Should I take a class?

IronSkadden

Should I take a class?

Postby IronSkadden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi there,

I took the June LSAT and scored 167. While I'm happy I scored high enough to get a decent scholly to a T50, I want to go to a T10. I registered for the October test and am aiming for 173+ (my GPA is 3.58).

Do you think I should take a review class?

I studied intensively for the June LSAT by myself, using the LGB, LRB, RCB, Kaplan Mastery, Superprep, and the 3 "10" books. I also took 17 timed, full length prep tests.

My June LSAT breakdown was:

LR1: -2
AR: -5
LR2: -3
RC: -5

My opinion is that a prep class/review class would waste my time by focusing on material I've already covered. I think I should instead hire a tutor to help me smash games and RC.

What do you think?

Also, I've used up all available prep tests. Should I just redo them? Or should I take fake Kaplan tests that are new to me?

Thanks for your input...

flexityflex86

Re: Should I take a class?

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

IronSkadden wrote:Hi there,

I took the June LSAT and scored 167. While I'm happy I scored high enough to get a decent scholly to a T50, I want to go to a T10. I registered for the October test and am aiming for 173+ (my GPA is 3.58).

I studied intensively for the June LSAT by myself, using the LGB, LRB, RCB, Kaplan Mastery, Superprep, and the 3 "10" books. I also took 17 timed, full length prep tests.

My opinion is that a prep class/review class would waste my time by focusing on material I've already covered. I think I should instead hire a tutor to help me smash games and RC.

What do you think?

Also, I've used up all available prep tests. Should I just redo them? Or should I take fake Kaplan tests that are new to me?

Thanks for your input...

a course will be a waste of time as they are like a democratic country - the pace is kind of majority rules. the majority of people in or out of a course is much lower than a 167. i'd argue it'd be a waste at a 160. at a 167 it's a huge waste. analyze the question types you got wrong, and see if there's any trends. 2 sessions with a tutor, and self study is the way to go. you aren't getting things wrong because you're approaching them wrong.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm

btw you're in the top 25 right now with a 100k+ to IU: Bloomington or Cardozo.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02 pm

What do you think?

Thanks for your input...

Get a tutor, although that will help more on games than RC. Getting -5 wrong on RC is gonna be hard to improve much on. Possible, but hard. I would say focus on LR and LG.

And yes....redo preptests. Don't get fake questions. Ever.

zozin

Postby zozin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 pm

From reading this website too much, a big difference between a 16x and 17x scorer is the latter reviews PTs extremely thoroughly. Did you do that on your 17 PTs? Did you review every single Q you got wrong, and fully understood: 1. Why it's wrong, 2. Why You picked it, 3. Why the credited response is... credited.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 pm

What do you think?

Thanks for your input...

Focus on why you are getting that many wrong on games. All things being equal, it's the easiest to improve upon (for a majority of test-takers). I went from -10 or so to -0. Do you have problems with a particular kind of game? I personally found the grouping strategies in Powerscore cumbersome and used Atlas instead (but just for games). Also, the diagramming arrows (-->)used in sequencing in Powerscore were more difficult to visualize so I studied Powerscore but used solid lines ([A-B-C], instead of [A-->B-->C] etc), which was easier for me from a visual standpoint. Powerscore is really, really good but you may have to tweak strategies according to what works best for you.

There's a wealth of other information on this forum if you use the search function. I improved 10 points just by taking advice and combining Powerscore/Atlas.

How are you on time? Are you finishing each section?

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 am

courses are designed for the vast majority of people. the vast majority of people get more than 15 questions wrong on the test. With a 15 in a curve of 11, you scored in the high 160s ( dont know the exact breakdown), which puts you in the 90+ percentile. I would focus on drilling the questions you got wrong, games and RC passages. If you paw around on this site you will get a good indication of prep materials for RC and AR ( aka LG) for you to utilize. Or you could go with a tutor. it might cost a bit more,but it will be specific enough to tackle your weak areas and strengthen your good areas. What you also should do is analyze where in each section and where on the test you made the majority of the mistakes. Did it occur during the later part of the exam ( section 4 and 5) or in the beginning? ALso, think back to how you were on the test? Were you overly anxious or did something throw you off during the break? Was there a part in each section that threw you ( for RC and games review them in the order you attacked them and see if you felt rushed or whatnot during the test- if you can remember that, or if there was a specific question that stumped you and you didnt let go and move on from it soon enough)

You have plenty of time to get ready for october. Take some time to assess where and how you made your mistakes, and start researching your plan of attack to remedy this. You are in a great spot for October- id say you would be allright just keeping the info and skills fresh in your mind for a few weeks and work on other parts of your application like your personal statement or some rough drafts for some school specific essays, then hit it hard in August, but thats up to you.)

dominoski

Postby dominoski » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:37 am

What do you think?

Thanks for your input...

I took a class and it helped me a lot (I started at 158 and jumped 12 points). However, it mostly helped me in that it gave me all the questions and tests and forced me to do the work. I agree that class was a little slow, even for my 158 start. I would get things and want to move on, so in that sense it was wasted time. The class didn't help very much for RC, was decent for LR, and really helped with games. If you're already scoring so high, I think you should just study on your own and keep doing what you're doing but try to understand why you got things wrong and why the correct answers were correct. Maybe get a tutor for the games.

IronSkadden

Postby IronSkadden » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 pm

I will definitely check out Atlas for games, as I solely relied upon Powerscore for the June test.

I hear the Manhattan RC Guide is good. Any opinions?

I ran out of time on the last question of games and had to rush through the last RC passage, but that commonly happened during my PTs as well. Any advice on how to up my RC and LG speed?

I think I will invest in a private tutor...

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:34 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:btw you're in the top 25 right now with a 100k+ to IU: Bloomington or Cardozo.

Cardozo is not in the top 25. It's barely T1.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:btw you're in the top 25 right now with a 100k+ to IU: Bloomington or Cardozo.

Cardozo is not in the top 25. It's barely T1.

or was separate from the top 25.

you can get potato chips like salt & vinegar flavor or pretzels.

i'm not saying pretzels are potato chips.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”