For those of you who are struggling...

DubP5

For those of you who are struggling...

Postby DubP5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 am

This is my first post on the board, yet I've been following for the past year and it has been an extremely helpful website. Just thought I'd share my story for those of you who are having a difficult time with the test, or can't bare to take another re-take. Hopefully this can encourage at least one person to stick with it. I'll try to be short and to the point.
I studied my ass off for about 7 months. I took my first diagnostic last summer, and scored an abysmal 140. I have always been a good student, never doubting my abilities, but seeing the score was quite depressing and I got the feeling of "can I succeed on this damn test?" I took a Powerscore course, which I highly recommend (thanks TLS). WHile working full-time, I studied every night several hours a day from August until the December LSAT. I was consistently scoring in the low 160's and was hoping to crack 163 on test day. Needless to say, I ended up with a 155. I was devastated; I couldn't believe how poorly I had done, and really felt as if maybe law school wasn't the right decision. After taking a few weeks off, I decided to give it another shot.
I once again, self studied pretty much every single day from mid-Feb until the June LSAT. I would study 6 days a week (followed the Pithy-Pike LSAT guide, which I HIGHLY recommend), basically putting everything else outside of work on the back burner. Needless to say, after all of the long hours in the cubicle after work, I ended up with a 164 in June. I am not a good standardized test taker, and am proof that, with consistent/effective study habits, anyone can do well on this test. I know on this board a 164 isn't anything special, but I know that some people doubt their abilities on this test. If you can consistently study, and study smart, I am confident the majority of people applying for law school can succeed. If you have a score you don't want, even if it is well below your goal, strap up and re-take. It is 100% worth it. Hope I didn't ramble too much, but once again thank you TLS for all of your help throughout this process.

flexityflex86

Re: For those of you who are struggling...

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 am

I really think most people who are not good standardized test takers are lazy.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 am

flexityflex86 wrote:I really think most people who are not good standardized test takers are lazy.

Coming from a good standardized test taker: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm

To the OP: Good job! And thanks for this post.

To the second dude who posted: Standardized tests really do take advantage of how much mental firepower a person has, and they do so to a much greater degree than something that tests "concrete" knowledge that can be memorized. While people can improve, they start out at different points. It is much easier to improve if you naturally earn a 170 than if you are in the OP's situation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I really think most people who are not good standardized test takers are lazy.

Coming from a good standardized test taker: :roll: :roll: :roll:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Too bad PowerScore doesn't offer a 25 point increase guarantee. :D

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 pm

I think you are using the phrase "needless to say" incorrectly. Work on that.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 pm

I appreciated DubP5's rambling post.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Daniel Tosh wrote:Don't you love it when people in school are like, "I'm a bad test taker"? You mean, you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? Oh. No, no, I can totally relate. See, because I'm a brilliant painter, minus my God-awful brushstrokes. Oh, how the masterpiece is crystal in my head, but once paint hits canvas, I develop Parkinson's.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Paraflam wrote:
Daniel Tosh wrote:Don't you love it when people in school are like, "I'm a bad test taker"? You mean, you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? Oh. No, no, I can totally relate. See, because I'm a brilliant painter, minus my God-awful brushstrokes. Oh, how the masterpiece is crystal in my head, but once paint hits canvas, I develop Parkinson's.

Love Daniel Tosh. TY for this post.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 pm

No really, this board has been such a great resource for me in the application process. If you guys are struggling esp. with the LSAT keep your head down and study your ass off...follow (or at least try to, some ppl on here are LSAT Manic) ppls study schedules and youll get there. I worked my ass off and scored more than 10 points higher than my first test. I used to think I couldnt do well on the LG section, but then I got some great advice from ppl on here and it wound up being one of my better sections on the test due to timing strategy. PPl dont pay enough attention to timing strategy, and for ppl who prob. wont break 170, timing can reallllly make the difference. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this board pushed me and helped me get into some good schools. Just because you arent getting -0's doesnt mean you cant do well on the test, you just have to know how you personally take the test so you can maximize your strengths and do some damage control with your weaknesses. Ex. for me...I did LG's in order of how many questions each game had. I knew I wasnt going to finish anyway, So I took my time, did 10 min. games, and wound up with a - 3 (guessed 2 right on the last game suckas). This saved me. Good luck to all the ppl studying this summer. This is what I told myself...It's only a year, if you devote the time now, you will be happier in the end. Sure, on a summer day, going to the beach or playing Call of Duty sounds much better than Advanced linears and RC about Bees communicating...then again actually getting a job in three years is better than living in your parents' basement playing COD against 12 y/o's trying to pick up shifts at starbucks.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 pm

...oh and there really arent ppl who are bad test takers...just ppl who dont understand the test makers...

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:47 pm

jstubbs wrote:...oh and there really arent ppl who are bad test takers...just ppl who dont understand the test makers...

This seems correct for the most part.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Paraflam wrote:

Love Daniel Tosh. TY for this post.

I remember him telling this joke in his stand up. I'm someone who would consistently score in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, and I could not understand why I kept fucking up on the LSAT so badly. I just accepted that I was stupid and felt super depressed. Then I heard this joke and laughed my ass off. It helped me deal with the pain.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
jstubbs wrote:...oh and there really arent ppl who are bad test takers...just ppl who dont understand the test makers...

This seems correct for the most part.

And it rhymes!

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:

Coming from a good standardized test taker (with the exception of my one LSAT take): :roll: :roll: :roll:

FTFM

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks for the post. I was surprised to read some of the smart ass comments above, I don't think you deserve that.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm

loomstate wrote:Thanks for the post. I was surprised to read some of the smart ass comments above, I don't think you deserve that.

You wouldnt be surprised if you spent more time here, though I would think 41 posts should about cover it.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:18 pm

One can be critical without being an asshole. Some users still have to figure that one out.

DubP5

Postby DubP5 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks for the responses, and good luck to all the future LSAT takers on here. Figured I'd get a few critical comments (don't drink and post).

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:07 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:One can be critical without being an asshole. Some users still have to figure that one out.

This is against tradition

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:One can be critical without being an asshole. Some users still have to figure that one out.

This is against tradition

:evil:

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 pm

out of all the places to be a "critical" asshole...a thread designed to encourage those struggling?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 pm

loomstate wrote:out of all the places to be a "critical" asshole...a thread designed to encourage those struggling?

Yeah. Can't we just let people share their encouraging stories instead of shutting them down?

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:31 am

Nice post.. thanks:)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”