re-doing problems to death... diminishing returns?

clouds101

re-doing problems to death... diminishing returns?

Postby clouds101 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:59 pm

So my plan is to re-do RC, LR, and LG questions from Preptests 1-20 using the Traciela books about 3-4 times. I know repetition is largely endorsed by TLS members, but have others found it more it more effective to just do a problem once or twice, review it in-depth, and then move onto other problems? Or is re-doing the same questions from the same PTs the better option?

Thoughts?

soj

Re: re-doing problems to death... diminishing returns?

Postby soj » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:37 pm

clouds101 wrote:So my plan is to re-do RC, LR, and LG questions from Preptests 1-20 using the Traciela books about 3-4 times. I know repetition is largely endorsed by TLS members, but have others found it more it more effective to just do a problem once or twice, review it in-depth, and then move onto other problems? Or is re-doing the same questions from the same PTs the better option?

Thoughts?

do both

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:39 pm

With the thousands of questions released since 1991 I don't know why someone would have to go back over questions 3 and 4 times.

avamango

Postby avamango » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re-doing problems is hardly sufficient for proper preparation. You have to keep shocking your system with new stimuli until you're desensitized to the novelty of a problem you haven't seen before. That being said, I still believe there's value in looking over past problems. Just make sure that's not your sole (or even main) method of reviewing.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:With the thousands of questions released since 1991 I don't know why someone would have to go back over questions 3 and 4 times.

For real. For my prep I did the 30 most recent PTs and increased 21 points on test day from my diagnostic. If you want to go really crazy, start from the beginning and do all 60 some PTs and all three bibles, but why the hell would you do the same problem more than once?

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:With the thousands of questions released since 1991 I don't know why someone would have to go back over questions 3 and 4 times.

For real. For my prep I did the 30 most recent PTs and increased 21 points on test day from my diagnostic. If you want to go really crazy, start from the beginning and do all 60 some PTs and all three bibles, but why the hell would you do the same problem more than once?

Aside from the 30 recent PTs, what did you do to get a 21pt increase? And what was your final score?

clouds101

Postby clouds101 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:46 am

TMC116 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

Aside from the 30 recent PTs, what did you do to get a 21pt increase? And what was your final score?

I'm curious as well. I do plan on using the 30 most recent PTs as full-length practice tests under timed conditions. My reasoning for using just PT 1-20 for drilling is that I didn't want to overlap questions since I tend to remember the right answer.

I found in my previous prep that charging through all the preptests (I used Kaplan's Mastery book) resulted in somewhat inflated test scores since I had already seen them. I wanted to see if others had experienced the same issue and were doing things differently.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:43 am

There are no jobs. The ones that are left pay next to nothing and only the top students from the T6 schools get biglaw. Run away.

david.patel

Postby david.patel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 am

Redoing (once) just the RC and LR I got wrong or guessed on was sufficient for me. Redoing every LG as many times as it took me to finish the game in under 8 minutes GREATLY helped me in the logic games section.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:37 pm

clouds101 wrote:
TMC116 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

I'm curious as well. I do plan on using the 30 most recent PTs as full-length practice tests under timed conditions. My reasoning for using just PT 1-20 for drilling is that I didn't want to overlap questions since I tend to remember the right answer.

I found in my previous prep that charging through all the preptests (I used Kaplan's Mastery book) resulted in somewhat inflated test scores since I had already seen them. I wanted to see if others had experienced the same issue and were doing things differently.

So I had a kinda different study prep from most people I think. I would go through LR Bible and then do the first 20 sections of LR I had (first 10 tests I had). Then LG Bible and then do the first 10 sections. Then I read the reading section Nova Master the LSAT and did the 10 sections (though I haven't seen it, I'd bet the RC Bible is better, I only used the Nova since it was free).

I wouldn't worry about time very much the first 10 tests.

Most important thing to do: know why every answer is right and why you chose the wrong answer on those you got wrong.

btw, I went from 147 to 168.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Most important thing to do: know why every answer is right and why you chose the wrong answer on those you got wrong.

Definitely. Also, I recommend redoing only questions you got wrong or felt unsure about, or sections in which your timing was way off.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm

soj wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Most important thing to do: know why every answer is right and why you chose the wrong answer on those you got wrong.

Definitely. Also, I recommend redoing only questions you got wrong or felt unsure about, or sections in which your timing was way off.

+1, though the important thing isn't to re-do the problem, just review it until you understand it. I don't think you'd need to review an entire section if you go over time, just make a note next to the questions where you spend way too much time and review those.

Also, just as a heads up to those prepping, starting from 147, I didn't hit 160 until the 11th or 12th PT (and the bibles). The first bunch of PTs is going to take you the longest to take and to review. It will be the bane of your existence. Later on, RC will be the bane of your existence (uniformly the hardest to improve).

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Because underlying patterns are easier to see in familiar questions than in unfamiliar ones. It's the same reason aspiring musicians play the same songs multiple times despite the availability of thousands of other songs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”