June Failure. October retake or wait a year?

mac35352

June Failure. October retake or wait a year?

Postby mac35352 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:37 am

I studied for 4 months for the June LSAT. MY PT average was in the mid high 160s. Hit the 170s 2 times. LG was my strong section since I got a maximum of -4 on abad day but usually around -1. On test day I left feeling confident thatmy LG was OK, maybe -2 -4. Instead I ended up with a -10 :evil:
I missbubbled questions 13 to 20. Skipped another one that I don't even remember skipping, etc. The whole thing was a mess. And I was so shocked that it took me all this time to actually wrap my head around the fact that I can't do anything about June.
Now My LR was -10 and my RC was -8. I was surprised I got -6 on the first LR because I thought it was easier than the second. And I wasn't surprised about RC because I guessed the last 3 questions (which I got all wrong). Ended up with a 158 which was the score I was getting in March. I was above 164 all of April and May.
Now, a retake in October sounds like a logical step to take since the material is still "fresh" and I have August and September to study. The problem I have with this is that I am going to be very busy in September. I am taking 18 credits and working 25 hours a week. I think I can accomodate 15-20 hrs a week of LSAT studying but no more than that. I also worry that the stress from the LSAT is going to affect my GPA. On the plus side school is not that busy the first month of the semester so I might be just fine.
My other choice is to retake next June/October. I finish school in May and have an internship next summer but I don't think is going to be too much. I'll rather not wait that long but I might have to if I am too overwhelmed for October.
So now my question is: should I retake in October or wait a year. Would you recommend an October retake regardless of my school schedule?
Thank you TLS.

JamMasterJ

Re: June Failure. October retake or wait a year?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 am

15 hrs per week for a retake isn't bad

BruceDenton

Postby BruceDenton » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 am

Sounds like you think you could manage a retake this September, but if you are in no rush to matriculate, you could always wait. What about a December retake and applying the following year? If you're on a roll studying, you might now want to what till next June IMO.

You'll probably be fine with any retake though, sounds like you just had a bad test day.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 am

15 hrs a week for two months should be enough, right? I can't do Decemeber because I will be in finals around that time and I will not have the energy to deal with all of it at the same time.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 am

Sup, bro.

You should be fine on a retake with that amount of time. Sounds like what you will need to stress is getting in the right mindset for the test, considering that your PT average was pretty decent.

If you want, hit the books hard in August (take a bit of time off now), maybe 25 hours a week if you can swing it, and then keep light prep going through September. Added benefit is that you can pace yourself without having to worry about purely LSAT-related burnout.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am

incompetentia wrote:Sup, bro.

You should be fine on a retake with that amount of time. Sounds like what you will need to stress is getting in the right mindset for the test, considering that your PT average was pretty decent.

If you want, hit the books hard in August (take a bit of time off now), maybe 25 hours a week if you can swing it, and then keep light prep going through September. Added benefit is that you can pace yourself without having to worry about purely LSAT-related burnout.

Incompetentia...what's up?
Thanks for the advice. I'm mostly free in August with the exception of a week vacation to Vegas (I'm not studying there and I already bought the ticket). But I can put 25-30 hrs in August without a problem. Should I go back to the bibles for now and just drill and take a PT or 2 a week in September?
Not sure how to study for a retake but I am ready to do it again. October it is.
Should I start doing games for now? I still can't believe the games killed me in June...blah!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm

mac35352 wrote:Should I go back to the bibles for now and just drill and take a PT or 2 a week in September?
Not sure how to study for a retake but I am ready to do it again. October it is.
Should I start doing games for now? I still can't believe the games killed me in June...blah!

This sounds like a decent plan. I think 2 PTs/wk with light review is doable based on what you've said with your schedule.

You might want to run this by others, though, as my study schedule was objectively horrible.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”