170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I just received my score and went over the questions. I missed 11, 6 of those from RC. On the PTs leading up to the real thing, I was averaging anywhere from -0 to -3 on RC. Should I retake? I dream of going to Columbia, but more realistically, I want to ED at NYU. I know with my GPA of 3.6 & 170, it's basically hopeless, since I'm not a URM. Thanks for all of your advice in advance!

[edit]

I forgot to add that my PT average was 172. Lowest was 168 and highest 178.

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby SoPro » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Follow your heart.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby glitched » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:30 pm

i took it in october, got a 170, averaged around 169, high at 178, got into one of my dream schools, and i STILL wish i retook because of one thing....


scholarships.

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Can't really hurt to retake, with schools tending to weight the higher score more now, if not outright taking the higher score.

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

glitched wrote:i took it in october, got a 170, averaged around 169, high at 178, got into one of my dream schools, and i STILL wish i retook because of one thing....


scholarships.


The tuition isn't really a big issue for me because my parents are willing to pay for it. I would REALLY love to go to Columbia/NYU and I'm afraid that it isn't possible anymore with this score.

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby TMC116 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Yeah it isnt realistic with a 170 and a 3.6. You're right at their 25% as a URM.

If you retake though, you *have* to do better than a 170. If you slump and hit 160s, you're sunk

Just a thought...

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

TMC116 wrote:Yeah it isnt realistic with a 170 and a 3.6. You're right at their 25% as a URM.

If you retake though, you *have* to do better than a 170. If you slump and hit 160s, you're sunk

Just a thought...


I don't think that this is true at all.. no school outside the T6 will think twice about a 170/167 for example (which are the schools he/she would be looking at with the current numbers anyway).. in OP's case I would say that there is no harm in retaking

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby BrightLine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Tough call. Unless you are dead set on T6 i would say not to retake. Target each school with specific PS's and you should hit in the T13 and maybe T6.

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:39 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
TMC116 wrote:Yeah it isnt realistic with a 170 and a 3.6. You're right at their 25% as a URM.

If you retake though, you *have* to do better than a 170. If you slump and hit 160s, you're sunk

Just a thought...


I don't think that this is true at all.. no school outside the T6 will think twice about a 170/167 for example (which are the schools he/she would be looking at with the current numbers anyway).. in OP's case I would say that there is no harm in retaking


Do a lot of people score lower? As I said in the first post, my average was higher and the section I did the worst is the section I usually do a lot better in.

ams
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby ams » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I think a retake is advisable here if you really want Columbia or NYU. Some people score lower but not most (I retook a 167 and got a 177). How long did you study and how many PTs did you take?

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 pm

ams wrote:I think a retake is advisable here if you really want Columbia or NYU. Some people score lower but not most (I retook a 167 and got a 177). How long did you study and how many PTs did you take?


I studied from January, but I took a couple weeks off here and there. I took every PT from 19 to 61. The thing that's nagging at me is that I got 6 wrong in RC, when I usually got 0-3 wrong. The first passage, Kate Chopin, really threw me off and I was thinking about it during the entire section. How did you study for your retake, if you don't mind me asking?

User avatar
Older Chest
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby Older Chest » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:37 pm

glitched wrote:i took it in october, got a 170, averaged around 169, high at 178, got into one of my dream schools, and i STILL wish i retook because of one thing....


scholarships.

This is wonderful advice. The potential scholarship money alone is worth a retake. Also, you will likely need a higher LSAT to get NYU. Once you get the new score you will be money. NYU says they average, but they didn't in my case, so don't worry about that.

Good luck.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby northwood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 pm

how did you do on the other sections compared to your average? If you ended up getting the same number of questions incorrect on the test- then I would say to probably retake only if you know you can do better on the entire test as a whole. If you know that RC was an abnormal section for you- and that the rest of the test went well- then retake.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Older Chest wrote:
glitched wrote:i took it in october, got a 170, averaged around 169, high at 178, got into one of my dream schools, and i STILL wish i retook because of one thing....


scholarships.

This is wonderful advice. The potential scholarship money alone is worth a retake. Also, you will likely need a higher LSAT to get NYU. Once you get the new score you will be money. NYU says they average, but they didn't in my case, so don't worry about that.

Good luck.


Curious....how do you know they didn't in your case? Did you have 1 very low score and 1 very high score and they still let you in?

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby BrightLine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:58 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
Older Chest wrote:
glitched wrote:i took it in october, got a 170, averaged around 169, high at 178, got into one of my dream schools, and i STILL wish i retook because of one thing....


scholarships.

This is wonderful advice. The potential scholarship money alone is worth a retake. Also, you will likely need a higher LSAT to get NYU. Once you get the new score you will be money. NYU says they average, but they didn't in my case, so don't worry about that.

Good luck.


Curious....how do you know they didn't in your case? Did you have 1 very low score and 1 very high score and they still let you in?


And even if they did that in your case, it does not mean that it is their policy. Retaking a 170 should not be done lightly


"Retake" is autoresponse on TLS. But 172 was your average, a couple of point drop from the average is normal and you got a 170 which is a great score. If you retake maybe you could get a 173, does a 170,173 look appreciably better than 170?

jeninamillion
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 am

Re: 170 but abnormal number wrong on RC, retake?

Postby jeninamillion » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied! I signed up for the retake because I think I just had a bad RC section. This time around, I'm going to just focus on the question/passage at hand and not dwell on the previous ones. Now it's time to find/make a retake study schedule. Any suggestions?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, CHyde, ltowns1, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests