Improving Time on RC Passages

Improving Time on RC Passages

Postby rocketman21 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I know there are many posts covering this topic, but I wanted to get some individual feedback from the board.

I am signed up for the October LSAT and I am currently scoring in the mid to upper 160s on PTs. The majority of my missed questions are from RC, solely because I run out of time on the last passage (usually before I can even read the questions). I have pretty good accuracy, but the time is killing me. I'm wandering if anyone out there has had this same problem and overcame it.

I am still developing a "hybrid" technique that mainly consists of underlining the main point of each paragraph and identifying specific terms (names, buildings, countries, etc.). I can usually finish a passage in anywhere between 2-3 minutes depending on the material and what seems to be giving me the most trouble is the time I spend on the questions (anywhere from 1-2 min per question). I know RC is my weakness, but I just hope I can improve this come October.

p.s. I have read the Manhattan LSAT RC strategy guide and try to incorporate its techniques as much as possible..

Sloth Hero

Re: Improving Time on RC Passages

Postby Sloth Hero » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Figure out which type of passage you are struggling with time limits.

science, diversity, law, comparative...

Then make sure to practice those a bunch, and find out what about them is so challenging to you.

Or make a strategic concession, and when you identify your weak passage type on the actual exam, do that one last.

If there's nothing easily identifiable like that, then just do the ol' tried and true method of writing out:

Why you chose a particular incorrect answer
Why those reasons don't answer the question
What the correct answer is
Why this answer fully answers the question
What you did wrong
How you 'should have' gone about solving the problem
What you'll do next time you encounter a problem like this

and whatever else you think is valuable.

This might help you isolate your errors.

Postby clouds101 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

While answering Q's: Personally, I find that I am more accurate when I eliminate 4 wrong answers rather than trying to sniff out the right one. I noticed that when I'm spending 8+ minutes on a RC passage, it's because I'm juggling between 3 "maybe" choices and trying to see which one is "more correct".

At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you. If you're interested, I posted more of my RC strategies on my blog (shameless plug): [url][/url]

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am

2-3 minutes is a decent amount of time spent on reading, although if you could cap that at about 2 minutes, you'd probably be a lot better off.

Are you spending a lot of time on any specific question type (for example, author viewpoint questions)? If so, you could do the simpler questions first and try to move those toward the end, when you know how close to 9 minutes you are in terms of timing that passage as a whole.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”