PowerScore before Testmasters?

JayTeeDee

PowerScore before Testmasters?

Postby JayTeeDee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 am

Would it be a good idea to go through the PowerScore Bibles before I start my Testmasters course on Aug 1st? Or would it hurt me for the October test?

vincanity1

Re: PowerScore before Testmasters?

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 am

I did the LG and LR bibles at a roughly 3 week each pace before my testmasters course. I thought it gave me a huge leg up and made many of the early lessons come much easier, leaving me free to focus on caveats and nuances that really helped in the long run. My cold diag was a 162 on December 29, started the LG bible roughly Jan 15, got a 173 in June.

JayTeeDee

Postby JayTeeDee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 am

Did you get through all of both books? And did you go in order or did you go through chapter based on the Testmasters course schedule?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

It's usually best to start a course as a blank slate. The courses are designed to teach you everything you need. However, from what I've heard, the PS and TM methods are pretty similar, so it shouldn't be a big deal one way or the other. If your class used a significantly different method from that in the bibles (like the Princeton Review does), I'd stay away from any pre-course prepping.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm

EarlCat wrote:It's usually best to start a course as a blank slate.

I have to second this, mainly because it gets annoying when I'm trying to work with someone in my class who is trying to apply a different method (sometimes radically different). I would go in with a blank slate. While I say it because it's annoying, it's also detrimental to a student who is trying to initially pick up the concepts to have to deal with two different languages. It's akin to an English speaker trying to learn math, Portuguese, and Spanish simultaneously by taking two math classes taught in those languages.

That being said, I think that there can be a benefit to using another book to supplement a course. Not so much because it'll teach you something new (if you're in a good course, it won't, because the course will be comprehensive). Rather, because all the courses are teaching you tools with which to understand the same underlying concepts. If you can look at two methods and see how they both are derived to deal with the same issue, you're at a point of understanding the LSAT on a deeper level than just "Must Be True question - I do step 1, then 2, then 3, then answer it." If you're struggling your way out of the 150s, then I'd skip trying this because you're not at the point yet where the inherent logic of the LSAT is making sense to you. However, if you're in the high 160s/low 170s looking for that extra push, trying to decode the LSAT this way (almost reverse engineering) might get you to that point.

zozin

Postby zozin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:02 pm

As someone who went through the Bibles then took a TM course online, I would have preferred a blank slate. All I was able to get from TM was the test material divided into practice sections, I tried learning their methodology, but I usually just defaulted to PS. Even though they're pretty damn similar, if you have a good instructor, coming in without any prior knowledge will probably be beneficial. If after the TM course you're still struggling or aren't scoring where you want, try other systems to see what works best for you.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 pm

JayTeeDee wrote:Did you get through all of both books? And did you go in order or did you go through chapter based on the Testmasters course schedule?

Looks like I'm in the minority, lol. Anyways, I went in order starting with the LG bible. I didn't do any of the games timed (I did plenty of game timing with TM). It was more about getting a fundamental grasp on the games. I finished the LG book in 2.5 weeks or so at a super leisurely pace.

As for the LR, it took a little longer but still took less than a month at a very chill pace.

I understand why these other people have different feelings about going in with prior info, but take it from someone whose roommate decided to start fresh and only started picking his score up, despite a ton of effort, the weekend before. He's now stuck taking it again and dealing with his subpar first score. IMHO, he would've beaten his score by at least 4-8 pts if he would have copied my approach with the same time frame. Now, the second you feel that you're cramming the bibles, it ceases to be as helpful. They're something to digest slowly. The course will go 1000 miles an hour, though. Be ready.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”