URM and the LSAT Observations Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ben4847

Silver

Re: URM and the LSAT Observations

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm

charliep wrote:
ben4847 wrote:
charliep wrote:all of these comments seem to presuppose URM's get a boost because they are expected to do poorly on LSAT. I thought it was clear the reason for the boost is the added diversity to the classroom setting URM's provide. so, in my opinion, whether or not the test is biased towards a specific group, that has nothing to do with the URM boost, which is given for the purposes of enriching classroom discussion and the overall education of the entire class
You really thought that?
Or you really thought it was the polite thing to say, and you really thought I would believe it.
what incentive would they have otherwise?
It is to make up for mistreating them, or to make up for their having less opportunity.

But, still I'd like to know: You really thought that? And you just thought it was by accident that Pacific Islanders don't get a boost despite having all sorts of great experiences to add to the conversation.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

You guys are getting close to the point at which conversations on affirmative action are not allowed on TLS. Just FYI, before a mod threatens to give you a temp ban.

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You guys are getting close to the point at which conversations on affirmative action are not allowed on TLS. Just FYI, before a mod threatens to give you a temp ban.
Yes, I was told that all discussions of the merits of racial discrimination where to be discussed in the off-topics forum. There is a thread there about this already. Debate your hearts out!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You guys are getting close to the point at which conversations on affirmative action are not allowed on TLS. Just FYI, before a mod threatens to give you a temp ban.
Yes, I thought this whole thread was off limits, but I figured it must be a safe harbor since it is 10 pages long

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Just to clarify:

As demonstrated by the first nine pages of the thread, discussions about how URMs perform on the LSAT are not necessarily synonymous with affirmative action. Please just be cognizant of such a difference.

We encourage any and all substantive debate on TLS; we simply ask that you remain respectful and reasonably sensitive to topics involving race.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 am

+9

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”