Nootropics, Vitamins, and Brain Supplements

Storm

Nootropics, Vitamins, and Brain Supplements

Postby Storm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 pm

I've read some of the other threads on here about what supplements people have used but none of them seemed very thorough in their responses. Has anyone on here tried any nootropics, supplements, or vitamins that have helped them to focus and stay alert while studying and testing? I'm not looking for a magic pill, I'm just wondering if anyone has had success in their studying and preparation with different supplements. Also what dosage and for what duration did you use these supplements, and how effective were they? Please mention any that you have tried. Here are a few examples.

e.g.
Vinpocetine
Ginko Biloba
DMAE
Piracetam (I'm especially interested in hearing more about this one)
B-Complex Vitamins
Choline
Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Focus Factor

NZA

Re: Nootropics, Vitamins, and Brain Supplements

Postby NZA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm a big fan of going with big doses of 'study, learn and practice' to build the skillzzz.

Add water, appropriate food and R&R as needed.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Why would anybody waste their money on this bullshit? I guess this same question could be asked about law school...

witorres89

Postby witorres89 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I've heard vitamin R can help a lot

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Ginko works I hear. But only if you already have memory problems.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 pm

None of those things is going to make you smarter; several of them contain nutrients that will make you healthier if they are currently missing from your diet.

I would take either the fish or flax oil (both are sources of omega-3 fatty acids), along with a multivitamin, for general well being. I would not take any of them for test performance/studying.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 pm

I prefer THC, a great performance enhancer. Just ask Phelps or Lincecum...

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Save your money and buy more preptests.
Last edited by Verity on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

db616

Postby db616 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Fish Oil is generally good for cognitive function. The type of fat it contains is used by your body to make the myelin sheath that surrounds many nerve cells and allows for faster transmission of the electrical signals these nerves carry. While its not going to make you any smarter, neurons that a myelinated fully send signals more efficiently and can lead (in theory) to better cognition.

I've been taking fish oil off and on for a few years now and it is the only supplement I've taken that I can actually feel the effects. It is by no means a drastic difference in cognitive performance, but still noticeable. That said, I'm only one person and I'm fully aware that this could merely be a placebo effect.

Storm

Postby Storm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:01 pm

db616 wrote:Fish Oil is generally good for cognitive function. The type of fat it contains is used by your body to make the myelin sheath that surrounds many nerve cells and allows for faster transmission of the electrical signals these nerves carry. While its not going to make you any smarter, neurons that a myelinated fully send signals more efficiently and can lead (in theory) to better cognition.

I've been taking fish oil off and on for a few years now and it is the only supplement I've taken that I can actually feel the effects. It is by no means a drastic difference in cognitive performance, but still noticeable. That said, I'm only one person and I'm fully aware that this could merely be a placebo effect.

Yeah i'm a big fan of fish oil, although I have to take a lot of it to really notice a difference.

Storm

Postby Storm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:04 pm

anewaphorist wrote:I prefer THC, a great performance enhancer. Just ask Phelps or Lincecum...

A little off topic but how cool was Brian Wilson's spandex tux? I thought it was super badass.

pontificator

Postby pontificator » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Storm wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:I prefer THC, a great performance enhancer. Just ask Phelps or Lincecum...

A little off topic but how cool was Brian Wilson's spandex tux? I thought it was super badass.

Indeed.

Storm

Postby Storm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Verity wrote:Save your money and buy more preptests.

Already have all of them. Need something else to waste money on.

Renzo wrote:None of those things is going to make you smarter; several of them contain nutrients that will make you healthier if they are currently missing from your diet.

I would take either the fish or flax oil (both are sources of omega-3 fatty acids), along with a multivitamin, for general well being. I would not take any of them for test performance/studying.

Like I said I'm not looking for a magic pill or anything to make me "smarter". Just looking for anything that might help with focus or maybe help cut out some of the stress that comes with studying for the LSAT. And yes I already know that adderall and ritalin are awesome, but I want something more natural.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I guarantee you, there is no OTC pill that's going to appreciably improve your focus. Try reading a lot.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:29 pm

i took some from GNC that do improve your focus. i even conducted some placebo effects on myself where i had my mother switch them up for me so i wouldn't know which was it. these do work.

the caveat - they make you urinate up a storm, and the urge comes on suddenly in under 105 minutes (3 sections), which is why i got off them before the test.

Storm

Postby Storm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:i took some from GNC that do improve your focus. i even conducted some placebo effects on myself where i had my mother switch them up for me so i wouldn't know which was it. these do work.

the caveat - they make you urinate up a storm, and the urge comes on suddenly in under 105 minutes (3 sections), which is why i got off them before the test.

So what did you take specifically that helped? I'm not too worried about urinating a lot. I'll piss my pants during the test if it helps me get a few extra points.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Storm wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:i took some from GNC that do improve your focus. i even conducted some placebo effects on myself where i had my mother switch them up for me so i wouldn't know which was it. these do work.

So what did you take specifically that helped? I'm not too worried about urinating a lot. I'll piss my pants during the test if it helps me get a few extra points.

focus formula from GNC. i still use it sometimes when i'm tutoring somebody who is scoring a 165+ already on the test or if i'm out with my girlfriend's dad who is very sharp witted. there is a tangible difference - i'm more on the ball, less spacy. however, don't discount urination. nothing can be more distracting than having to pee while trying to solve a complex parallel flaw.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Storm wrote:
db616 wrote:Fish Oil is generally good for cognitive function. The type of fat it contains is used by your body to make the myelin sheath that surrounds many nerve cells and allows for faster transmission of the electrical signals these nerves carry. While its not going to make you any smarter, neurons that a myelinated fully send signals more efficiently and can lead (in theory) to better cognition.

Yeah i'm a big fan of fish oil, although I have to take a lot of it to really notice a difference.

How much do you have to take to notice? I take 2.5g per day now, and though I've notice a drop in blood pressure, I haven't really noticed anything else.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:53 pm

eating well balanced meals does help too, OP. it is very underrated, but i quickly noticed the difference between my performance a day after having a turkey breast sandwich with lettuce, carrots and tomatoes vs. general tso's chicken.

arris

Postby arris » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:15 pm

The compounds themselves are necessary, but it's not the case you can "feel" anything in large dosages. I would take a look at some journals and chalk it up to the placebo effect whenever you "feel" something working in the short term. On the other hand, some of the compounds and vitamins listed are necessary for functioning but I doubt one needs them much unless they are suffering a serious nutrient deficiency.

As unexotic as they may seem, if you need something to fight fatigue and perhaps increase focus, everyday stimulants are probably your best bet. Assuming your general physical and mental health are in order.

Storm

Postby Storm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:19 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Storm wrote:

How much do you have to take to notice? I take 2.5g per day now, and though I've notice a drop in blood pressure, I haven't really noticed anything else.

Actually I needed to correct that as I've recently switched to flax seed oil, and I take about 4 grams a day and it helps me feel a little more relaxed and makes it easier to clear my mind so that I can study more effectively.

flexityflex86 wrote:
Storm wrote:

focus formula from GNC. i still use it sometimes when i'm tutoring somebody who is scoring a 165+ already on the test or if i'm out with my girlfriend's dad who is very sharp witted. there is a tangible difference - i'm more on the ball, less spacy. however, don't discount urination. nothing can be more distracting than having to pee while trying to solve a complex parallel flaw.

Awesome I'll have to give it a try.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 am

Caffeine is the largest performance booster for me :p

I'm not a scientist, but give em' a shot and if they help you, are you at least think they are helping, then go for it. Let me know if they help.

But let's stop beating around the bush, just snort coke.

CSLEE

Postby CSLEE » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:42 am

Yes, There are studies in Neuroscience that Fish Oil does in fact aid with cognitive function, such as memory.
The type of Fat is contains is used by the body to make myelin shealth?
True but most of fat in myelin is composed of oleic acid, typically called monounsaturated fat(Omega-9), which is usually from animals and vegies(olive oil). Despite the fact that myelinated Axons do have faster sensory ascending rate, consuming good fat shouldn't be for the above reason(myelin), unless your an infant.

Anyways,OP, Benefits of GOOD Diet in general will outweigh any "supplements" You've mentioned.
The best supplement your able to find are usually FREE. haha.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 am

This is what I use to supplement my brain deficiency but it's only to be used by people who have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD.
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”