Start timing on PT or later?

Luthecis

Start timing on PT or later?

Postby Luthecis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I've started my prep for the October LSAT, and one of the preps I've been doing is taking a PT every three days. Should I start timing myself with 35 minutes per section or just try to get a high score, then work on timing in the later PTs?

Thanks!

thelong

Re: Start timing on PT or later?

Postby thelong » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Timing is crucial, so I'd start timing now. If nothing else, time your PT and see how close to the mark you land in each section. This will give you an idea of where you need to pick up the pace and you can start working on being quicker while maintaining accuracy.

That being said, if you're not yet familiar with the game then it might be best to first go through a couple of practice tests aiming mainly for accuracy and worry about timing once you're familiar with the test.

tl;dr Start timing yourself as soon as you are familiar with the test and are reasonably accurate. If you start seeing a huge drop in accuracy when timing evaluate the cause.

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm

I would personally not start timing yet if you've just started your prep. Just try to understand the concepts as comprehensively as you can. When you take the tests monitor your time and note what is taking you longer than it should, but don't rush yourself just yet. Once you really feel comfortable with the test, start constricting yourself to shorter and shorter times.

Full disclaimer:
This is just my preference and what I've heard from LSAT instructors. I haven't taken the LSAT yet and am still prepping myself!

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Do not start timing if the LSAT material is still 'fresh' to you. You should spend time developing the skills necessary for a good score before timing. Once you feel comfortable with the idea of a 'timed-PT', then you should begin doing it. As other posters have said, timing is VERY "crucial".

Also, once you do begin taking timed tests, consider doing 30min or even 33min sections. Trust me lol.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Accuracy before speed. Make sure you're hitting where you want to be (or above) with extra time, and then figure out tricks to get faster. It's a lot easier to cut corners when you understand what's going on completely.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Once you're comfortable with the question types and the format of the test begin timing yourself. even with individual sections and try to get down to the 1:1 ratio for the first 15 questions on LR. After that, try giving yourself only 34,33,32,31,31 mins a section to really push yourself. Do not underestimate what nerves and adrenaline can do on test day. The first time I took the test, it took me at least 10 mins during LR1 to focus because of the rush. Practicing with less time than you have is a great insurance policy just in case something happens.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”