LSAC Fee waiver: should I bother? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AlabamaIceman

New

LSAC Fee waiver: should I bother?

Post by AlabamaIceman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I certainly feel poor enough, my checking and savings balances add up together to barely be above 4 digits. I've paid for and taken the LSAT already before I even knew of the LSAC waiver option, but now that I'm staring another fee in the face plus the possibility of the fees per each school and CAS and such, I'd love to get the waiver if possible.

While my income is nil right now, my parents income is pretty high (considered upper middle-class, probably), but they are putting two of my other siblings through school right now as well.

Should I bother applying for it? What all will it cover anyway?

caminante

Bronze

Re: LSAC Fee waiver: should I bother?

Post by caminante » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Do your parents still claim you as a dependent? If they do, you really shouldn't waste your time.

Someone else who posted on here was not claimed as a dependent, made about $12,000/year, and still had to appeal LSAC's denial because they had a little bit of money in savings.

smears

New

Post by smears » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 pm

I made 19k working in a restaurant, but no one can claim me and I got the waiver. All they can do is tell you no OP. Give it a shot. One tip I might suggest would be to fill out the app the day after you pay all your bills. Maybe even the day after your vacation. That way you wont have as much cash on hand.

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:01 pm

I am a dependent though. So that's a "don't bother" then?

jln04a

New

Post by jln04a » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 pm

The waiver is based off tax returns and bank accounts. Maybe investment accounts but I don't remember.

If someone claims you on their tax return, then you would likely have to use that.

I applied for a waiver on a year didn't have to file taxes which makes it a little different. I didn't have to submit proof of bank statements though I was of course completely honest. It's not hard to be when my bank account had less than $200.

I would apply just to see if I were you OP.

It covers 2 tests, the CAS fees and many schools will also waive the application fee if you have an LSAC waiver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:I am a dependent though. So that's a "don't bother" then?
that would depend on your parents' income. I have a few friends who were successful - one whose mom made very little, the other whose parents made like 60k combined and both people made 30k themselves. I feel like LSAC does a little random magic with fee waivers and there's no harm in trying.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
AlabamaIceman wrote:I am a dependent though. So that's a "don't bother" then?
that would depend on your parents' income. I have a few friends who were successful - one whose mom made very little, the other whose parents made like 60k combined and both people made 30k themselves. I feel like LSAC does a little random magic with fee waivers and there's no harm in trying.
Well, he said they were upper middle class so he's probably out of luck. I got one when my parents were claiming me, but they had like 50k combined and I went straight through, so no real income of my own. Can't hurt to apply though, OP. Iirc the application is free, and the worst they'll do is say no. Just, you should expect that no.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 pm

don't bother. i'm a dependent that makes no money and has a single parent that makes no money and was denied. i'm talking like, she made ~17k that year and i made ~5k and i was denied. Kinda weird considering my fafsa EFC is 0, but yeah. seems nearly impossible to get the fee waiver as a dependent.

edit: i was denied, and filed a letter of appeal. i explained all the life circumstances which exacerbate my own and my single parent's low incomes and why we can't afford much of the application process. they denied my appeal too.

smears

New

Post by smears » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:29 pm

That's crazy. I thought that was the easiest thing ever. I just sent in a copy of my tax return and got it no problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm

smears wrote:That's crazy. I thought that was the easiest thing ever. I just sent in a copy of my tax return and got it no problem.
are you a dependent?

smears

New

Post by smears » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Nope.

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Bump.

I'm in the same situation.

Parents make good money, but a large mortgage debt hangs over them like a specter, so forget help on that front.

I have about 3,000 in savings, but all that goes to tuition to make up for what I don't get from anywhere else.

I'm a dependent with savings and a middle class income bracket. No LSAC Fee waiver for me, right?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 pm

NiccoloA wrote:Bump.

I'm in the same situation.

Parents make good money, but a large mortgage debt hangs over them like a specter, so forget help on that front.

I have about 3,000 in savings, but all that goes to tuition to make up for what I don't get from anywhere else.

I'm a dependent with savings and a middle class income bracket. No LSAC Fee waiver for me, right?
hell no. but, i can't tell you to not at least try.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”