Advice Needed!

bumblebeebuzz

Advice Needed!

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 am

I took the June 2011 LSAT and did terribly. I studied very intensely for about four months and used the Power Score and Manhattan books. I did about 30 practice tests. I felt prepared going in and but clearly something went wrong—had I known how horrible I did I would have canceled my score, but I didn’t feel terrible coming out of the test. I’m definitely going to change my study patterns and try to understand what went wrong. I’m devastated and would love some advice specifically on the following:

1) I’ve taken most of the up to date LSAT practice tests- would it be ok to take those I’ve taken over again? I have about eight tests from the 19-28 section and several earlier than that but only one recent preptest (from within the past five years).

2) Is there some other prep material other than the Power Score and Manhattan books that I should look into?

3) I studied alone for the LSAT—has anyone benefited significantly from studying with others?

4) I have about three months to study for the October LSAT. Is there any schedule I can follow out there for people who have already studied and are retaking (ie not a schedule for someone new to the LSAT).

5) Any other general advice?

Thank you so much!

sharklasers

Re: Advice Needed!

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Honestly it sounds like you've hit your ceiling. Four months of intensive study should've been enough. Get a tutor to find out what your problem is, try again, and then if you still do terribly just forget about it. Law school's not for you.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:45 pm

^^unhelpful much?

1-DO retake tests. If you can forget a lot of questions that's great, but you can learn a lot from redoing a logic game or RC passage. Sprinkle the unused tests into your PTing to give you a good idea of where you're testing at, but don't shy away from using old PTs. Most importantly MAKE SURE YOU'RE REVIEWING THEM THOROUGHLY. Whether you got a question right or wrong, make sure you understand why every answer choice is correct or incorrect. Also, older tests can be useful for prep too, just not necessarily indicative of the current state of things.

2-Have you taken the Superpreps?

3-Check out the October thread. We have a study group that meets regularly and you're more than welcome to join.

4-Again, take a look at the October thread; lots of June takers are formulating their retake schedules right now.

5-If you're going to retake, make sure you're committed to staying focused on the test or it'll be a waste of your time. Cumulatively, I'll have studied for a year once I take in October. Don't let people like the last guy tell you you can't do it if you're willing to put in the necessary time. (thought as an aside, if you have the money to burn on a tutor it could legitimately help in this case if you really can't pinpoint your issues) Some people are more adept at picking up the strategies and learning what's necessary to get a good score. Others have to "brute force" it and take more time. If you're understand what it takes and you're committed to it, then go for it.

Best of luck :)

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 pm

tmon wrote:^^unhelpful much?1-DO retake tests. If you can forget a lot of questions that's great, but you can learn a lot from redoing a logic game or RC passage. Sprinkle the unused tests into your PTing to give you a good idea of where you're testing at, but don't shy away from using old PTs. Most importantly MAKE SURE YOU'RE REVIEWING THEM THOROUGHLY. Whether you got a question right or wrong, make sure you understand why every answer choice is correct or incorrect. Also, older tests can be useful for prep too, just not necessarily indicative of the current state of things.

2-Have you taken the Superpreps?

3-Check out the October thread. We have a study group that meets regularly and you're more than welcome to join.

4-Again, take a look at the October thread; lots of June takers are formulating their retake schedules right now.

5-If you're going to retake, make sure you're committed to staying focused on the test or it'll be a waste of your time. Cumulatively, I'll have studied for a year once I take in October. Don't let people like the last guy tell you you can't do it if you're willing to put in the necessary time. (thought as an aside, if you have the money to burn on a tutor it could legitimately help in this case if you really can't pinpoint your issues) Some people are more adept at picking up the strategies and learning what's necessary to get a good score. Others have to "brute force" it and take more time. If you're understand what it takes and you're committed to it, then go for it.

Best of luck :)

The test is learnable, therefore there IS room to improve.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 pm

bumblebeebuzz wrote:I took the June 2011 LSAT and did terribly. I studied very intensely for about four months and used the Power Score and Manhattan books. I did about 30 practice tests. I felt prepared going in and but clearly something went wrong—had I known how horrible I did I would have canceled my score, but I didn’t feel terrible coming out of the test. I’m definitely going to change my study patterns and try to understand what went wrong. I’m devastated and would love some advice specifically on the following:

1) I’ve taken most of the up to date LSAT practice tests- would it be ok to take those I’ve taken over again? I have about eight tests from the 19-28 section and several earlier than that but only one recent preptest (from within the past five years).

2) Is there some other prep material other than the Power Score and Manhattan books that I should look into?

3) I studied alone for the LSAT—has anyone benefited significantly from studying with others?

4) I have about three months to study for the October LSAT. Is there any schedule I can follow out there for people who have already studied and are retaking (ie not a schedule for someone new to the LSAT).

5) Any other general advice?

Thank you so much!

1) I wouldn't retake LSATs you've already done. That isn't very productive or helpful.

2) If you have the Bibles and Manhattan books, you have all the instruction you need. Don't try and find new methods to answer the questions. Practice the ones you have. Buy and preptests you havent done and get LSAT Superprep (more on that later...)

3) I studied alone so I can't speak to that

4) Approach the next three months fresh, like you've never seen an LSAT question in your life. You have plenty of time so there's no reason to cut corners and skip some stuff. If you do, it will show up on the LSAT and bite you.Pithypike's guide is stickied to this forum. People on TLS seem to swear by it. It's a 3 month LSAT plan and it'll definitely do you some good. Use it.

5) Save your 8 preptests for the last month of studying before the October Exam.

Buy LSAT Superprep that will give you 3 more tests and, most importantly, explanation for each answer. So you can go over each question (not just the ones you got wrong)

Don't just take a bunch of tests and count it as "studying". You...must...review. Look over your answers and understand why you got them wrong. Review is the most important part (and it's one that i have personally neglected for a long time). Be diligent with this or you're wasting your time

Get all the logic games from the first 39 tests except the 8 tests that you havent done yet. Do them all 4 times over the next three months (Pithypike's article goes in depth on how to do this effectively. So that needs to be your bible until October 2nd).

bumblebeebuzz

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you so much for the advice! I really do think I can improve my score. As I reflect on my LSAT prep I'm starting to see how I can really improve my studying. I definitely will join the October study thread and I also think I may invest in a tutor. Thanks again for the great advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”