New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby happyshapy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Has anyone bought the new LR prep book from Manhattan LSAT?? I saw on amazon that the 2nd edition has 500 pages. The one I'm using now came out in 2009 and it only has 230 pages. I really like the way atlas categorizes LR questions so I'd buy the new one if it had more information, but not if it's just more practice questions. I would go for more practice, but I already have LR grouped by type from PTs 1-41. Can anyone who has both comment on the difference?

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:22 pm

I just bought it last week and am a few chapters into it. It's good so far, I like the way they explain things. I have the LRB too, but haven't started it yet so I can't compare the two. People on TLS generally recommend the Manhattan LR book over the LRB, though.

EDIT: RC fail, I read "comment on the difference" and for some reason assumed you meant the difference between the Manhattan and PowerScore LR books. I don't have both editions of the Manhattan book, however there seems to be a fair amount of practice problems in the newer version. There is a "Drill It" section after every question type that they cover, as well as a pretty lengthy (70 page) chapter on conditional logic, which I found very helpful.
Last edited by Paraflam on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:24 pm

happyshapy wrote:Has anyone bought the new LR prep book from Manhattan LSAT?? I saw on amazon that the 2nd edition has 500 pages. The one I'm using now came out in 2009 and it only has 230 pages. I really like the way atlas categorizes LR questions so I'd buy the new one if it had more information, but not if it's just more practice questions. I would go for more practice, but I already have LR grouped by type from PTs 1-41. Can anyone who has both comment on the difference?


get the new one, totally worth it. From what i remember, the updated version has more, better drills, and they do rephrase the methodology (question type lessons) to make it even more understandable than in the first edition.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby dasani13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 am

Paraflam wrote:People on TLS generally recommend the Manhattan LR book over the LRB, though.


How did you come to that conclusion? Most people I've spoken to on here recommended the LR Bible over Manhattan.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby glucose101 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:29 am

dasani13 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:People on TLS generally recommend the Manhattan LR book over the LRB, though.


How did you come to that conclusion? Most people I've spoken to on here recommended the LR Bible over Manhattan.


Really? I have both and M is by far better.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby dasani13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:01 am

Ya, most people told me the LR and LG bibles are better than Manhattan's LR and LG guides but that Manhattan's RC guide is better than the RC bible.

I guess it depends on whom you ask.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby tmon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 am

If money isn't a huge barrier, go with both. Manhattan has a really solid discussion of the "assumption" category questions, in that they make the necessary/sufficient types distinct. If I had to recommend a way to use both, I'd say start with the LRB and once done with that supplement with MLSAT. But that's assuming you have the money and time to use both effectively.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby glucose101 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 am

I was hinting at the fact that I've read both, and that M is better. I didn't hear it from people; I used both.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby Paraflam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 am

dasani13 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:People on TLS generally recommend the Manhattan LR book over the LRB, though.


How did you come to that conclusion? Most people I've spoken to on here recommended the LR Bible over Manhattan.

Well, you've been a member here for less than a month, and I've been here almost 3 years, so I think I may have a better understanding of what is generally recommended here. Reading people's responses to threads exactly like this made me come to that conclusion.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby dasani13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Paraflam wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:People on TLS generally recommend the Manhattan LR book over the LRB, though.


How did you come to that conclusion? Most people I've spoken to on here recommended the LR Bible over Manhattan.

Well, you've been a member here for less than a month, and I've been here almost 3 years, so I think I may have a better understanding of what is generally recommended here. Reading people's responses to threads exactly like this made me come to that conclusion.


I've been reading stuff on TLS for over 3 years, but I'm not gonna say you're wrong and I'm right just because I've been here longer. You could be right-- maybe the Manhattan LR Guide is much better than the PowerScore LR Bible. But I was just giving the OP my opinion based on what I've heard/seen recommended more often. Also, I think it's important to pay attention to who is it that is recommending it. (Pithypike and LSAT Blog both recommend the PowerScore LR Bible over Manhattan LR.)


glucose101 wrote: I didn't hear it from people; I used both.



Congratulations.
Last edited by dasani13 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby glucose101 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:17 am

dasani13 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
Congratulations.


Wow, lol.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:47 am

dasani13 wrote:I've been reading stuff on TLS for over 3 years, but I'm not gonna say you're wrong and I'm right just because I've been here longer.

I can perpetuate the pissing contest and say I lurked TLS for 3 years before I made an account too, that doesn't mean it's true. If you had been reading posts on TLS for over 3 years, you wouldn't have started a thread a couple weeks ago asking if the RCB or MLSAT RC book is better, because you already would have come across countless threads discussing that very subject. Nor would you have started a thread asking where to find a study schedule, because you would've already known about LSAT blog and that it's considered a legit resource. Same thing with your thread asking how to calculate your LSAC GPA. These are all noob threads, so don't give me that bullshit about how you've been here longer.

dasani13 wrote:You could be right-- maybe the Manhattan LR Guide is much better than the PowerScore LR Bible. But I was just giving the OP my opinion, which was based on what I've heard/seen recommended more often.

Me being right about what I said doesn't implicate that the MLSAT LR book is BETTER than the LRB. That wasn't my point. My point was that I have seen the majority of people here (>50%) recommend it over the other LR books available. That's different from stating which book is objectively "better." And either way, that's not even what this thread is about, so your argument is irrelevant.

dasani13 wrote: Also, I think it's important to pay attention to whom is it that is recommending it. (Pithypike and LSAT Blog both recommend the PowerScore LR Bible over Manhattan LR.)

Again, totally irrelevant, but you're assuming that Pithypike and Steve Schwartz have both USED the MLSAT book and are therefore able to compare it to the LRB and establish preference of one over the other. What's important to pay attention to, regarding people who offer suggestions on books, is if they have actually read both of the books to be able to compare them (like gluclose101, which makes your smartass comment to him/her unnecessary).

What a noobtard.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby dasani13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:04 am

I would individually quote every sentence you just wrote and point out how I disagree with you but I don't care as much as you do. In reference to the threads I started, which you actually took the time to read them (lol): again, just because I've been here for a long time doesn't mean I know everything-- I was giving my opinion, kid.

ps.: you should go re-read my threads because you missed the point of all 3 of them!! (I heard Manhattan is great for RC.)

Take care.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby Paraflam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 am

Noobs these days...
Image

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby glucose101 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 am

Paraflam>dasani13

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby KevinP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:35 am

Image

User avatar
caravaggisto
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: New Manhattan LSAT (atlas) LR prep book

Postby caravaggisto » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Firstly, thanks for everyone's recommendations and perspectives wrt powerscore and atlas/manhattan. Both of these books have strong supporters in their amazon reviews (respectively). Looks like there's not a clear difference, but due to its reputation, I'll just go with powerscore.

Secondly, to dasani13 and Paraflam, maybe you guys are having bad weekends or something, but why are you wasting valuable neural activity on such a meaningless conflict? Even if it's about ego, there are far more propitious venues for self-aggrandizement than an internet forum.

By the way, if you're going to try to sound smart, use correct grammar:
dasani13 wrote: ...to whom is it...

Paraflam wrote:Me being...

and,

KevinP wrote:Image

Haha... well spake, Kevin.

--

"Eschew obfuscation."
- Anonymous




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests