Freaking Logical Reasoning is hard

hansun

Freaking Logical Reasoning is hard

Postby hansun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 pm

I having trouble with Logical Reasoning is anyone having the same problem. I keep getting suckered by the question. I don't know. I'm registered for the Oct 2011 exam, but I'm just venting my frustrations. Analytical Reasoning is easy.

incompetentia

Re: Freaking Logical Reasoning is hard

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Have you explored why you're getting questions wrong and which types you seem to have more trouble with?

hansun

Postby hansun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm not focused enough I tend not to go through all of the choices and just pick the one that I think is right without weighing out the other options. I think I'm going into this too confidently that's the problem. I think with practice and discipline I'll be able to do better.
The questions I've been doing have been the online practice questions. Its usually just 5 questions or something like that and then it just gives the correct answer and explains it. I'm not ready to sit down for 3 and 1/2 hours to do a practice exam. I want to focus on getting the thinking pattern correctly then just doing practice tests for now.

sam25

Postby sam25 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Last edited by sam25 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:52 am

I might be stating the obvious but I've learned not to make assumptions.
Have you tried reading Powerscore's LR bible or Manhattan's LR guide?

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 am

Logical Reasoning is not so much difficult as complex. The key to doing well on it is to develop a good understanding of the different question types and the correct approaches for them. Wish I could tell you that there’s some easy 5-step process for getting every single question right but it just doesn’t work like that; you have to:

1) Learn how to recognize the different question types and learn the approaches to doing them along with their variations
2) Practice the questions individually, untimed, until you get them down and can do them with reasonable accuracy and the ones you don’t get right you see why you got wrong (around 50 questions per type)
3) Do logical reasoning sections by themselves, untimed, to develop a feel for doing the sections and to further practice doing questions (around 20 sections)
4) Do timed tests

That’s the basic approach for someone who’s a beginner and is having problems with the questions across the board, obviously it all depends on your specific situation – are there any questions in particular that give you problems? do you have a hard time concentrating? do you have a solid understanding of logic and verbal reasoning? etc.

Other people have mentioned the Powerscore and Manhattan LSAT books, those are really good resources and worth the investment since like I said it’s unavoidable that you’ll have to learn the proper approach for each question (what to look for, how to separate the correct from the incorrect answers, etc). You should also check out my site, I have a resources section with articles that explain all of the different question types that you’ll find on the test, other concepts that you’ll need to know, and lists of questions by type from the actual tests along with potential study schedules. And if you have any particular questions that are bothering you feel free to post them and we’ll take a look at them.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am

Be critical.

hansun

Postby hansun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

thanks for the tips i'll keep it in mind. I don't know if I"ll buy powerscore or the manhattan lsat because i'm signed up for Kaplan. I hope it works well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”