Help! Contemplating cancelling score for 6/26 overseas LSAT

kilgoretrout66

Help! Contemplating cancelling score for 6/26 overseas LSAT

Postby kilgoretrout66 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:08 am

I`d appreciate any thoughts you guys have to spare on my situation:

Took the LSAT yesterday in Tokyo, which is several hundred miles away from where I work as an English teacher in rural Japan. Unfortunately, the night before the test, a combination of lingering pneumonia (occupational hazard - I catch what my classes catch) and old-fashioned nerves meant that I didn`t sleep for more the 1.5 hours the night before the test. I considered not showing up for the test, thought better of it, chugged some coffee and took it anyways, and feel like it went surprisingly well - had answers for every question, didn`t feel too rushed, etc. etc.

I want to have a shot at Boalt Hall or HYS. I`d been pretty consistent on my practice tests, usually scoring between 175 and 178 as the test day got closer, but I`m worried that in my sleep-deprived, caffeine-addled state, I may have gotten way lower than that without realizing it. My GPA from a top liberal arts college is within the medians for Boalt and HYS, but not above them. I haven`t published any novels or won any gold medals, so I feel like a solid score is necessary for me to be competitive at these places. My question is this: Should I cancel my score and retake the test in October when I (hopefully) don`t have mycoplasmic pnuemonia, or take a chance with yesterday`s score (with the option of retaking if it turns out to be terrible)? Boalt Hall is kind to people who take the test twice and only considers the higher score, but a sub-par showing could really hurt my chances at HYS even if I do well on the retake. I`m currently leaning towards keeping the score, but I`d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

LSATPREPPER

Re: Help! Contemplating cancelling score for 6/26 overseas LSAT

Postby LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkTQlzbTqTM

What is your GPA? If you really feel like you have a shot and doing better in October and want HYS cancel.

gggrra

Postby gggrra » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:33 am

LSATPREPPER wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkTQlzbTqTM

What is your GPA? If you really feel like you have a shot and doing better in October and want HYS cancel.

says 3.9 in his profile, so probably 3.85-3.94

I think if it felt okay, you should keep. Even if it's slightly lower than your averages, it won't be devastating because your GPA's at median for HY. What do you think your worst case scenario is? Will you be taking it in Tokyo again? Can you put forth the effort to maintain your skill until oct?

If I were in your situation I would probably keep, fwiw.

LSATPREPPER

Postby LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 am

RC fail. I didn't see that you thought it feel fine - don't cancel.

kilgoretrout66

Postby kilgoretrout66 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

My GPA's 3.87, which meant PBK at my school. I think it's possible that I got as low as a 170 (if I screwed up a logic game without realizing it or something), but then again, I suppose a 180's possible, if I'm absurdly lucky. It would be a pain in the a**, but I suppose I can always spend September studying and take the test in Tokyo again in October if necessary. Since I honestly have no clue about the score, and it probably won't hurt me too much in the long run, seems like the only reasonable thing to do is stop thinking about it, drink a beer, and keep the score. Thanks for the responses!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”