Is diagramming logic games supposed to be this difficult?

Is diagramming logic games supposed to be this difficult?

Postby ignoramus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:13 am

I just started a powerscore class and we've only covered one type of logic game so far-- pure sequencing. Which apparently is supposed to be the easiest type, so I feel stupid. Some of the pure sequencing diagrams are easy enough for me, but when we get into the ones where certain variables link to some and not others and you have a billion different branches, it gets confusing. A certain LG from December 2005 involving harvesting fields (I hope that doesn't overstep the limits to posting questions) was really complicated for me, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to diagram it. So I finally looked at the solution in my class book and STILL didn't understand what they did. And obviously, if you can't diagram it, you're basically screwed for that entire LG. And the methods that we use for solving the LGs once we do have the diagram done seem to mostly be process of elimination of the wrong answers, but it takes forever to do that and it feels like I'm wasting precious time.

So I guess my question is, does diagramming just get easier with practice or should you already be able to do it perfectly once you learn the methods? And are the diagramming methods for the other types of games a lot harder? I thought LG was supposed to be completely learnable but this doesn't seem to be starting off well for me.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Is diagramming logic games supposed to be this difficult?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:25 am

Everything gets easier with practice, and diagramming is no different. On the pure sequencing diagrams, don't be afraid to break it up a bit. When the relationships between the variables gets real crazy, you might have to separate things into 2 or even 3 chains. It may not be the best way to do it, but the important thing right now is that you start to write out the relationships between variables. You shouldn't be too worried about time right now, so just make sure you write the diagram out in a way that helps you answer the questions. That said, the more practice you get, the easier it will become to see some of those relationships and diagram them in one long chain with ease.

Postby glucose101 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 am

Agreed. The more times you diagram, the more times you do a certain game (which's why pithypike suggests each game at least 3 times each), the easier and more innate the process becomes. You not only diagram quicker, but the deductions come flooding in. That doesn't mean the situations are exactly the same, but you can handle novel situations based on things you've done in the past.

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 am

Don't stress OP, you are at the very beginning of learning the basic building blocks of the test. It's confusing and overwhelming for everyone at the very start when tons of new unfamiliar stuff is thrown at you really fast.

Get the basics down one step at a time and don't expect to be a master of all of it immediately, getting good at the LSAT doesn't work that way, it takes steps and building blocks. Focus on making sure you are clear about the diagramming conventions and what types of logical relationships they represent and then practice doing set-ups and questions to ingrain the diagramming methods and question solving strategies. Don't worry about the more advanced stuff yet. The class is broken down into many different lessons held over many weeks for a reason.

Until you get the starting out basics down, some of the comments/descriptions you'll hear and read in this thread and others may not make sense until you learn what people are talking about and get familiar with 'LSAT prep vocabulary'.

If you are not sure what somebody is talking about with whatever terminology they use (this especially applies to the instructor of your class), ask questions for clarification as you progress.

Postby WhoIsDonDraper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 am

Keep at it. Echoing everything that's been said, they will for sure get easier. The one thing I didn't like about the bible is sometimes it makes you feel that if you don't get some of the extravagant deductions you won't do well on the games. The more experience you gain, the greater appreciation you will have for when you really need to sit and take some more time to figure out an "unlocking" deduction or just move on to the answers. It's a balancing act that comes with time.

Postby dsosah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:35 am

Hello, I just started getting into this games too, I am studying on my own with the Logic Games Bible.
Maybe you can take a look at the book and see if it makes it easier for you to learn. I have found it extremely helpful because it takes you step by step into each kind of game. It teaches you how to understand their language, and it explains thoroughly how to diagram, which I think is the hardest part. You can find the oldest version of the Bibles in the website for free. I'm just beginning and I'm really freaked out because of how long it takes me to diagram a game, I hope I get better with practice but I really feel that the book does a good job explaining, it also gives you practice-drills and mini games to help you get familiarized with each part.

Good Luck!

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 am

Check out this Pure Sequencing method:

Much better than the PowerScore Method. It's more fluid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”