Anyone else think that grouping games are easiest? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
caminante

Bronze

Anyone else think that grouping games are easiest?

Post by caminante » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 am

I've never posted here before, but I was curious to see if this is more common than it seems.

As I've been going through my prep it seems like most of the ordering/sequencing games are considered easier while the grouping games are considered more challenging. However, for me it's the complete opposite. The games that are considered super challenging with multiple types of grouping involved only take me about 4-6 minutes to complete. The games that are supposedly easy and involve only ordering take sometimes take me up to 10-12 minutes!!

Am I making the ordering games harder than they should be? Or does anyone else have a brain that seems to work like this?

It's frustrating! :?

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Anyone else think that grouping games are easiest?

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:27 am

I would guess it is probably just the way your brain works, but maybe research different ways of diagramming and really try to visualize ordering games and apply your spatial reasoning skills.

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Mathematically speaking, you are not insane.

Before any rules are presented, a sequencing game with seven variables, with each variable going in one position has 5040 different ways that you could place the variables.

A two group game with 8 variables and no rules would only have 256 possible scenarios.

Obviously rules in the games drastically reduce the number of possible scenarios in both types, but since there are so many fewer possibilities to start with in a grouping game there is a lot less that the LSAT can do in creating grouping related questions.

That said, many people find sequencing games easier to understand and therefore classify them as "easier" but because there is more possibly going on, it could take longer. Time is not the only factor in assessing difficulty.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 pm

It depends which grouping games you're talking about. There are some grouping games that are so easy. Then again, there are some that are extremely difficult, and require heavy deductions.

LSATPREPPER

New

Post by LSATPREPPER » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 pm

I find In-Out games (Perfect on the CD game on the first try) to be easier than basic sequencing but the hardest grouping games are generally more difficult than the hardest linear games.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 am

I actually prefer undefined grouping games (i.e. birds in the forest). When the rules are the only thing you have to go by, there's a lot less to worry about. You just need a solid understanding of conditional reasoning...

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm

TMC116 wrote:I actually prefer undefined grouping games (i.e. birds in the forest). When the rules are the only thing you have to go by, there's a lot less to worry about. You just need a solid understanding of conditional reasoning...
Yes! I was an Econ major, so I'm a conditional reasoning master :) Sequencing drives me nuts! The first game I ever tried was the one with the clowns exiting the car (preptest 38). It still boggles my mind... but I'm getting better!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”