Third Time's a Charm!

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

How bad does it look to take the LSAT 3x... Really?

The first time I took it I was totally nervous. 10 points below my average=157.

I studied more, then received a 167, 10 points below my PT average at that time.

WTFFFFF. Should I re-take in October?

My GPA is 3.76 and I really wanted to go to a top five school, but now have no chance with these numbers obviously. :(

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm

OK. So, this post was kind of pointless because I know I need to definitely retake.

But, my real question is, did anyone on this forum get into a top 5 school after taking the LSAT 3x???

User avatar
Sloth Hero
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby Sloth Hero » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm sure its happened. Different schools have different frameworks for assessing retakes. But if you keep the trend going 157, 167, 177 you should be ok. :P They would probably have to accept you just for the novelty of it.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:18 pm

I can't speak to a Top 5, but I retook 3 times and ended up in the T14.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:I'm sure its happened. Different schools have different frameworks for assessing retakes. But if you keep the trend going 157, 167, 177 you should be ok. :P They would probably have to accept you just for the novelty of it.


LOL. Yes. This is exactly my plan! Actually, the only reason why I received these scores in the first place was just to see if it could be done.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Oh, also I plan on writing an addendum addressing my significant increases, specifically the 157. That test was a true anomaly. I had just changed medications and was excessively sleepy. I'm getting my doctor to write a note. I really should have canceled that damn test.

Also, I have ADHD and didn't seek accommodations because I wanted to do it w/o. Maybe I should mention that? Hm. I don't want to seem like a whiny excuse-maker, though.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby bartleby » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:25 am

don't mention it.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 am

Don't mention ADD/ADHD, it won't give you an advantage, especially since a large proportion of people that seek and attend LS are ADD/ADHD. The condition goes hand in hand with being able to be a good law student and a good lawyer. Plus, LSAC doesn't typically give special accommodations for it anyway.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:20 am

Jeffort wrote:Don't mention ADD/ADHD, it won't give you an advantage, especially since a large proportion of people that seek and attend LS are ADD/ADHD. The condition goes hand in hand with being able to be a good law student and a good lawyer. Plus, LSAC doesn't typically give special accommodations for it anyway.


Hm. Yeah. I agree. That's why I didn't apply for accommodations. I know for the GRE and grad schools they provide accommodations and look at such things, so I thought I should. But if you don't think that would work to my advantage, then I suppose I won't. Felt kind of iffy about it anyway.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 am

My main problem right now is I have no clue what to study. I did every practice test. :(

I think I did overestimate my PT avg a bit. Maybe more of a 174. So I didn't tank that badly on the real deal. Still could improve though.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby Kabuo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 am

I took the test 3x. Not really sure how it affected my cycle since there were many things affecting it, but maybe it did.

As far as what to study, if you're practicing at a 174 range already, you shoud just retake things you've already done in order of least recent to most recent. You just need to stay in LSAT shape. This is essentially all I did between Oct (172) and Feb (176). I prepped a lot harder before Oct than I did in February, which was mostly just a test or two a week to keep my LG sharp.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:52 am

Well, I know I definitely can improve my RC. Games I'm usually perfect at and arguments usually -0 to -2/3...

Soooo It's that damn RC that probably messed me up.

Any tips/sources I should study? I have the Bibles, but not the RC Bible. I heard it wasn't that great though. Should I try the Manhattan RC?

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby IamIn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:43 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Well, I know I definitely can improve my RC. Games I'm usually perfect at and arguments usually -0 to -2/3...

Soooo It's that damn RC that probably messed me up.

Any tips/sources I should study? I have the Bibles, but not the RC Bible. I heard it wasn't that great though. Should I try the Manhattan RC?


try anything that you think can help... I am in the same situation, RC is the only thing that holds me down. I personally think Manhattan RC is better than PS RC bible.. Also, a lot of people here recommend "How to read faster and better" by Norman Lewis

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Okay. I'll have to check that out.

Really trying for a 177 this time. The opportunity is truly just too good to pass up.

User avatar
IamIn
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby IamIn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 pm


User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks.

I'm not even sure that it's the RC that killed my score this time since I took an undisclosed international exam.

Maybe I bubbled shit wrong. Who knows. Oh well!!! Even when I was PTing though I'd still get the occasional RC with -4 or -5 sooo yeah. Average of -2 or -3 but maybe when I get nervous that goes down.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 am

Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.


You just took a 2 and a half hour PT? I'd suggest maybe getting up to 5-section tests with actual breaks to make testing conditions as accurate as possible.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:15 am

Yeah. That. And also, I think what happens to me on the real test though is that I doubt myself and obsess about time. I didn't think these distractions would impact my score but I guess they did. hmm.

User avatar
clouds101
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby clouds101 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:28 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.


Are you going to do anything different for your third retake? Do you think it's better to relax the week of the LSAT? I'm curious because I did better when I was studying right up to the real thing vs. not worrying about the LSAT (albeit I was stressed from school deadlines).

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:12 pm

clouds101 wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.


Are you going to do anything different for your third retake? Do you think it's better to relax the week of the LSAT? I'm curious because I did better when I was studying right up to the real thing vs. not worrying about the LSAT (albeit I was stressed from school deadlines).


I'm not sure. I will definitely do a PT or so that week but I kind of got a bit crazed. I really think it's the nervousness. But who knows? Maybe I just mis-bubbled part of a section. It's happened before. One time in college our professor ranted about how we should be more attentive when bubbling because one person sadly had all of the answers correct but mis-bubbled a significant portion of the exam. I sat there, baffled with my only C+ of my entire college career. It turned out it was me. haha. (We worked out a deal and I ended up with an A- on that exam though.)

For some people studying up until the real deal is what makes them feel comfortable. For me, I don't know. In college I always studied/stressed a lot less than others with similar academic standing to me. I very rarely ever did work on the weekends and had multiple majors + was in the honors program but that was just me. Others in my classes fretted and studied all weekend long. I don't know. Everyone works differently.

Maybe me trying to adopt crazy perfectionist thinking and getting nervous about the impact this could have on my future made me dip 5-7 pts. I don't know. I'll keep you updated if that helps. Are you re-taking?

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Just to clarify though, I did work hard in college but I also needed my "fun time" when maybe other people with similar grades to me needed less of it. Or freaked out more. Or something. My LSAT prep has to be coupled with at least one or two days off a week. When I tried otherwise it always worked to my disadvantage.

What I am going to try to do differently is READ more dense material from Foreign Policy mag, Scientific American, New Scientist, etc. every SINGLE day. I think my attention span for reading has greatly diminished since college. Damn internets.

User avatar
clouds101
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby clouds101 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
clouds101 wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.


Are you going to do anything different for your third retake? Do you think it's better to relax the week of the LSAT? I'm curious because I did better when I was studying right up to the real thing vs. not worrying about the LSAT (albeit I was stressed from school deadlines).


I'm not sure. I will definitely do a PT or so that week but I kind of got a bit crazed. I really think it's the nervousness. But who knows? Maybe I just mis-bubbled part of a section. It's happened before. One time in college our professor ranted about how we should be more attentive when bubbling because one person sadly had all of the answers correct but mis-bubbled a significant portion of the exam. I sat there, baffled with my only C+ of my entire college career. It turned out it was me. haha. (We worked out a deal and I ended up with an A- on that exam though.)

For some people studying up until the real deal is what makes them feel comfortable. For me, I don't know. In college I always studied/stressed a lot less than others with similar academic standing to me. I very rarely ever did work on the weekends and had multiple majors + was in the honors program but that was just me. Others in my classes fretted and studied all weekend long. I don't know. Everyone works differently.

Maybe me trying to adopt crazy perfectionist thinking and getting nervous about the impact this could have on my future made me dip 5-7 pts. I don't know. I'll keep you updated if that helps. Are you re-taking?


Yup. Let's make the third one count :)

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby JustE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am

clouds101 wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:
clouds101 wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Well. That's nice. I just took a PT and got a 180. I haven't studied in a month. Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I was burnt out right before the test. I went pretty hardcore with my PTs/studying in the week 1/2 right before the test. Probably a mistake.

GAH.


Are you going to do anything different for your third retake? Do you think it's better to relax the week of the LSAT? I'm curious because I did better when I was studying right up to the real thing vs. not worrying about the LSAT (albeit I was stressed from school deadlines).


I'm not sure. I will definitely do a PT or so that week but I kind of got a bit crazed. I really think it's the nervousness. But who knows? Maybe I just mis-bubbled part of a section. It's happened before. One time in college our professor ranted about how we should be more attentive when bubbling because one person sadly had all of the answers correct but mis-bubbled a significant portion of the exam. I sat there, baffled with my only C+ of my entire college career. It turned out it was me. haha. (We worked out a deal and I ended up with an A- on that exam though.)

For some people studying up until the real deal is what makes them feel comfortable. For me, I don't know. In college I always studied/stressed a lot less than others with similar academic standing to me. I very rarely ever did work on the weekends and had multiple majors + was in the honors program but that was just me. Others in my classes fretted and studied all weekend long. I don't know. Everyone works differently.

Maybe me trying to adopt crazy perfectionist thinking and getting nervous about the impact this could have on my future made me dip 5-7 pts. I don't know. I'll keep you updated if that helps. Are you re-taking?


Yup. Let's make the third one count :)

This. I'm in the same boat. 153, 162, and now hoping for a 171. Wondering if a 3.2 and URM status would give me a shot at the T6 with those scores. Good luck guys!

totaltest.milan
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Third Time's a Charm!

Postby totaltest.milan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:14 am

Read philosophy textbooks, the blackwells series is very good. Dense magazine material isn't as helpful because as dense and sophisticated as it might seem it's still designed so that you're reading for content/information. You're supposed to learn to read the RC passages for structure/argument. I recommend that my students read the philosophy of law title from the blackwells series. I keep hearing good things about the manhattan RC book so you might want to check it out. Check out my site as well, I have a bunch of articles on RC in my resources section. You seem to be doing the right things so don't stress too much and focus on your weak areas. Different schools have different approaches when it comes to multiple LSATs, for the most part they average them, but some will disregard the lower score if the higher one is significantly higher.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pozzo and 6 guests