Critique My Study Schedule

Dash41

Critique My Study Schedule

Postby Dash41 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I've just recently decided I want to take the LSAT in October. After much browsing on TLS, I bought what I thought was the appropriate materials and came up with a study schedule. I leave for Europe on July 9 and won't come back until July 21, so my study schedule doesn't start until July 22.

With that in mind, I was wondering do you think it'd be a good idea to read through all my study guides (LGB, LRB, MLSAT Reading Guide) this week before I leave? I'd just read through them and do the drills in the books. After I came back, I would again read the appropriate chapter corresponding to what I was working on before I began my pithypike method of studying. Do you think doing this would help me get a solid understanding of what I was dealing with, so that way when I came back and truly began I would have a level of familiarity? Or am I wasting my time by doing this, and should I have just started my practice earlier, accepting the 12 day break in between?

Daily Schedule from July 22 - August 31

LG: 6 games a day (Doing this I'd get through 30 practice tests from the 10 Actual Books at the end and do each game twice)
LR: 12 questions from Kaplan Mastery
RC: 1 Section every other day, review the section on the off day

Daily Schedule from September 1 - September 31

Practice Test every other day, review the test on the off day

As you can see I'm going somewhat hard from July 22 on. As of now I haven't taken a practice test. I'm considering reading through the bibles and taking a practice test the day before I leave so I have a baseline of where I'm at when I come back. I don't want to take a PT completely cold as to avoid bad habits. I don't really care about a diagnostic that much though.

Any advice or suggestions on altering this plan is much appreciated. If anyone is curious on how I split up the logic games for my studying I have a word document for it. Thanks.

spek

Re: Critique My Study Schedule

Postby spek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:34 pm

You may not be able to finish all those study guides in one week, esp. if you're reading through them thoroughly and doing the drills properly. It might be better to break the books up and do the appropriate chapters when you work on certain question types. That way you won't be rushing to get through the books and you can make full use of them. If you'd like something to do before you leave you can start skimming the books to get a general sense of the info and techniques--but if you're hoping to do a more detailed read I don't think 1 week is enough (I could be wrong though, basing this on personal experience).

Your plan for after you return from you trip seems to me like a recipe for burn out. Your pre-September schedule could work just fine. Just be aware that there will be days when you'll want/need a break and that might throw off your timetable a little bit. Your September schedule, however, seems really stressful and I don't know how effective that will be. Your brain will need breaks and time to unwind...doing tests every other day and reviewing on the offdays could be really tiring.

Maybe check out the October study group for more answers and to see how other people are studying. Good luck!
Last edited by spek on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks for the response. I started reading through the guide books today, and I get a sense of what you mean. I read through the logic games bible first because that seemed like the area where I would improve the most. I got all the way through chapter 2 and learning about basic linear games, but felt a little burned out after reading that section nonstop. I have a good sense of how to do basic linear games now though.

I started to read the LRB, and I feel like that will be a better read to get an overall understanding. I think I'm naturally better with LR anyway. I plan on going back and reading the main points for the LRB and then attacking the questions in Kaplan Mastery when I return from my trip.

For logic games I was planning on going back and rereading each section before I attacked that specific game type, but was hoping to gain a more basic understanding while reading before I left on my trip. I think I can finish the LRB and the MLSAT Reading Guide before my trip at the very least though.

I think the pre September plan I can stick to, especially because school won't start until late August. That September plan was me trying to get in as many practice tests as possible because I want the practice. Although with school we'll see how that will turn out. I think I'll have a better idea of where I'm at in September and I can adjust accordingly. I've read about people taking 5 practice tests in a row or tests back to back, so it could be worse I suppose. Thanks again.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 pm

IMO your pre-sept plan is too light (keep your games schedule, up your LR and RC) and your Sept plan is WAY too heavy. A test every other day for a whole month (and reviews on the off days) is setting yourself up for massive burnout.

I was on a somewhat similar plan starting 3 weeks before June. After about a week and a half I was seriously burned out and could not gain even a single point on my PT's. Took a 12 day break. Scored 3 points higher than I ever had 2 days before the test. Didn't think about LSAT for the remaining 2 days and scored 2 points higher than that PT on gameday. Rest is KEY. I literally jumped 5 points from doing nothing.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 pm

You should do a full PT every day, and read LG & LR bibles cover to cover a few times.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:00 pm

RareAir wrote:IMO your pre-sept plan is too light (keep your games schedule, up your LR and RC) and your Sept plan is WAY too heavy. A test every other day for a whole month (and reviews on the off days) is setting yourself up for massive burnout.

I was on a somewhat similar plan starting 3 weeks before June. After about a week and a half I was seriously burned out and could not gain even a single point on my PT's. Took a 12 day break. Scored 3 points higher than I ever had 2 days before the test. Didn't think about LSAT for the remaining 2 days and scored 2 points higher than that PT on gameday. Rest is KEY. I literally jumped 5 points from doing nothing.

Thanks for the advice. How would you suggest I alter the the RC and LR? Should I do more RC sections? I will at least have 30 total RC sections from the practice tests I have. I'm going to buy The 10 New, Actual Official LSAT PrepTests book for PT 52-61. I figure those ten would be for my September plan. On the LR I supposed I could throw in some timed sections every few days from PT 7-38. I guess the only problem with that is I might encounter questions I have already done through Kaplan Mastery.

How would suggest I change up the September plan?

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Verity wrote:You should do a full PT every day, and read LG & LR bibles cover to cover a few times.

When would you suggest I do that? I should be getting close to finishing the LR bible after today.

RareAir

Postby RareAir » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Dash41 wrote:
RareAir wrote:IMO your pre-sept plan is too light (keep your games schedule, up your LR and RC) and your Sept plan is WAY too heavy. A test every other day for a whole month (and reviews on the off days) is setting yourself up for massive burnout.

Thanks for the advice. How would you suggest I alter the the RC and LR? Should I do more RC sections? I will at least have 30 total RC sections from the practice tests I have. I'm going to buy The 10 New, Actual Official LSAT PrepTests book for PT 52-61. I figure those ten would be for my September plan. On the LR I supposed I could throw in some timed sections every few days from PT 7-38. I guess the only problem with that is I might encounter questions I have already done through Kaplan Mastery.

How would suggest I change up the September plan?

Pre-sept I would be doing at least one section of LR and one section of RC everyday (with 1-2 day rest periods when needed). Would only take another hour or so on top of what you have. Reviewing LR with powerscore bible in hand. Also I would suggest taking 1 PT a week to track your progress.

For September I would save your most recent 10 tests and do those over the whole month. Day 1 - test/very light review immediately after. Day 2 - review w/all guidebooks. Day 3 relax.

Take this fwiw, I am far from a LSAT master. If you feel it's working, stick with it. If you feel it's not, try something else. It's all about YOU and how YOU study/grasp/master the material.

Repeat questions won't affect you too too much. Just try to avoid repeat questions within a few days. If you see a question that is the same question you saw a month before you'll still likely need to somewhat work through it. If not, still not a big deal, just make damn sure you don't miss it after already seeing it haha.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Dash41 wrote:
Verity wrote:You should do a full PT every day, and read LG & LR bibles cover to cover a few times.

When would you suggest I do that? I should be getting close to finishing the LR bible after today.

After you read it one more time.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Verity wrote:
Dash41 wrote:

So you would ignore the pithypike method and just do practice tests?

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Dash41 wrote:
Verity wrote:
Dash41 wrote:

So you would ignore the pithypike method and just do practice tests?

I would, but it's your schedule.

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:05 pm

^That was fucking golden.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 pm

RareAir wrote:IMO your pre-sept plan is too light (keep your games schedule, up your LR and RC) and your Sept plan is WAY too heavy.

This. I would definitely up the LR to 25-30 Qs (better if you can split them by question type rather than by section) and up RC time permitting. Be prepared to alter this as you discover your strengths and weaknesses, of course.

I'd also push this phase further into September (or mix it with a lighter version of your sept plan, like 1 or 2 tests a week) and make sure you're redoing stuff. There really is a pattern to all of this, and the patterns are easier to pick up on when you're going back through familiar material. Churning and burning prep tests is overrated. If your overall pacing on timed tests is good, focus on the slower practice to up your accuracy.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 pm

EarlCat wrote:
RareAir wrote:IMO your pre-sept plan is too light (keep your games schedule, up your LR and RC) and your Sept plan is WAY too heavy.

This. I would definitely up the LR to 25-30 Qs (better if you can split them by question type rather than by section) and up RC time permitting. Be prepared to alter this as you discover your strengths and weaknesses, of course.

I'd also push this phase further into September (or mix it with a lighter version of your sept plan, like 1 or 2 tests a week) and make sure you're redoing stuff. There really is a pattern to all of this, and the patterns are easier to pick up on when you're going back through familiar material. Churning and burning prep tests is overrated. If your overall pacing on timed tests is good, focus on the slower practice to up your accuracy.

Thanks for the help. I have the Kaplan Mastery book so I'll just hammer down 25-30 questions a day by type using that.

Should I include some questions from some of the newer tests into my pithypike-like prep then? (Such as the early 50's preptests)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Dash41 wrote:Should I include some questions from some of the newer tests into my pithypike-like prep then? (Such as the early 50's preptests)

Some people are really hardcore about making sure they're using the latest questions. I kinda feel like logic is logic, and the test hasn't changed that much so it doesn't matter terribly much which questions you use. Games is probably the most important to have at least have gone through some of the more recent ones, as that's the section that's changed most dramatically. In RC they added the split passages a few years ago, but in practice they're not really that much different.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”