180 PT, Cancelled June, Retaking October

TheRedMamba

180 PT, Cancelled June, Retaking October

Postby TheRedMamba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Hey everyone I need some advice

I took TestMasters to prepare for the June test and, long story short, I had a panic attack during the last section (RC), could not regain my focus and cancelled my score right then and there. Prior to the test, I had been doing very well on PTs both on my own and through TestMasters. In my last proctored PT with testmasters I scored a 180, so I am confident that I can do very well on this test. My other PTs ranged from 170-178, usually somewhere in between.

I don't think I need to do the same amount of studying that I did for June, because I know the concepts tested on the LSAT and I have gone over almost all of the material. I have 4 PTs left and some questions, but not much else.

How do you think I should prep going into the October test? Also, any advice on keeping your calm during the actual test?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone that is studying for October!

glewz

Re: 180 PT, Cancelled June, Retaking October

Postby glewz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:38 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:Hey everyone I need some advice

I took TestMasters to prepare for the June test and, long story short, I had a panic attack during the last section (RC), could not regain my focus and cancelled my score right then and there. Prior to the test, I had been doing very well on PTs both on my own and through TestMasters. In my last proctored PT with testmasters I scored a 180, so I am confident that I can do very well on this test. My other PTs ranged from 170-178, usually somewhere in between.

I don't think I need to do the same amount of studying that I did for June, because I know the concepts tested on the LSAT and I have gone over almost all of the material. I have 4 PTs left and some questions, but not much else.

How do you think I should prep going into the October test? Also, any advice on keeping your calm during the actual test?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone that is studying for October!

Minimum 1 test every 2 weeks until October. Repeat past tests via:
http://www.amazon.com/More-Actual-Offic ... 0942639804
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Offic ... pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/10-Actual-Officia ... pd_sim_b_2

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 pm

You scored from 170 to 180 on preptests and you're asking for advice on how to study???

Also, re: Panic.
Avoiding Panic

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 pm

To clarify, I am just looking for advice concerning how often/when to start reviewing again. I was thinking about starting again in mid-August by doing 1-2 PTs a week and that's about it. How does that sound?

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:43 am

Here's a great thread that might give you some good information.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120471

This guy got a 180. He went to the testing center beforehand (it helps with anxiety for some people). Also if there is any issue with parking or getting lost, you won't be stressed out on test day.
He also suggests PT-ing in a noisy environment. I can tell you that it helps. I couldn't focus with my mom watching TV and my dog barking at first but after a while I barely notice it anymore. This might help on test day when there are distractions like pencil scribbling or someone barfing (I read it happened somewhere) in the middle of the test.

Also, since you are to be repeating some tests, take them with 30-25 minutes/section. I hear it helps a lot with speed and it'll also compensate for your familiarity with the material.

Hope that helps.

Just wondering, what was your base score? And how long did it take to get your PT scores to mid 170 average?

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 am

TheRedMamba wrote:To clarify, I am just looking for advice concerning how often/when to start reviewing again. I was thinking about starting again in mid-August by doing 1-2 PTs a week and that's about it. How does that sound?

That is fine. Closer to test day, you want to be doing 2 PTs a week.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:02 am

senorhosh wrote:He also suggests PT-ing in a noisy environment.

Absolutely this. Learning how to focus when it seems like that should be impossible is almost essential to outscoring your PT average on the real thing.

Also, since you are to be repeating some tests, take them with 30-25 minutes/section. I hear it helps a lot with speed and it'll also compensate for your familiarity with the material.

Also this. The faster you can get while staying accurate will help a LOT with relaxation during the exam. I was down to ~25 minutes per section, and I still used up almost all the time on the real thing being deliberate about each question.

I find that there are really two types of people - those that need to be calm for a test, and those that need to be energized. If you know that you need to be calm, you might think about what you're doing immediately before the test. I had a playlist of mellow music that I played before my last 8-10 PTs and before the test (it was just slightly longer than my drive to the testing center so I could chill for 3-5 minutes and listen to the last song before I went inside).

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

senorhosh wrote: Just wondering, what was your base score? And how long did it take to get your PT scores to mid 170 average?

I was all over the 170-180 range. My first cold diagnostic I scored a 162 and a few weeks later I scored 174 and never fell below 170 again. I am a philosophy major so the LR sections came easier for me than for most people. My scores basically fluctuated with the LG section.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 pm

If that's the case, you need to additionally hit LG hard. You should be regularly -0 on that section. It really should be your safest section heading into the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”