Formal Logic on LR

Luthecis

Formal Logic on LR

Postby Luthecis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Would you guys say that formal logic is an important concept on the LR section that shouldn't be overlooked?

Jeffort

Re: Formal Logic on LR

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Yes, it's important, they test you on it. Learn it, live it, love it.

avamango

Postby avamango » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Luthecis wrote:Would you guys say that formal logic is an important concept on the LR section that shouldn't be overlooked?

Troll?

Luthecis

Postby Luthecis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Not trolling...because the LR bible said that formal logic is barely touched upon on the LR section (1-3 questions,) I was just wondering if good knowledge on the formal logic questions would help my LR score.

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:38 am

it depends on what kind of score you want. If your serious about getting a high score study it it's not that hard to learn. It comes up on every test a few times.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:45 am

It doesn't come up a ton. But if you are really good with formal logic, then the questions are usually pretty easy. Once you know how to diagram them, they're all a breeze and are good for a 2-3 points on your score.

On a side note, that section of the Bible was one of the few that I thought was really helpful for the LR section.

avamango

Postby avamango » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 am

Luthecis wrote:Not trolling...because the LR bible said that formal logic is barely touched upon on the LR section (1-3 questions,) I was just wondering if good knowledge on the formal logic questions would help my LR score.

Your understanding of formal logic may not be exclusively tested on large numbers of LR questions but a solid foundation of logic theory is invaluable in acing the LSAT. If you can understand formal logic, you can readily break most questions down into their most "algorithmic" form and look at them from that perspective. In other words, formal logic is what allows you to take word problems and essentially turn them into math problems. This is one of the key strategies behind moving through LR with speed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”