 pm

anewaphorist wrote:California isn't the only state with legalized medicinal marijuana; there are 15 others as well as DC. TAYQ, for back problems associated with scoliosis. Hopefully, my decision letter from Stanford will render your salutation more coherent.

I know, my comment was kinda sarcastic since CA was the first state to get it passed (prop 215). After years of strife with the feds the road was paved for support in other states. It started in 1996 and took years for the roots to spread a bit. Many people in CA went to jail and some died (jailed or not) over several years after the law was passed just to get CA courts to actually recognize and apply the law in criminal court hearings before other states had the balls to even try to pass a similar law. Many cancer and other seriously ill patients in CA sacrificed their lives along the way. Here is a starting point if you want to read about the struggle as it began. --LinkRemoved--

Even though I'm in favor of the laws that allow it for medical use, I abhor people that abuse the law and treat it as a joke for recreational purposes to score some weed fast/easily since that diminishes the credibility of the entire legit reasons behind the laws that many people sacrificed enormously to get on the books in the first place. I still cannot get my elderly mom to even consider the notion that there is medical value in mj because she is biased against it due to bad publicity about the laws being a loophole for stoners to just get high cuz of news stories about people that abuse the laws to score some for the weekend or whatever.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”