Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed?

merlin2009

Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed?

Postby merlin2009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed? I assume the "disclosure book" implies that the test has been, in fact, disclosed.

I think I read that this forum doesn't like posting questions, but is it legal now in general?

Audio Technica Guy

Re: Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed?

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:48 pm

merlin2009 wrote:Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed? I assume the "disclosure book" implies that the test has been, in fact, disclosed.

I think I read that this forum doesn't like posting questions, but is it legal now in general?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "is it legal?" One question that is easy to answer though is "does the board allow you to post anything other than vague generalities and question numbers?" That answer is no.

Second question is "Is it legal to repost, word for word, a question?" The answer is it depends on what you mean by legal, but mostly, no. You won't go to jail or be fined or anything, but you could have to pay damages for copyright violation, and this board might have to as well. It's not illegal in the sense of being criminal, but you could be liable in civil courts.

Third question is "can you talk about questions, as long as you don't directly quote them?" This is almost certainly legal and you wouldn't be liable for civil damages. LSAC likes to play pretend that you can't, but this would never hold up in any court. You can talk about copyrighted material all till your little heart is content. If LSAC figured out it was you, they could, perhaps, cancel your score, but they would lose if they tried to sue you.

Fourth question is, "if it's not illegal, and if they'd never win, why doesn't the board allow us to openly talk about questions?" Threat of litigation. LSAC has money. TLS doesn't. You can use the courts to bully your way into submission, even if you prayer of winning, just by threatening litigation with parties that can't afford it. See The Church of Scientology. So TLS doesn't allow discussion of actual LSAT questions.

merlin2009

Postby merlin2009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:
merlin2009 wrote:Can we talk about questions, now that the test is disclosed? I assume the "disclosure book" implies that the test has been, in fact, disclosed.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "is it legal?" One question that is easy to answer though is "does the board allow you to post anything other than vague generalities and question numbers?" That answer is no.

Second question is "Is it legal to repost, word for word, a question?" The answer is it depends on what you mean by legal, but mostly, no. You won't go to jail or be fined or anything, but you could have to pay damages for copyright violation, and this board might have to as well. It's not illegal in the sense of being criminal, but you could be liable in civil courts.

Third question is "can you talk about questions, as long as you don't directly quote them?" This is almost certainly legal and you wouldn't be liable for civil damages. LSAC likes to play pretend that you can't, but this would never hold up in any court. You can talk about copyrighted material all till your little heart is content. If LSAC figured out it was you, they could, perhaps, cancel your score, but they would lose if they tried to sue you.

Fourth question is, "if it's not illegal, and if they'd never win, why doesn't the board allow us to openly talk about questions?" Threat of litigation. LSAC has money. TLS doesn't. You can use the courts to bully your way into submission, even if you prayer of winning, just by threatening litigation with parties that can't afford it. See The Church of Scientology. So TLS doesn't allow discussion of actual LSAT questions.

My question was way less complicated. I was just wondering if I could compare answer sheets with other people who've taken the test and gotten their scores to see what questions we got right/wrong.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 pm

merlin2009 wrote:

My question was way less complicated. I was just wondering if I could compare answer sheets with other people who've taken the test and gotten their scores to see what questions we got right/wrong.

On here, or in real life?

merlin2009

Postby merlin2009 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 pm

merlin2009 wrote:

On here, or in real life?

Well real life first, but I thought if ppl wanted to go over the test on here we could email and compare too. I guess that counts as real life also since it's not on the boards.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:05 pm

merlin2009 wrote:Well real life first, but I thought if ppl wanted to go over the test on here we could email and compare too. I guess that counts as real life also since it's not on the boards.

Yes, you can.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”