Making photocopies of WHICH sections?

notaznguy

Making photocopies of WHICH sections?

Postby notaznguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 am

So I have the homework/work book from Testmasters, but I don't actually want to write in them because I may actually want to do them again some time in the future after the course is over (or in the event I need to retake and would like to work on them again).

However, instead of writing my answers on a notebook, I read on TLS that for some sections, such as logic games, it's recommended that you actually make copies instead so that you can get used to diagramming on the tiny space that is available to you.

Aside from logic games, do you think I should make photocopies of logical reasoning or reading comp as well? Sometimes you have to diagram for LR and you have to get used to underlining and taking notes in RC right?

What do you guys do?

totaltest.milan

Re: Making photocopies of WHICH sections?

Postby totaltest.milan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 am

Just in general you want your practice to mimic actual test conditions. Which, among other things, means working from the actual test materials, or photocopies. There's definitely less interaction with the materials in the arguments and reading sections but there is some and it's a good idea to work in them. So if you're planning on reusing them then definitely make copies.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:33 pm

When I was prepping, I shot myself in the foot when I didn't photocopy logic games. Logic games are the one section where repeating sections you've already done can still help you. It should help you build diagramming skills, and let most normal relationships become second nature (i.e., you see "No B unless A" so much that your brain doesn't have to work to process it). Because I didn't photocopy mine the first time, my girlfriend and I had to photoshop out all the marks and diagrams. You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you do it the first time.

Logical reasoning and reading comp are less valuable to scan and repeat, in my opinion. I personally remember most logical reasoning and reading comp. questions when I look at them the second time. Of course, review why you got answers wrong, but they seem less suited for replayability. I don't think most logical reasoning should be diagrammed, either; of course the formal logic questions should be, but there are usually few of those on any given test, and if you are diagramming most of your LR, you are taking too long in the section.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Perdevise wrote:When I was prepping, I shot myself in the foot when I didn't photocopy logic games. Logic games are the one section where repeating sections you've already done can still help you. It should help you build diagramming skills, and let most normal relationships become second nature (i.e., you see "No B unless A" so much that your brain doesn't have to work to process it). Because I didn't photocopy mine the first time, my girlfriend and I had to photoshop out all the marks and diagrams. You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you do it the first time.

Logical reasoning and reading comp are less valuable to scan and repeat, in my opinion. I personally remember most logical reasoning and reading comp. questions when I look at them the second time. Of course, review why you got answers wrong, but they seem less suited for replayability. I don't think most logical reasoning should be diagrammed, either; of course the formal logic questions should be, but there are usually few of those on any given test, and if you are diagramming most of your LR, you are taking too long in the section.

Shoot, really? I've been mainly diagramming conditional reasoning stimuli because it seems difficult at first to juggle all that information in my head. Damn =/

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 pm

My bad, I didn't mean to imply that you should never diagram conditional statements to get the hang of them, especially in LR. IWhat I meant was that after practicing for a while, if you see a LR question that basically says "A unless B", you are spending valuable time diagramming "not A --> B". I used the Logical Reasoning Bible, and they have 'homework' or drill assignments where you turn sentences into conditional statements. At some point noncomplex conditional statements and their contrapositives should be natural.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”