How do parents study?

sfsplitter

How do parents study?

Postby sfsplitter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 am

Hi all, I was just wondering how the other parents of young children have made time to study while parenting/working/ug'ing. I have only a few quiet hours during my days not in class (nap time) and then evenings after bed, what would some successful scorers suggest? thanks

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: How do parents study?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 pm

I think this is the same struggle that folks with busy jobs face, but with an added emotional workload.

I would set up a schedule for yourself, and if it's not during naptime, bedtime, work somewhere other than at your home. Also, prepare mini drills that you can do during periods when your kids are self-entertaining. If doing a game requires finding the book, figuring out what to work on, etc., it'll be hard to get going. Instead, have the practice sets flagged, ready to go, always sitting in the same place.

Perhaps splurge on a sitter for full preptests once per week. And make those count! (5 sections, real timing, etc.)

I wish I had a magic idea, something like "write logic games on your child's butt so that when you change diapers, you can practice" but alas...

Good luck!

sfsplitter

Postby sfsplitter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I think this is the same struggle that folks with busy jobs face, but with an added emotional workload.

I would set up a schedule for yourself, and if it's not during naptime, bedtime, work somewhere other than at your home. Also, prepare mini drills that you can do during periods when your kids are self-entertaining. If doing a game requires finding the book, figuring out what to work on, etc., it'll be hard to get going. Instead, have the practice sets flagged, ready to go, always sitting in the same place.

Perhaps splurge on a sitter for full preptests once per week. And make those count! (5 sections, real timing, etc.)

I wish I had a magic idea, something like "write logic games on your child's butt so that when you change diapers, you can practice" but alas...

Good luck!

haha.. thanks, i especially like the logic games on the butt part!

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Been there done that got the t shirt. As a working parent I didn't have long stretches of time so I would do a couple sections a night three times a week and a full test on Sundays. Closer to the test, I did a full test one night a week besides the one on Sunday. In order to compensate for the relative lack of time, it is important to maintain this for longer - I did it from May to the October test, and then again till my December retake. It is a LOT off effort but the payoff can be worthwhile. And if it's any consolation, it was totally NOT my type of thing to do either.

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 pm

If there is anything I can say... it is that I have learned my lesson. It does not look like I will be going to school this year so the studying must happen. I work a 50 hr week and have 2 small children. At this point I think more than quantity must be quality. I think I went through the actions and did not comprehend as much as I should have.

sfsplitter

Postby sfsplitter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:34 pm

I am so desperate for study time that I have considered dropping him with the 24 hour fitness childcare I pay extra for and study in the locker room on the days I don't work out! They will watch him for up to two hours! :D

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

sfsplitter wrote:I am so desperate for study time that I have considered dropping him with the 24 hour fitness childcare I pay extra for and study in the locker room on the days I don't work out! They will watch him for up to two hours! :D

You're in the clear. This passes the what-would-Nancy-Botwin-do test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”