Should I take a class for a third retake?

leche

Should I take a class for a third retake?

Postby leche » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 am

I am contemplating, although I really, REALLY don't want to do it, taking the LSAT a third time after my double 159's. Because the second time I thought I addressed all the mistakes I made my first time, I don't know what else I can change in my study habits. Both times I self-prepped with the PS Bibles, second time with Manhattan as well. In the process of both tries, I've gone through about 30 PTs (all the Actual, Official books). Second time around my PT average was just above a 169.

Just wondering if anyone thought enrolling in some kind of LSAT prep course would help. I'm guessing not, as a few people I've talked to have said they're better for beginners, and at this point I feel like a pro...just a pro with a really awful record.

NYCLSATTutor

Re: Should I take a class for a third retake?

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 am

If you are PT'ing 10 points more than your actual test, it is probably psychological factors. Anxiety perhaps. A prep-test company likely won't help with that, find someone who can help you with the psychological factors on the test.

MrEssex

Postby MrEssex » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am

Leche, I feel you man. I've had the exact same issue with test day anxiety slowing me down and completely throwing me off my game. I've taken the LSAT twice and both times I've scored 8-10 pts below my practice test average. I'm currently trying to design a plan to address this but having little luck so far.

We should bounce some ideas off each other.

leche

Postby leche » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:A prep-test company likely won't help with that

Kind of what I figured. And I think I maybe have some test anxiety, but no worse than the average person. I felt pretty focused for June, and walked out fairly confident. I'm not sure I'll be able to control my emotions and take the pressure off myself if I take it a third time, knowing it's my last shot. Anyone have suggestions?

Or, does anyone have suggestions for studying differently? I did notice towards the end of my June prep that I was making a lot of dumb mistakes (mostly LR and RC, but it was inconsistent - usually if I did horrible in one section I'd make up for it somewhere else). I wrote out justifications for why wrong answers were wrong and why correct answers were correct, but the majority of my mistakes were due to misreading or making silly assumptions. How can I fix that?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:12 pm

It's not always anxiety that gets you - sometimes it's that adrenaline rush, making you feel invincible. You feel great, but you're overconfident and don't read carefully enough because you 'know' the answer after a quick glance. Not saying that's happening here, but it seems to me as well that you're having test day issues that a class wouldn't necessarily help with. It's not just feeling awful on test day that can negatively affect your score, and 10 points under your PT average definitely raises some flags.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm

leche wrote:
NYCLSATTutor wrote:A prep-test company likely won't help with that

Kind of what I figured. And I think I maybe have some test anxiety, but no worse than the average person. I felt pretty focused for June, and walked out fairly confident. I'm not sure I'll be able to control my emotions and take the pressure off myself if I take it a third time, knowing it's my last shot. Anyone have suggestions?

Or, does anyone have suggestions for studying differently? I did notice towards the end of my June prep that I was making a lot of dumb mistakes (mostly LR and RC, but it was inconsistent - usually if I did horrible in one section I'd make up for it somewhere else). I wrote out justifications for why wrong answers were wrong and why correct answers were correct, but the majority of my mistakes were due to misreading or making silly assumptions. How can I fix that?

Since you have identified that your main problem/source of mistakes on test day is careless reading and faulty assumptions, you need to work on that. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to read much more critically and carefully. Perhaps you are reading the materials too fast/kind of speed reading on test day in order to finish sections within time? Reading too fast is a common cause of reading errors and misinterpretations of the material presented.

Do you find yourself reading through the arguments really fast to get to the answer choices? And if so do you find that you sometimes have to go back and re-read the stimulus after reading the answer choices? Do you find yourself spending a lot of time debating between the answer choices after having raced through the stimulus to get to them quickly?

If any of that rings a bell, SLOW DOWN your reading pace and force yourself to consciously think about what you read much more carefully and critically so that it sinks in properly, which makes you better prepared to sort through the answer choices more quickly and less likely to make careless mistakes. In other words, since you know you are giving up many points because of misreading things, have that on your mind while taking the test so that you are proactively and consciously making sure it doesn't happen again.

leche

Postby leche » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:13 am

Man, just when I start to think it will be ok to settle for 30-50 instead of 10-25 I come back on here, see everyone's input, and think I can do the LSAT again.

Thanks (I think?) for the advice, haha.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”