How long did it take you to "master" LR?

notaznguy

How long did it take you to "master" LR?

Postby notaznguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm on Chapter 8 of the LR Bible and just finished the weakening questions chapter. When I did the question set at the end, I got 3 right and 3 wrong =( I know I'm still learning, but it's nevertheless discouraging to still get 50%.

Aside from just rereading the chapter and redoing the question sets and trying to understand what I did right and wrong, is there anything else I can do? I'm going to be doing more practice problems, but I'm going to wait until my prep course starts (Testmaster) so they can give me the materials.

glucose101

Re: How long did it take you to "master" LR?

Postby glucose101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 pm

I think the thing that helped me the most is drilling question types from the Orange book. It isn't like I'm getting 100% yet, but you start to notice patterns in the answers and the explanations. Vague anecdotal evidence, I know. But in doing all question types, you start to realize that certain words will in/validate answers for certain questions.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I never really mastered it. You drill and drill and drill until your average section score is in a solid range, though I would still get the occasional whiff. That's how I did it at least.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 pm

minnbills wrote:I never really mastered it. You drill and drill and drill until your average section score is in a solid range, though I would still get the occasional whiff. That's how I did it at least.

+1, you cannot expect to be a pro right after finishing a chapter (not saying you feel that way at all though). It just takes lots and lots of practice. I remember when i thought -6 per LR was pretty good; then after a drills and reviews all the time I got down into the -2 range

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I think I pretty much reached my maximum potential on LR when I was solidly getting between -2/-4 with an occasional perfect section. It took me about 6 months of work on all sections to get to that level. Granted I studied about 4 days a week for about 3 hours/day when I did study. This is kind of a silly question since everyone learns at a different pace and has different issues with different sections PLUS you are taking a course soon...this will exponentially help you out (it did for me). Why post this when you could be cracking the books? (kidding). Just keep your head down and actively study (dont just read...remember that this test will literally change your whole life). Good luck, youll get it. It's too soon to start worrying...are you taking OCT '11?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm with the above posters. There were certainly times when I was studying where I missed 2/4 or 3/6 and it is frustrating. But just keep practicing and those misses will start to decrease.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:58 pm

jstubbs wrote:I think I pretty much reached my maximum potential on LR when I was solidly getting between -2/-4 with an occasional perfect section. It took me about 6 months of work on all sections to get to that level. Granted I studied about 4 days a week for about 3 hours/day when I did study. This is kind of a silly question since everyone learns at a different pace and has different issues with different sections PLUS you are taking a course soon...this will exponentially help you out (it did for me). Why post this when you could be cracking the books? (kidding). Just keep your head down and actively study (dont just read...remember that this test will literally change your whole life). Good luck, youll get it. It's too soon to start worrying...are you taking OCT '11?

Yeah I'm taking it October 1, 2011. Dang, 6 months? I hope I can get it down to -2 or -4 in 3 months =(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”