Does practicing under "proper conditions" really help? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Does practicing under "proper conditions" really help?

Yes, everyone should do it.
88%
Yes, but only for those prone to test day issues.
4%
No, it's all about confidence, etc.
7%

Total votes: 69

cmckid

New

Re: Does practicing under "proper conditions" really help?

Post by cmckid » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Yes- but I actually advocate doing 8 straight sections 3 times in the two weeks before the test- that really kicks the crap out of the fatigue factor when you take it for real.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks everybody for all your input! There are some great insights here that will help me tailor my study plan just right.

Since quite a few people scored a point or two below their practice scores, do you guys have suggestions on how to minimize that? Or, at least, an identification of what tripped you up? In my situation, a point or two can make a big difference. Getting good sleep is a common answer, but what are some others?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:32 pm

northwood wrote:to be fair a lot of posters on here have experienced a slight drop from their pt score average to what they got on the actual day.( like 1-3 points)
My test score was my second highest ever.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

I would advise you to:

1. Do everything timed.
2. Do at least a few exams with 5 sections in library type conditions, but it's unnecessary to do them all that way unless you notice a clear difference (in scores) between when you do 4 and 5 sections. Once you've done enough exams you should be used to them enough to not be bothered by the extra section. Then again, I did all sorts of things like, doing 4 sections consecutively without a break. Ultimately it comes down to how much time you can block off into your schedule to do an exam.
3. Ignore the practice writing sections.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:41 pm

northwood wrote:to be fair a lot of posters on here have experienced a slight drop from their pt score average to what they got on the actual day.( like 1-3 points)
My actual score was 3 points higher than my PT average, and only 2 points off my highest PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
DamnLSAT wrote:I would take 5 section practice tests on a variety of desks and in a variety of environments. I scouted my testing area (at the local University) and saw full table desks. Come test day, though, I was in a basement room with desks the size of a closed test booklet - No joke.

This definitely threw me for a loop and it took at least one section for me to figure out where to put my book and answer sheet. This is probably an extreme example, but it sucked. I'm not blaming it for my test score, but it certainly was a factor.
Will LSAC still allow us to bring in a board to supplement a tiny desk?
Ha, dream on. In fact, if I were you I would research the test center before registering there. The nature of a test center can have a really big impact on your performance. Register at a test center with ample desk space. Shitty desk space can really distract and cut your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”