Really need some October advice!!!

kingjones59

Really need some October advice!!!

Postby kingjones59 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

I need some advice on how to study for October. My cold diagnostic was 150 and I scored a 165 self-studying with tests and power score books, no class. I have a 3.95 GPA and would like to go to a T-14, I would be very happy with Cornell. Cornell says that if your second LSAT is 3 points higher than your first than they will take the highest, so I think it would be beneficial for me to retake in October. I have a few questions. First, how should I go about studying this time? I burned through a lot of tests the first time, I think there are some in the 30’s that I did not do however. I studied for about 3 months, with the last month being really serious at 4-6 hours per day 6-7 days a week. What do I need to do this time to score a 170+? Do I need to spend as much time now that I have timing and basic strategy down? Would a course help me at this point? My breakdown by section on june was -2 LR/-5 LG/-3LR/-8RC . When should I start studying for October and how much time should I be dedicating this time around???

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for good prepbooks to use to take me from 165 to 170+? I used all of the Powescore bibles the first time around, but nothing else (no superprep, etc)

Thanks!

kingjones59

Re: Really need some October advice!!!

Postby kingjones59 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 am

Bump

could really use some advice!

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:15 am

I would re-read parts of your favorite prep books, but beyond that, you should be drilling and PTing throughout most of your prep.

You're in luck because there are some very challenging LGs and RCs in the 30s. (The PTs in the 30s in general are pretty tough.) You'll have plenty of practice there.

Also, don't be afraid to redo PTs, particularly ones you did early on in prep and didn't do well in. Repeating questions will help sink in the correct methods and reasoning.

Additionally, I recommend the Manhattan LSAT strategy guides. They offer unique methods, some of which are superior to PS methods.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

It seems like you have the LR down, so you should really focus on getting LG to -0. It's the easiest to do and that should take you to the upper 160s at least. The new RCs are hard because there are small nuances that separate the correct answer from the wrong one. If you aren't doing it already, I would try to mark important parts of the passage while reading and jot down the main point of each paragraph.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:09 am

So would you say I dont need to spend as much time studying this go around? (I was doing 30 hours a week a month before the test)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”